FR North Star / Argonaut Released - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FR North Star / Argonaut Released

I too purchased this model and am a fan. Great job on it!
    Cheers,
    Alex ("Badger")

My Aviation Content: [Blog] , [YouTube] & [Twitch]
    Favorite Aircraft: FSX Grumman G-21 Goose with [Redux] , [Flight dynamics] , [Sounds] & [RealEngine]

Hello,

Thanks for the aircraft, I am delighted with it.
    I have been looking forward to a good Douglas four-engined
    propeller airliner model for a very long time.
    I have looked at a lot of Dc4 cockpit pictures, never did find one of a DC4-M.
    I did this for myself, based only on the fact that these days, no two DC4-M cockpits
    are the same (or are there even two left?) and it seemed to be a bit of a dark place to be.

Regards,
    Nick

Looks nice Nick! Hope you'll upload it.

Blog Entries
    Mike outdid himself on this one...waiting on a new video card so I can spend some time in it!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Correct mike did an outstanding job with this

Im wishing I could spend more time in this, its horrible thing when several nice releases are released in close proximity of each other and its often the earlier ones get neglected, sadly this is one of the few that i keep forgetting i have

A bit more painting and some carpet for the BOAC pilots.

Regards,
    Nick

Looks great, Nick.

I've always thought most cockpits in FSX (I can't comment on P3D) are too bright when it comes to the foot wells and such - they should be shadowy, darker places only because in daytime flying, a pilot (usually wearing sunglasses) spends most of their time looking outside. The contrast with the unlit recesses of the cockpit, below knee level, should be stark. Unfortunately, very few add-ons 'darken' these areas, so we are left with what looks more like a game, where the viewable surfaces are evenly lit.

I imagine your make-over for the Argonaut will feel more like you are sitting in an aircraft cockpit, rather than just looking at a lovely set of evenly lit game textures.

To be honest, I think it's just a matter of taste, I would be the last to say better or worse, just different.
    This is how the VC looks as it comes and it certainly looks much more like the one real cockpit that it is based on.
    Apart from the seat covering, carpet on the floor and the leather padding, all the textures I used are the same, just adjusted a little
    here and there.
    There is so much fine detail that seems to be hidden in the darker version.

Regards,
    Nick

Version two.
    Last edited by ncooper; February 25th, 2017 at 13:33.
    Regards,
    Nick

. . . even better, Nick! The brown leather on the yolk/wheels adds a touch of class.

Finally done.

Regards,
    Nick

This was another of the aircraft I purchased over the holiday season which I am Very Happy with...

I couldnt help myself

Glad you couldn't help yourself!!!

That's a beauty.

This is mine, no expertise at play here though.

or here

Last edited by ncooper; March 9th, 2017 at 13:44.
    Regards,
    Nick

Do like your aluminium work Jeansy, first class, just wish they would teach the folks at JF to do that, the metal on the DC-6 is horrible a mat aluminium. Busy mob that Northern Territorian Airlines bigger fleet than the Big Red Rat it seems.

Cheers and nice work nick

Just a quick play this afternoon has yielded this, still a little to make the polished metal a little less

Looks pretty good in Ansett colours. Look forward to its public release.

I have not found a detailed Argonaut manual for free on line available to download, it seems that they were basically issued with each built model so not many about but I have had access to one to read only, so have been jotting down some notes as sort of compact cheat sheet on the important numbers, speeds, fuel burn etc to help with planning and performance, if anyone is interest I will upload here as a short text note.

Most difficult part of this aircraft is getting to use to the supercharge gear change passing F130 on the climb and before A100 on descent and of course because this was a pressurised aeroplane it is nice to get it high but F250 is the limit, Flap and landing gear extension speeds are nice and high and approach speeds about the DC-4 range, climb is sedate but this machine was a lot heavier than the DC-4 but cruise speed is significantly higher and range is not bad but it needs runways between 4000 and 6000 ft long depending on the weight. So no short strip stuff. Interesting aeroplane starting to explore it in FSX world.

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Finally done.

Is this or the lighter panel version available yet?

