Gmax Video Tutorial Series - Beginning Modeler
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gmax Video Tutorial Series - Beginning Modeler

Gmax Video Tutorial Series - Beginning Modeler

FWIW, since I am wrapping up development project work, I am tentatively planning a full video tutorial series for beginning or learning gmax users covering all processes from project start to VC including mapping, creating VC, VC gauge back lighting, exporting, followed by panel setup and placing gauges, flight model setup with aircraft.cfg focusing on reference points, load-out, setting up contact points and suspension, setting eye point, fuel tank placement, flaps, etc.

This will be similar to the C-162 Cessna series but in video format and more comprehensive toward getting the product in the sim and flying.
    The target sim will be FS9 but the concepts and processes are the focus.

All video tutorials will be uploaded to YouTube.
    EDIT: You will find the links HERE

Subject aircraft are under consideration at the moment.
    I will be a few months getting up to speed as we are trying to get the A-20 Havoc project completed.

Aircraft candidates are currently the Vultee XP-54 Swoose Goose and the Martin Marauder B-26B but I am still evaluating aircraft that will cover the most important scenarios in development.
    A more expedient approach of course would be to use an existing project(s) so that too is under consideration. I could focus more on concepts and less on exact construction.

So, we shall see how this pans out; more later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a1.jpg   a2.jpg  
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; January 28th, 2017 at 10:39.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I am exactly your target audience. I can almost make a 3d hangar at this point.
    I have the time, but my wife says I have no money, so this is a great opportunity to learn new skills that take little funding.

Really looking forward to this as it develops.
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

Front row seat, please.
    I'm semi-functional in gmax and blender, but still get hung in the numerous iterations trying to get filets, cockpits and canopies done well.
    Thanks for this offer and everything else you've already helped with including inspiration.

Regards,
    slacker

Thanks Gentlemen. It does take a little time to get on your feet but it does come to you with some visual help making it easier, either graphic or video to reinforce basic tasks and processes.

I remember when I was starting just how frustrating it was to do the simplest of tasks just moving about the screen and doing the most basic actions.

Maybe one should talk first about such things to get over that hump. It seems many fall by the wayside with the most basic of struggles.

I will try to address that up front.

I took some lit wire-frame screen shots of the A-20 I completed that is now awaiting textures thinking that might inspire some.

EDIT: Two FSX screen shots that show early work on paint kit by "wellis", establishing panel lines before rivets are done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-25-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-25-002.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-25-003.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-25-004.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-25-005.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-26-007.jpg  

HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-26-008.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I posted the previous post on Christmas day. The next day, I decided to start the XP-54 as a possible video tutorial subject.

In the past 8 days, this has been my progress working 8-14 hours per day except New Year's Eve.

I discovered that this one was more challenging than it looks and I thought but still a great exercise.

Have not decided yet how I will proceed, but the exterior is now completed and I will start mapping for textures tonight.

After that, I will work on a basic VCockpit.

Yesterday, I set it up in the sim creating a flight model and basic panel support and some textures.

This is where I am now.

I have not found any cockpit pictures of this aircraft but will make do with what I can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-28-002.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-29-008.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-30-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-30-008.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-31-005.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-dec-31-025.jpg  

HOMEUNIT-2017-jan-3-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-jan-3-008.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Update: Finished mapping for textures today.

Now, on to creating the VC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2017-jan-4-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-jan-4-002.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Since no pics or drawings of the XP-54 cockpit can be found, I decided to merge the VC parts from my Republic XP-72. It fit near perfectly.

We now have painters busy with textures and continue to finalize the model, tweak the flight model, and then modify the panel and gauges for this engine.

Life is Good! :-)

I may use parts of this project for the video series as there are some interesting things here to share regarding cross sections and use of the primitive Circle instead of Line to get started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WIP VC.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I may use parts of this project for the video series as there are some interesting things here to share regarding cross sections and use of the primitive Circle instead of Line to get started.
    I hope you do...I am currently learning Blender as FSDS just doesn't do what I want. I am sure that GMax and Blender are pretty close in how they work...just a matter of seeing how Blender's menus would line-up with GMax ones (at least I hope...).

Still would be cool to see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    I hope you do...I am currently learning Blender as FSDS just doesn't do what I want. I am sure that GMax and Blender are pretty close in how they work...just a matter of seeing how Blender's menus would line-up with GMax ones (at least I hope...).

