MP Design Studio SA342 Gazelle available - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MP Design Studio SA342 Gazelle available

I tried it with real weather active and as Conver suggested.. it eliminated the effect. I don't always fly with live weather so it's handy to know it can still be avoided I may yet venture up into the loft to drag my CH pedals out of retirement.

ATB
    DaveB

Hi DaveB.
    I'm glad that you enjoy in our Gazelle, looking forward to hear more positive comments from you.
    Did anyone of you guys noticed ground resonance effect ? Do you like it? It's totally new feature to FSX/P3D add-ons.

I've not yet though I found an interesting bit of footage taken from a MacGyver episode and it's a Gazelle no less! Reading about the effect, it seems proper maintenance of the helicopter will often lessen the chances of it happening so.. as we all have new helicopters.. we shouldn't be seeing it happen unless we throw the helicopter on the deck!!

The pilot of the Gazelle in the tv scene did exactly the right thing by lifting off to cancel the imbalance. Good job he had enough rpm available
    ATB
    DaveB

is there a paint kit for the pilots for the mil version? or could you release a plain green flight suit without any flags for addition 3rd party mil paints

on another note? is anyone else rotor head rotation suffers from stutters (p3d v3.4.4 with steady 50-ish fps)

Just bought it, download on-going, I will test it tonight.
    I'm especially pleased with the price, given the amount of features.

I made my first test flight tonight finally
    The model is much better than I expected in fact. At least in my P3D 3.3.5, it was looking great.
    The flight model is quite pleasant as well, even though I haven't experienced the "bad" things that are simulated like vortex ring states or resonnance... not yet

Concerning the glass reflection, I found it to be problematic as well.
    I believe this happens to those who installed an alternative envmap reflection. For example, I use the envmap from BananaBob, which not only replaces the texture used for the envmap, but also makes the glass much more reflective. On the outside model, it's really cool to see. But from the cockpit, it's a bit too much and quickly becomes problematic/annoying.
    I have downloaded the fix already, but didn't install it yet.

Another thing concerning the reflection: normally, in P3D v3.x, the materials who are set to reflect the standard envmap are supposed to be shifted automatically to real reflection.
    My understanding was that it was something standard, that impacts all aircrafts that were set to standard reflection... But with your helicopter, it didn't work.
    Did you set anything special in your reflective materials ?

SOH-CM-2018
    I am going to need special, extra lessons concerning the autopilot.

I just cannot get it to work.

Here is what I do:

1) Gyro mode switch to GM, wait for the red covers to drop.
    2) Autopilot trim switch and FR.Mag switch on.
    3) Autopilot altitude/yaw/roll/pitch switches up(also tried it down)
    4) Engage autopilot master switch.

No success. Please indicate where I am doing it wrong.

Otherwise, I love this helicopter, you need to work at it to fly it, but that is the enjoyment of it.

I am hoping the developers will continue to release products of this caliber.

Exclamation

Hello folks!

I'm glad that you enjoy with this add-on and I'm also glad that you are satisfied with price for quality you get.

Jeansy: I think that there is no PaintKit available for military version, but I have to check it with my colleague.

RaFi:

Autopilot for hover flight (helpful for sling load operations)
    While on ground do next:
    1. Turn on Gyro Platform - switch to GM
    2. Wait for the flags to go out
    3. Trim switch - ON
    4. F.Mag swticht - ON
    5. Autopilot mode switch set to Vi (small switch to the right side of autopilot panel with titles Vi and ALT)
    6. Turn on Yaw channel (upper position)
    7. Turn on Roll channel (upper position)
    8. Turn on Pitch channel (upper position)
    9. Turn on autopilot master switch.

Slowly rise up collective lever and your autopilot will maintain hover flight for you.
    You can use anytime autopilot trimmer switch on cyclic stick to add new position into autopilot memory.

Autopilot for horizontal flight: (helpful for route flying)
    Stabilize horizontal flight ( for instance: Airspeed 150 km/h, Vertical speed 0 m/min, without bank...):
    1. Turn on Gyro Platform - switch to GM
    2. Wait for the flags to go out
    3. Trim switch - ON
    4. F.Mag swtich - ON
    5. Autopilot mode switch set to Vi or ALT: (small switch to the right side of autopilot panel with titles Vi and ALT - Vi - velocity hold mode, ALT. - Altitude hold mode, default mode is Vi)
    6. Turn on Yaw channel (upper position)
    7. Turn on Roll channel (upper position)
    8. Turn on Pitch channel (upper position)
    9. Turn on autopilot master switch.

