Wierd gmax export problem

Thread: Wierd gmax export problem

SOH-CM-2023

Wierd gmax export problem

During my current development model I have been exporting from Gmax to FS9 MDL using my usual Middleman/ MDL Commander system. I did as an experiment export this model as a FSX model using the Gmax FSX gamepack having merged it into FSX Gmax from FS9 Gmax. Problem now is that I can no longer get any FS9 mdl's to work in FS9 - I just get a FS9 failure...but the same model mdl will work in FSX! I've looked at the Gmax Configure paths & the Gmax.ini etc & cannot find any inconsistencies in the pathways, so how come my models are now only FSX native although using FS9 export?
    Faulting report shows the overall code of 0XC0000005.
    Installing earlier versions of the .mdl will work OK in FS9 & FSX.
    I thought initially that because I had used 2048 textures that was causing the problem, but redoing some of them in 1024 makes no difference. System Restore is no help.
    Have Middleman/MDL commander on my laptop, but something wrong there because it will only allow an export as P3D! Transferring the mdl to the laptop has same effect, i.e. FS9 shuts down.

Looks as if I will have to try & get my old W7 desktop up & running & see if I can pinpoint the problem from there. Don't really fancy a Gmax reinstall - been looking for the Chris File Middleman program, but it seems to have vanished, & because I loaded it yonks ago I dont think that I have a download copy, might be on any one of about 20 CD's though.....
    Keith
    Last edited by Dev One; December 1st, 2016 at 12:33. Reason: clarify phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    During my current development model I have been exporting from Gmax to FS9 MDL using my usual Middleman/ MDL Commander system. I did as an experiment export this model as a FSX model using the Gmax FSX gamepack having merged it into FSX Gmax from FS9 Gmax. Problem now is that I can no longer get any FS9 mdl's to work in FS9 - I just get a FS9 failure...but the same model mdl will work in FSX! I've looked at the Gmax Configure paths & the Gmax.ini etc & cannot find any inconsistencies in the pathways, so how come my models are now only FSX native although using FS9 export?
    Faulting report shows the overall code of 0XC0000005.
    Installing earlier versions of the .mdl will work OK in FS9 & FSX.
    I thought initially that because I had used 2048 textures that was causing the problem, but redoing some of them in 1024 makes no difference. System Restore is no help.
    Have Middleman/MDL commander on my laptop, but something wrong there because it will only allow an export as P3D! Transferring the mdl to the laptop has same effect, i.e. FS9 shuts down.

Looks as if I will have to try & get my old W7 desktop up & running & see if I can pinpoint the problem from there. Don't really fancy a Gmax reinstall - been looking for the Chris File Middleman program, but it seems to have vanished, & because I loaded it yonks ago I dont think that I have a download copy, might be on any one of about 20 CD's though.....
    Keith
    Keith, you cannot use an FSX exported model in FS9 as the exported .mdl files are structured and identified differently.
    FSX will run an FS9 mdl but not vice versa.

Be sure you are using the FS9 setup (and plugins - FSModelExp, etc) for FS9 exports.
    If you have all this now confused and your mdlcommander and Middleman setup is hosed, I can help you there.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

SOH-CM-2023
    Milton,
    Thanks for offer of help with Commander & Middleman - I might not need it though having found other installations here & there! I know that FSX native models do not work in FS9, & it appears that just one aircraft will abort FS9 start. I am in the process of trying to find where the problem is. What I have found is that I can create a workable FS9 mdl using the Gmax model from my W8.1 desktop into my old W7 desktop, which does not have the FSX gamepack installed. I have compared the .ini & plugin folders contents & can find no difference so far. I have copied over those folders to my W8.1 system & tried to generate a new .mdl & it still crashes FS9! I've even found another Gmax installation on my C drive & tried to use that without success, although I did transfer the makemdl.parts from one to the other---maybe thats where the problem lies? Will try that now!
    Keith

Edit - just found that FS9 will start if I do not make that aircraft as the default flight, although it will abort if I do select that model,
    K

Edit 2 - found that if I revert to an earlier version of my makemdl.parts.xml I can get a clean working model .mdl!!! Phew, now the hard part - finding the error in nearly 6000 lines of code, cos the later issue did previously work!
    K
    Last edited by Dev One; December 2nd, 2016 at 08:04.

Members who have read this thread: 1