Still would be cool to see.
    There is a large user set and help of Blender over at http://www.fsdeveloper.com/ and specific forum at http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/blender.136/
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    ... I am sure that GMax and Blender are pretty close in how they work...just a matter of seeing how Blender's menus would line-up with GMax ones (at least I hope...)...
    Um. Having looked a bit at Blender and especially followed a tutorial on using it for FS modelling it isn't so similar to Gmax as to make one the near equivalent of the other to learn. If you're already learning Blender then keep with it, but my impressions are that the methods are a bit different in approach to Gmax. Users of each have reported the other to be weird!!

They're both excellent tools for FS modelling, if the end results are to be judged.

http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads...detail.434661/
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Will have 3 days starting tomorrow and I intend to start the video series.

The first 1-2 (depending on length) will be general for new users of gmax focusing on setup, key tools familiarity, manipulation of Viewports depending on current activity, and getting ready to model.
    Just basic stuff to get one comfortable with moving about and making things usable, and elimination some of the basic frustrations of not knowing anything about anything. :-)
    I will likely post them on YouTube Thursday.
    Once you have had a chance to view them, and maybe try some things on your own, questions and feedback here would help so I may revisit and flesh out the first two tutes before moving on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2017-jan-9-001.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Just an update here on the video tute series: I have been working on finding the best software and settings to do these videos, have tried 3 packages, and many different settings to ensure quality of the video. Finally settled on two and with varying results skewed by the Opera browser that led me astray with viewing quality. After many trials and 6 recordings of the 1st video, I finally got it published. The raw videos are 2GB before processing (about 10 minutes worth). After compression, file size is around 35MB and that is very reasonable for uploading to YouTube. The initial size creates some problems with finalizing for Camstudio and wants to blow off in file saving. Very irritating! I have recorded video 2 twice now, each failing, so I am looking for different initial recording options.

I should have videos 1-3 up today and if so, will publish them publicly for you.

I'll get settled in soon and be able to roll with these tutes ... I think. Patience. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Just an update here on the video tute series: I have been working on finding the best software and settings to do these videos, have tried 3 packages, and many different settings to ensure quality of the video. Finally settled on two and with varying results skewed by the Opera browser that led me astray with viewing quality. After many trials and 6 recordings of the 1st video, I finally got it published. The raw videos are 2GB before processing (about 10 minutes worth). After compression, file size is around 35MB and that is very reasonable for uploading to YouTube. The initial size creates some problems with finalizing for Camstudio and wants to blow off in file saving. Very irritating! I have recorded video 2 twice now, each failing, so I am looking for different initial recording options.

I should have videos 1-3 up today and if so, will publish them publicly for you.

I'll get settled in soon and be able to roll with these tutes ... I think. Patience. :-)

I went through a long and rather...errr...painful learning curve with video. If you have not looked at DXtory for your capture you might want to take a look. I got the best frame synchronization and overall optimization from that package. I'm using Cyberlink CD, but Camstudio should work well with DXtory.

I can email you the setup if you do take a look in that direction Milton.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I went through a long and rather...errr...painful learning curve with video. If you have not looked at DXtory for your capture you might want to take a look. I got the best frame synchronization and overall optimization from that package. I'm using Cyberlink CD, but Camstudio should work well with DXtory.

I can email you the setup if you do take a look in that direction Milton.
    Gordon, I have invested 3 days and have one video completed (after around 18 attempts on two videos.

Finally found the reason: Camstudio can not handle files greater than 2Gigs. That limits me to 12 minute videos; not possible to work within those constraints.

Downloaded tested two highly recommended recorders; no good for gmax recording.

Looked at what you suggested; only available with license thru a hack otherwise payware. Will not do a hack; may do payware depending on cost.

Still chasing solutions.

Thanks

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Will not do a hack; may do payware depending on cost.

Still chasing solutions.

Thanks
    I think you can get a trial version to do an evaluation before you put down money Milton.
    I tried the NVIDIA screen recorder and quite a few payware demos before I settled on my final choices.

If you go do the trial version, PM me and I'll point you to a setup that works really well for me. There are one or two critical bits that can make or break the whole process.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I think you can get a trial version to do an evaluation before you put down money Milton.
    I tried the NVIDIA screen recorder and quite a few payware demos before I settled on my final choices.