If you want to add new parameter to autopilot memory you have to reset channel. (Turn off and back on)
    Large deflects of flight controls can cause disengage autopilot.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by conver View Post
    Hello folks!

Jeansy: I think that there is no PaintKit available for military version, but I have to check it with my colleague.

I want to confirm im just after the templates for the mil pilot textures

on another note while looking at the paint kit and the texture folders, can you please confirm if there is or isnt any spec mapping and texture sharing via texture.cfgs

the reason why I ask while looking at file names and formats and trying to work out the over reflective alpha channels in p3d its looking more and more like the a few things are loosely based off fs2004 formats with bump mapping introduced which is explaining the some of the visuals experienced

I have just bought this helo from simmarket on sale,however it only has one paint and not the G reg or the other paint.

Please advise.

Cheers Chris

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    I have just bought this helo from simmarket on sale,however it only has one paint and not the G reg or the other paint.

Please advise.

Cheers Chris
    Also bought it from SimMarket. I have these folders ...FSX\SimObjects\Rotorcraft:
    Aerospatiale Gazelle SA342 Civil Version
    Aerospatiale Gazelle SA342 Military Version

under civil are 2 model, each with its own panel, model and texture:
    G-UZEL
    HB-XFW

Under military is only the ALAT model.

Maybe download/install again.

Hi Rafi.
    I only have one folder.I bought it on offer for 8.50 euros.Maybe it was an earlier model.Perhaps conver could explain.

Cheers Chris

Hello

speedy70:
    You probably bought Soko Mostar - Gazela SA342 which is our early version.
    This is latest released model:
    http://secure.simmarket.com/mp-desig...-fsx-p3d.phtml

jeansy:
    I ask my colleague and PaintKit for military version is available!

I'm really hoping a Westland Gazelle AH1 is still on the cards...?

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Yesterday I could find some time to test the Gazelle a bit more deeply.
    Globally I'm very pleased with this helicopter and it's behavior. However, the behavior was sometimes a little bit strange to me. Keep in mind I haven't read the manual yet. Here is a description of the three situations in which the behavior seemed strange:

1- Upon takeoff, I increased the collective progressively to avoid "jumping". The helicopter reacted nicely at first, I could hover just above the ground. Then, I proceeded to accumulate a bit of forward speed (less than 30 kntos) and increased the collective a bit to climb. The helicopter however, climbed very slowly at first, as if it were overweighted. I didn't touch the controls and kept the orientation stable, because it was climbing "enough" anyways for me... but then suddenly, without any changes in my controls, the helicopter started climbing at very high speed, like a jump, as if I had set the collective to maximum...

2- During my flight at low altitude in the Bowerman bay, I approached a nearby AI cargo boat sailing full speed, to take a look at it from all angle and check if there was any helipads on it (there were none :P ). I found it quite difficult to fly sideways, and at some point I even lost control. Upon recovery, the helicopter was flying slightly backwards, which is ok given the circumstances. So I tiped the nose down and increased the collective a little bit to regain forward speed... which never came. The helicopter nose was 10 degrees down, and it was not going forward. I think I had also such a behavior for a very short amount of time during my "taxi" on takeoff. Is it some kind of ring vortex effect or some other special feature ?

3- Coming back to the airfield at medium altitude, I wanted to practise the autorotation. So I did the following sequence:
    • In level flight with reasonnable speed (around 100 km/h), I reduced the collective to zero
    • Then I reduced the yellow lever to zero, and switched off the two switches on the main panel (pump and start - the silver one)
    • The rotor came almost immediately to a complete stop, until I pushed the collective a bit forward ??
    • Then I reduced the collective back to zero again and I had to tilt the nose down by 15 to 20 degrees to maintain a normal rotor rotation speed (by sound, the rotor RPM gauge seemed stuck in the green...)
    • I could make a quick flare to the ground and land like a plane, sliding on the runway... the rotor came to an immediate stop, though. Faster than any rotor brake...

