Ultra-wide 21:9 Monitor

Thread: Ultra-wide 21:9 Monitor

Question Ultra-wide 21:9 Monitor

I'm looking at buying an ultra-wide monitor, found one for a pretty good price, and was wondering if any of you who have one could answer a couple questions:

1. Does the larger monitor hurt performance? If it does require more umpf, I assume it would be in the GPU area, is that correct?

2. The main reason I'm interested in the ultra-wide is to be able to get more peripheral view in the cockpit without increasing distortion by expanding FOV. I've been setting my cockpit FOV in the aircraft xdps to 18 degrees and 17 down, for a total of 35. I've attached a copy of the stock Fw 190A-5 xdp with the cockpit field of view adjusted as above. Would one of you please post a screenshot looking straight ahead in the cockpit with that xdp? When using it do you find the view distorts around the edges?

fw_190a_5.zip

Thanks for your help!

PM sent.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Please provide updates as they occur!

I am sure more people will be attracted to the Ultra WQHD format as monitors get less expensive.

I've got my eye on Samsungs's latest 34" curved monitor, the CF791. Very few are available yet, and Samsung tell me it won't be in NZ for another few months. But the specs look very attractive - quantum dot technology whatever that is. I think that two screens can be placed next to each other, and will auto-detect! Imagine surrounding yourself with curved screens - oh, well one can only dream...

The one I am looking at is 25in, because I can reasonably afford it after a few months. A 34in curved screen would be a dream though. So cool!

It was more expensive than the rest of my system combined, but having a 34" curved gsync monitor has been a significant step up from my previous TripleHead2Go set-up. 100MHz and no need for Vsync is really nice and the screen width is almost as big as what I had before. The taller FOV is one thing that I do notice a lot when I'm in the cockpit during a tight turning dogfight. TrackIR helps with situational awareness, but there's no substituting for your own peripheral vision when it comes to looking ahead of the turn and still being able to see the key instruments to avoid getting on the wrong side of the curve.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0