If you go do the trial version, PM me and I'll point you to a setup that works really well for me. There are one or two critical bits that can make or break the whole process.
    Gordon,

I downloaded the trial version but it insists on a license input before it can be used ... strange. I think that was what the hack workaround was for, to get the trial version to work.

So far my best results for screen capture (for managing YT recommended recorded screen size, resolution, file type, and clarity,) has been with Camstudio. The solution is to record the videos in 10-11 minute segments and combine them in a video editor. I am using VSDC (freeware) for project management, video editing, effects, output file conversion and compression. Does a great job.

I wish I could find a solution as simple as Camstudio with the same capabilities that is not 32-bit contsrained with .avi. Being able to record a 30-45 minute video straight through would be awesome. Big raw initial file size but usually will compress to less than 1/10th the size.

I may try going smaller window (than 1280x720) for longer recording times. I also tested lower frame rates and that worked fine; added about 2 minutes more recording.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Gordon,

I downloaded the trial version but it insists on a license input before it can be used ... strange. I think that was what the hack workaround was for, to get the trial version to work.

So far my best results for screen capture (for managing YT recommended recorded screen size, resolution, file type, and clarity,) has been with Camstudio. The solution is to record the videos in 10-11 minute segments and combine them in a video editor. I am using VSDC (freeware) for project management, video editing, effects, output file conversion and compression. Does a great job.

I wish I could find a solution as simple as Camstudio with the same capabilities that is not 32-bit contsrained with .avi. Being able to record a 30-45 minute video straight through would be awesome. Big raw initial file size but usually will compress to less than 1/10th the size.

I may try going smaller window (than 1280x720) for longer recording times. I also tested lower frame rates and that worked fine; added about 2 minutes more recording.

Thanks
    Update: Wow, just ran another test after adjustments and have squeezed out 20 min video at 1280x720p at 32bit resolution. The cost is 100MB / minute; voice and video quality more than acceptable. I can work with 20 minutes. Forward ho!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Update: Wow, just ran another test after adjustments and have squeezed out 20 min video at 1280x720p at 32bit resolution. The cost is 100MB / minute; voice and video quality more than acceptable. I can work with 20 minutes. Forward ho!
    Excellent. Finding the sweet spot should make things a lot easer.

BTW, I really appreciate these videos Milton. Having personally worked through the long and arduous "learning curve", I think your videos will be a huge benefit to the community.

Thank you...Sir!
    Thomas Jefferson

Thank you Gordon. I do not intend to be fancy here; just meat and bones. But, as the focus is on new/beginning modelers, we'll start with the gmax installation setup, familiarity with the tool set available and management of the opening screen. We will focus on a step-by-step approach to developing aircraft from setting up the 3-views, constructing the fuselage to building the VC, exporting, creating a panel/gauge setup for the VC and aircraft folder, and using Airwrench to develop a flight model.

Down the road, I will also provide access to my gmax source of all my projects that can be used as sort of a "parts inventory" to merge into new projects to be used as starting points, like gear, engine nacelles, props, spinners, landing lights, VC components, etc.

How far I get with all this, who knows, but it will be an interesting project in itself.

EDIT: Okay, on a roll now using 20 minute video lengths. The first 3 are done. On to # 4 dealing with splines. :-)
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; January 15th, 2017 at 06:31.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Gmax Video Tutorials for Beginning Modelers

I have created 5 video tutorials focusing on Gmax 1.2 for the Beginning Modeler.

These are unlisted for now and I would like someone (aspiring/new modeler) to check them out to see if they are:

1) Accessible
    2) Available for comments
    3) Appropriate for someone new to gmax
    4) delivered in a way that is comprehensible
    5) generally effective

These five videos lay a foundation of understanding.
    The next ones out will focus on getting 3-views into gmax, and constructing a fuselage, assuming the first four are satisfactory.

After 14 years of modeling and not talking, I am struggling a bit to think about explaining and modeling at the same time. :-) Making progress though.

I appreciate your help.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Gmax for the Beginning Modeler #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dgCObbUr5s

Gmax Intro for the new/beginning modeler especially those frustrated by other tutorials and just can't seem to get their

heads around gmax, or prefer a video learning approach over reading or graphic tutorials.