Is this behavior normal ? It seems to me the rotor stops way to fast.
    Also, in the two first cases described above, I sometimes get the impression the flight model transitions are not smooth, a bit like the Razbam Harrier transitions from normal flight to vtol, see what I mean ?
    But this is also the only realistic helicopter I have in my hangar right now, so I can't compare with anything...

Any one know if it is possible to switch to ground idle or roll the throttle off. I get nose creep in yaw when sitting still.

Hello everyone,

I've been following this thread and am thinking about buying the Gazelle as well.However I have a question to those who
    already fly it:
    Is it possible to have the pitch and roll flight director bars completely removed from view on the attitude indicator?
    On every screenshot of this product that I saw, they always seem to be displayed even with apparently no mode selected?

I find this a bit distracting,as most FD systems I know disappear from view if no modes are selected and center with flags
    only when a loss of electric power occurs.
    However I 'm not that familiar with this specific aircraft and could be modelled acc the real specs.

Anyhow it would be nice if someone could provide some short info on this.

Kind regards,

Oliver

Exclamation

Hello everyone!

That's a lot of questions for this small helicopter. But I'm glad that you like it guys.
    Airtrooper:
    Westland Gazelle is still on the cards. We are a little busy with Guimbal Cabri G2 right now.

Daube:
    That jumping of a helicopter is called "Translational Lift" effect. More about it you can read hear and find out why your gazelle is jumping:
    http://www.copters.com/aero/translational.html
    Helicopter pilots, during transition from a hover flight to progressive, reduce collective pitch a little bit to avoid this effect.
    It is hard to fly sideways with helicopters which has a vertical stabilizer like this one... Lift produced by this stabilizer makes a rotating moment over your vertical axis and turns helicopter in direction of move.
    Reasonnable speed for autorotation for this helicopter is between 120 - 140 km/h, you have to read flight manual before entering into autorotation state.
    1. Establish airspeed between 120-140 km/h
    2. Reduce your collective - full down position
    3. Pull fuel flow lever (yellow lever back)
    4. Maintain airspeed
    5. If descent rate is to high or your rotor RPM goes out of green arc, rise collective lever a bit.
    6. Start flare around 30 meters of height.
    7. Do not overpitch helicopter. 15 degree is more then enough if you have a good technique.
    8. Airspeed below 50km/h, push your cyclic stick level helicopter with rising collective lever to prevent helicopter fall

Joe Bob:
    Yes you can get your engine to idle. Just pull your yellow lever (fuel flow lever) into back position.

Flapsfull:
    It's normal for this helicopter to see G/S and LOC no matter if you have electric power on or off.
    They indicates pilot that are not operable, but if you select proper VOR frequency or ILS frequency flags will disappear (also turn on Localizer mode switch) and of course they will be shown when electric power is off.
    Here is a screenshot for you with an ILS approach without warning flags:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ILS.jpg  

Hello Conver,

thank you very much for your very quick feedback on my question, even with attached pictures!

Excellent.

One last question, besides the cockpit layout and variant-specific differences
    are the helicopter flight dynamics modelled equally detailed for both the SA342 and the SOKOL Gazelle?
    I mean the effects of translational lift,yaw due to rotor torque etc..

Thank you very much again for your answer .

Kind regards,

Oliver

Exclamation

Yes!
    It's even better!
    A lot of new features are added.
    Check this out:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AerospatialeReklama.jpg  

Flapsfull.
    I bought the sale mostar sokol gazelle and it is nowhere near as good as the full version which I have now bought as well.

Buy the full version and don't waste 8.50 euros on the mostar one.

Cheers Chris

Conver and Speedy,

roger .Thanks again very much for the quick&informative replies!

Kind regards,

Oliver

Flapsfull.
    I bought the sale mostar sokol gazelle and it is nowhere near as good as the full version which I have now bought as well.

Buy the full version and don't waste 8.50 euros on the mostar one.

Cheers Chris
    Bought the sales version two hours ago and just read this - what a disappointment
    Best regards, Manfred.

Please Please can somebody do a British army air corps repaint.There are stacks of pictures of them on the net.

Cheers chris

Please Please can somebody do a British army air corps repaint.There are stacks of pictures of them on the net.

Cheers chris
    sorry Chris ive had look at the textures and paintkit, im not going to do any paints for this in the short term

Members who have read this thread: 1