For those interested the following was obtained from the RCAF Argonaut Pilot Operating Notes. This is what you would call a crib sheet so you get the base safe numbers and techniques which the aircraft required. This was a pressurised hull with liquid cooled RR Merlin engines with a two speed supercharger system. It was heavier than the DC-4 and the C-54.

Overall you will need from 4000 ft to 6500 ft of runway for take offs and landings at ISA temperatures and from being light to heavy.

Fuel planning (in Lbs) - Reserve allow 2100 lbs, Approach Fuel allow 350 lbs and for holding allow for 1400 lbs per hour.
    Fuel consumption MS Gear (Below F130) S/L - 250 -450 lbs per engine (500-1000 BHP)
    A100 - 240-450 lbs per engine
    F150 - 230-580 lbs per engine
    FS Gear (Above F130) F150 - 270-470 lbs per engine
    F200 - 270-495 lbs per engine
    F250 - 340-540 lbs per engine

As can be seen fuel consumption was fairly constant and power was generally set to have about 900 BHP output. So basically your looking at about 500 lbs per hour per engine on the climb.

Stall Speeds: Vs F0 -95 knots
    Vs F15 -82 knots
    Vs F30 -76 knots
    Vs F40 -69 knots

Normal Operating weights were between 55,000 lbs and 78,000 lbs. NOTE Maximum Landing Weight is 66,000 lbs.

V SPEEDs V Rudder Control - 43 knots
    Weight V1 (kts) V2 (Kts)
    55000 lbs 70 89
    60000 lbs 75 92
    65000 lbs 81 96
    70000 lbs 87 99
    72000 lbs 90 101
    74000 lbs 92 103
    76000 lbs 94 106
    78000 lbs 97 107

TKOF Full throttle 71.5"MP 2900 -3000 RPM Rudder effective from 43 knots VR - Allow acceleration 110 knots - GEAR UP Pitch Attitude 8 degrees
    Set 1st Segment Climb to 120 knots Flaps Up then power to 54"MP and 2800 RPM
    2nd Segment Climb above 1000ft MS Gear 54"2650 RPM (Maintain these power settings throughout climb
    Normal Climb 134 - 147 knots.
    F130 Change to FS Supercharger Settings by reducing power on 1 and 4 engines to 30" -Set FS Advance throttles to 54"or 50" Minimum, repeat for engine 2 and 3. Supercharger warning lights should now be ON.

Notes- At max weight Max AOC is 107 knots and about 200 FPM
    At 75000 lbs Max AOC is 104 knots and about 300 FPM
    At 70,000 lbs Max AOC is 99 knots and about 600 FPM

Rate of Climb is modest and generally about 650 FPM but relatively constant.

Initial Descent - No greater than 217 kts IAS. 2350 RPM 35"MP to 10,000 feet then set MS Gearing on Superchargers
    Below 10,000 ft can reduce RPM to between 2250 and 2000 RPM and 35"MP

Landing Gear Vle - 169 knots Vf1 (1st Stage Flap) - 169 knots - RESET RPM to 2350 if required.

Initial Approach - 112 knots Final Approach 112 knots. Flap 30 and 40 degrees not until on final.

Hope this helps some of you Argonaut drivers. This data was not in the Argonaut manual which otherwise was excellent.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Is this or the lighter panel version available yet?
    Hello,

I would make them available publicly but as the textures are not included in the paintkit,
    I should hate to tread on any toes.
    I am none too familiar with either the strict rules or the ethics surrounding modifying and then
    publishing other people's payware textures.

If Mike or someone else on here can guide me, I'll go along with what is written.
    (They won't be to everyone's taste in any case.)
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Hello,

I would make them available publicly but as the textures are not included in the paintkit,
    I should hate to tread on any toes.
    I am none too familiar with either the strict rules or the ethics surrounding modifying and then
    publishing other people's payware textures.

If Mike or someone else on here can guide me, I'll go along with what is written.
    (They won't be to everyone's taste in any case.)

Feel free, Nick. This hobby is about enjoyment, and personally I'm always happy to see what people can create.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike, I knew you would say that...this is very interesting data!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks very much Mike, very generous of you.
    I have included the two exterior repaints for anyone who might like them.

Here is the download link.
    Regards,
    Nick

Good to see a plan come together! Downloading now Nick
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Members who have read this thread: 0