------------------------------------------------------

Gmax for the Beginning Modeler #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUlCnuNrSe4

Objective: Familiarity with the Gmax Opening Screen, Menus, Toolbar, Command Panel, Viewports and Viewport Display Tools

Gmax for the Beginning Modeler #3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZJn16n--sI

Objective: Familiarity with the Command Panel Object Creation Options - Primitives and Shapes - Part 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gmax 1.2 for the Beginning Modeler #4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZz2N3bKnfQ

Objective: Familiarity with the Command Panel Object Creation

Options - Primitives and Shapes - Part 2

Gmax 1.2 for the Beginning Modeler #5

Objective: Manipulation of Primitives - Convert to Editable

https://youtu.be/b43vykG4uNs

Author: Milton Shupe

Topics: Editable Primitives

Last edited by Milton Shupe; January 17th, 2017 at 12:29.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Thanks Milton. Been wanting to do some buildings for some new OZx airport scenery but could never get my head around it. I have downloaded these 4 and look forward to more.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Thanks Milton. Been wanting to do some buildings for some new OZx airport scenery but could never get my head around it. I have downloaded these 4 and look forward to more.
    Well, good; I'm hoping the tutes will be helpful in getting started.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Since I am a slow talker, I find that changing the YouTube settings at bottom, you can speed up to 1.25 and things move faster yet are still very understandable. Give it a try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2017-jan-16-001.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No.....I think slow talking will be just fine for me.

Thanks heaps Milton, I will be downloading and going through all your tutorials. I did some of the GMAX tutorials years ago, but never really used it for FS Design. Instead I cheated and made objects for a few sceneries with Flight 1's Instant Object Studio, which was fine for basic models, but I soon found it had a lot of limitations. The last time I tried to make a model it was for Rose Bay in Sydney Harbour as I did a PR base for it. I tried using IOS to create the Rose Bay Wharf, and became so frustrated with crashes and the inability of that program, that I haven't tried modelling anything since. It didn't help that I found a professionally modelled version of the entire Rose Bay area, which I was aspiring to recreate for FSX. That was bad for my morale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOzb5EF2-FY

I have been meaning to get back in to modelling. I have continued with a lot of PR work (actually I did all of France, although that needs some more detail and close attention in certain areas) but I would like to make a few airports again. Maybe one day when I have heaps of spare time, I'll even try an aircraft. I am often reading aviation magazines and see some weird and wonderful plane I would love to see created for our sims. I would love to have the skills to tackle one.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Gmax 1.2 for the Beginning Modeler #6

Objective: Learn to Set up 3-Views with Calibration Box - Part 1

https://youtu.be/2GDLObza56s

Author: Milton Shupe

Topics: Importance of Data Collection, Quality 3-Views, and Setting up 3-View Plans in Gmax

Intro: Importance of data collection (Quality 3-views, dimensional data, performance data, reference pictures, and
    manuals), and impact on project success

1) Create a calibration box using aircraft dimensions
    What is a Calbox; how is it used?

2) Apply the 3-view textures to the calibration box
    Importance of aspect ratio

3) Ensure accuracy of the plans before starting
    How? Why?

Helpful Links:

1) Optional Calibration Box Graphic Tutorial (if you would like a graphic approach):

http://http://www.sim-outhouse.com/s...ation-Box-Tute

2) The CONVERT tool by Josh Madison:

https://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

-----------------------------------------------

Data Collection: Before the project begins, we must prepare

The key to getting started well is to gather a lot of reference data and facts to ensure credibility in the design
    process. Here are some of the things that are essential.

3-Views: High quality graphics are essential to construct accurate models. There are many sites that carry these
    3-views, some are free but the best will cost you. This site is a great resource with a lot of links to available

3-views:

http://www.simviation.com/designresources.htm

Airfoil Data: As a minimum if you can get the wing root/tip airfoil NACA numbers you have a source to construct the
    wing shape accurately. If the 3-view does not have the shapes to copy, there are sites that can help.

http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/aircraft.html

Type Certificate Data Sheets: The Type Certificate Data Sheets (TCDS) database is an official FAA repository of

Make and Model information.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet

Official Pilots Operating Handbook (POH) and PIREPS:

There are several sites around where original publications can be found.

Other References: Simply searching the web for aircraft information will yield many resources that will be helpful.

Vary your search arguments and try different search engines to get the most information about your target
    aircraft. Keep your eyes open for information about props, tire sizes, sounds, clubs, support groups, etc.

Asking for help collecting data resources will often yield excellent results. Visit your favorite forums and get others
    involved. Occasionally, you might even interest a real world pilot to join the team and that is always helpful.

Good luck with your adventure and project.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; January 17th, 2017 at 20:08.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 11