What used desktop to buy for CFS3?

Thread: What used desktop to buy for CFS3?

What used desktop to buy for CFS3?

Hey all, looking for some advice here.

I used to fly CFS3 on an emachines 6520 with CRT monitor.

Monitor died and I replaced it with a Dell 23" IPS, but just hooked it up VGA. PC had no DVI out.

Now the computer is dead.

Would like to replace it so I can fly again, but a brand-new unit doesn't make sense. I only use the desktop for CFS3; I use my laptop for everything else.

Looking to spend $100 to $200 tops for a used desktop just for CFS3. Want to use with my 23" LCD.

What do you recommend?

I'm leaning toward an old Dell XPS, like a 420 to 710 model. Maybe add an SSD.

These can be had with everything from XP to 10 installed. I have an old XP install disc i can probably use, if not, i can buy XP for about $20 on eBay.

I can pickup on old 420 for $40 to $60 with no HDD. Another $40 for a small SSD. Another $20 for XP if needed. Total would be $100 to $120.

I've read that with FSX, CPU power matters more than the graphic card. Is this true of CFS3 too?

Ive also heard that folks have had issues with multi-core CPUs with CFS3. Am I better off looking for an older machine with a single-core CPU instead?

Bottom line, I'd like to run CFS3 at 1920 x 1080, all sliders on high, with a good framerate. Doable within budget?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

-=6=-

Graphics card is a big consideration along with CPU and amount of RAM. The SSHD is also helpful in speeding things up. If you're handy, why not get a new mother board and CPU for the box you already have?

I think the PSU is shot. And its proprietary.

Graphics are integrated (Radeon 200) so there is no GPU to carry over.

Basically, i think i can buy someone elses used desktop that's newer and nicer for less money than it would take to fix and improve this one.

SOH-CM-2023
    I run my CFS2 and FSX on off-lease DELL desktops that I have found on EBay. Make sure you get one from a reputable seller (someone with 98% or better positive comments). Pick the hard drive, Op system and RAM that you want. You will probably have to upgrade the video card.

That's basically what I had to do for mine. They have been running for YEARS !!

MS flight sims (FSX, FS9, CFS3 etc) value CPU speed over modern graphics card power. Dual or quad core processors work fine. nVidia video cards are generally preferred, but for that money I wouldn't be too fussy as long as you have plenty RAM: try to get 4GB (or more) if you can.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks all for the input.

I'm looking at mid-tower desktops, circa 2011 to 2012.

CPUs would be from i3-2100 to i5-3470 (all Sandy Bridge).

PSU would be around 320, OEM.

it looks like a 750 ti would be a safe bet for a graphics card.

But there are also 75w versions of the GTX 950 now that don't require a six-pin connector.

Since I ONLY plan to play CFS3 on this box, does anyone think the GTX 950 is worth the extra $?

Or is a 750 ti more than enough to play CFS3 at 1920 x 1080?

Thanks again!

-=6=-

Quote Originally Posted by Six O'Clock Shadow View Post
    Thanks all for the input.

I'm looking at mid-tower desktops, circa 2011 to 2012.

CPUs would be from i3-2100 to i5-3470 (all Sandy Bridge).

PSU would be around 320, OEM.

it looks like a 750 ti would be a safe bet for a graphics card.

But there are also 75w versions of the GTX 950 now that don't require a six-pin connector.

Since I ONLY plan to play CFS3 on this box, does anyone think the GTX 950 is worth the extra $?

Or is a 750 ti more than enough to play CFS3 at 1920 x 1080?

Thanks again!

-=6=-
    CPU get the one that runs at the highest Ghz.
    Vcard check Google 750 ti vs 950 think the 950 is better, guess you are going for an used one, only If going for a new Vcard, skip these and get the GTX1050 or the 1050ti both do not need the extra 6pin conection.

Thanks, Dutch!

Can anyone advise whether CFS3 makes use of more than one CPU core?

Or should I only look at single core performance when comparing CPUs?

If so, a machine with an i3-2120 is very close to an i5-3470 in single thread performance.

And the i3-2120 machines are about half the price.

Thoughts?

-=6=-

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Six O'Clock Shadow View Post
    Thanks, Dutch!

Can anyone advise whether CFS3 makes use of more than one CPU core?

Or should I only look at single core performance when comparing CPUs?

If so, a machine with an i3-2120 is very close to an i5-3470 in single thread performance.

And the i3-2120 machines are about half the price.

Thoughts?

-=6=-
    yes mainly interested in single core performance, outright clock speed. I think Ankor has written his shaders so they can take advantage of multicores but I do not know how much significance that has - I've always just looked at the outright clock speed of each core. Dunno about difs between i-cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    yes mainly interested in single core performance, outright clock speed. I think Ankor has written his shaders so they can take advantage of multicores but I do not know how much significance that has - I've always just looked at the outright clock speed of each core. Dunno about difs between i-cores.
    I do not play CFS3 anymore because WoffUE does not need the CFS3 disk. In case of Woff UE, it would this advice : forget the i3 and get the i5.
    I do hope an real CFS3 player would interfere inhere.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Planning on building my own gaming rig. A great site to get you instructed on this is http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/ Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Planning my next gaming rig to run WOFF in the highest settings along with the upcoming CFS3 redone by the WOFF team,the new Il-2's,Flaming Cliffs3 and other future sims. Good to plan ahead. Currently running all CFS3 expansions and 3 custom installs of CFS3,Il-2'46-2 installs, ROF, Flaming Cliffs 2, OFF BHaH, Falcon4 BMS and getting BoB II WOV. Play all on a used high-end laptop for now and in Win 7 64 bit.

Thanks all for the input. And thanks Dutch for the tip on the 1050 ti.

Hasn't arrived yet, but i recently fished this out of the bay:

Dell Optiplex 9010 Tower (MT)
    i5 3570, 3.4 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    500 GB HDD
    Radeon 7570

Paid $116, shipped!

I'm sure the CPU is up to the task of running CFS3. We'll see if the 7570 is, as well. If not, will probably replace with 1050 ti or similar.

Machine comes with Win 10, but originally came with 7 Pro. I'm thinking it probably still has the 7 COA sticker.

Given the hassle folks have had running CFS3 on 10, I'm thinking of rolling the machine back to 7, one way or another.

Thanks again!

-=6=-

Blog Entries
    I recommend Win7 64bit for CFS3. As there lots of problems with Win10 to me and Win 7 supports a lot of ram. Good CPU,ram and video card needed. Did you get yours from ebay ? Checking all the pawn shops for one too. You never know what they will have a beater or a treasure . Just keen shopping at a pawn shop because the HD must be replaced because you don't know where it has been,content wise.

Blog Entries
    Will be around $1500 to build a gaming rig myself or get lucky at the pawn shop. Quit smoking to pay for it. On a set income ,car problems and health issues have gotten in the way....now plumbing problems...it's always something.

Members who have read this thread: 0