MV_F-4J_VF-92_Silver_Kings.zip

Thread: MV_F-4J_VF-92_Silver_Kings.zip

MV_F-4J_VF-92_Silver_Kings.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FSX Military skins - Vietnam

Description: This repaint represents McDonnell Douglas F-4J (155794) of USN VF-92 Silver Kings in 1973. VF-92 was assigned to Carrier Air Wing 9 (CVW-9) aboard USS Constellation (CVA-64), WestPac, Jan. - Oct. 1973. Note of some interest: Connie was on station at the beginning of hostilities with North Vietnam and was on station at the end of hostilities.

Model and paint kit by Milviz.

Repaint by Steve Bryant.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit MV_F-4J_VF-92_Silver_Kings.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

The real deal

Anyone interested in this great repaint might be interested in the attached photos of Phantoms from the same squadron taken during the 1973 deployment aboard the Connie.

Can't say for sure (these are scans from 44 year old negatives) but I think 204 is behind the A7 in the middle image.

This aircraft shot down a MiG-17 during the previous deployment on May 10, 1972. It was converted to an F-4S in 1979, then to a QF-4S drone. Flown by a crew of two, it crashed at the Point Mugu Air Show on April 20, 2002. Both crewmembers ejected, but too low for the seat to save them

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8602046608_f92d2e0212_o.jpg   17623475516_5f5cb7810f_o.jpg   8600946715_59297edf45_o.jpg   8589321085_840afc2e3d_o.jpg   8602046038_062e6e1ee1_o.jpg  

Re: Real deal

Thanks for sharing the vid and photos tailspin54. Sad about the failed ejections. I thought the upgraded "S" had MB MK7 Zero-Zero seats, if so, those seats should have saved the crew! I was OV-1 Mohawk crew and our seats were MB MK5s with Zero-80 seats; Zero altitude with 80 kts forward air speed = 95% survivable. I could be wrong though.

Cheers,

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Icon22

I was EA-6B crew (ECMO). We had zero-zero Martin Baker seats too, but as I recall sink rate was a problem and those poor guys had plenty of that.

Purely to brag here, my skipper and I were on a bogie bait hop in one of our Prowlers, acting as easy targets for Phantoms working with the SunKing's E-2 and ship controllers. But we had a clean bird with no drop tanks and no jammer pods, so on the last engagement we decided not to be so cooperative and got into a nice tussle with, it turned out, their XO. The brag part is that we waxed them good. Got into a close trail position after they over-shot and we reversed on them. Would have made for an easy guns shot (not that we had any). Skipper and I went down to their ready room still in flight gear just to rub it in.

Quote Originally Posted by tailspin45 View Post
    I was EA-6B crew (ECMO). We had zero-zero Martin Baker seats too, but as I recall sink rate was a problem and those poor guys had plenty of that.

Purely to brag here, my skipper and I were on a bogie bait hop in one of our Prowlers, acting as easy targets for Phantoms working with the SunKing's E-2 and ship controllers. But we had a clean bird with no drop tanks and no jammer pods, so on the last engagement we decided not to be so cooperative and got into a nice tussle with, it turned out, their XO. The brag part is that we waxed them good. Got into a close trail position after they over-shot and we reversed on them. Would have made for an easy guns shot (not that we had any). Skipper and I went down to their ready room still in flight gear just to rub it in.
    That musta really stung those guys! Good on ya. Great story, and thank you for your service.

You know, I didn't think about sink rate, and you're right, there was plenty of that.

Steve
    Duckie

Thank you for your service too! You don't happen to know Skip 'Gunner' King do you? He flew Mohawks for a while but end up in helos and as Apache test piot.

Quote Originally Posted by tailspin45 View Post
    Thank you for your service too! You don't happen to know Skip 'Gunner' King do you? He flew Mohawks for a while but end up in helos and as Apache test piot.
    Name doesn't ring a bell. BTW, we probably ought to take our conversation to PM for further. We kinda strayed off the original topic to comment on the repaint!

Steve
    Duckie

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    we probably ought to take our conversation to PM for further. We kinda strayed off the original topic to comment on the repaint!Steve
    Good idea, but up to a point I think it doesn't hurt to share with folks that there are real aircraft (and real people) associated with these simulated aircraft.

See ya on the other side...

Members who have read this thread: 0