The Grand Tour

Thread: The Grand Tour

The Grand Tour

Anyone following the 'new Top Gear' The Grand Tour at Amazon ?.....

I do and i think it can't even stand in the shadow of the original. No wonder as, apart from driving cars, they are not allowed to evoke even the slightest resemblance to Top Gear. So no more Dunsfold Aerodrome race track, no more Gambon, no more Stig, no more Star in a reasonably priced car, no more The News, no more cool wall, no more etc and so on. And possibly maybe no more Challenges or Specials neither... I'll miss them the most.

Of course the other 'new' BBC Top Gear with three new presentors was bound to fail, and it did quite eloquently. Top Gear was not about cars, it was about the presentors.

Top Gear is gone forever, that much is clear. It was bound to happen sooner or later with such an unguided missile like Clarkson in the lead. The pig-headed gorilla ended it with a bang, as he was supposed to.

So what's your verdict on The Grand Tour then ?

Cheers,
    Ja

Cannot stand Clarkson, he gets under my skin. He was OK in the early days of TG when he spoke the Queen's English (check him out on YT) and it was actually about reviews of cars real people could afford. However since he was involved in the later TG and adopted the laddish accent and yob behavior, playing to the crowd, it's like fingernails on the blackboard for me. The other two are just as annoying. Captain Slow I used to tolerate but he too has evolved into a populist dope in order to fit in with the other idiots.

Well, looks like i'm quite a minority here..

I have enjoyed watching TG tremendously, particularly the Challenges and Specials. Clarkson with a bucket on his head because normal helmets were too small to fit it, in Vietnam, on a Vespa scooter, in the pouring rain, is a sight i'll never forget. And there were lots of others were that came from. 3 grown men acting as 12 year old boys, extricate all kinds of mischief and monkey tricks and on the side get to drive some of the most expensive cars real 12 year old boys can only dream about. I always thought they've got a pretty good format there...

I don't care that much it has come to an end, the format has been exploited long enough. Just a bit sad to see them trying to prolong it...

Old TG fan, so naturally I was interested in GT. The funny thing here is a similar dis-interest of the US version of TG. Using the Prime account, I've taken the time to watch GT and I've laughed a few times. I do wish for more filming of the cars, as with TG, camera angles to me are one of the best parts. Wish there was a motorcycle version of TG!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Clarkston's ego has really got to me. Can't watch even though I like the other guys.

Members who have read this thread: 0