Interesting Development!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Development!

Icon22 Interesting Development!

OBD Software has announced a CFS3-based sim similar to WOFF, but for WWII, hopefully coming in about a year!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4314509/1

Very interesting! maybe some of our good developers; you know who you are; should start communications in that direction!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

That bridge was burned a long time ago...
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Thank goodness for that! I have been lucky to have been privvy to this for a while and containing my excitement hasn't been easy!

This will be the WW2 combat flight sim that I know a lot of us here have been waiting for a long time!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic news. A dream come true as i'm mostly interested in WW II. If it is anything like WOFF it will be great. Hope it covers the Eastern Front as well. Well , can only hope...

sounds all great the announcement, but I still am stone cold sceptic. no one can garantee it really will be done, yet if it is such megamod.

Blog Entries
    CFS3 is a lot like Il-2 '46 in that they continue to be improved all the time . New aircraft, theaters,missions and much more. The future looks bright for us WW II combat flight sim fans. Couldn't think how far we've come since CFS1 at the time. It's time she gets a overhaul. Only thing is it requires your wallet , i'm sure . Not so with Il-2 '46 she has factory updates, VP Modpack , CUP-(modules from WWI to the Jet Age) and more for free to boot. It makes it second to me compared to a modded CFS3 as my favorite sim. Have around 500 aircraft for Il-2 and many other mods. CFS3 is the most bug free cfs i've ever played compared to all others(remember Il-2 CLOD for example).Hope the ai will be as good as WOFF. Only interested in sp - offline play.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Well

I have spoken to them about various ideas and have been invited to share a model - did not like the terms so no go (this was a personal thing - no reflection on the WOFF folks). As far as all the WOFF stuff great product but proprietary - can't get third party planes to fly unless approved by and added on by the WOFF folks (good business model - not so much in the CFS3 spirit). It will be great if they can address things like radar radio beacons and expanding the range of gauges we can use. Maybe they are using ESP game engine....Time will tell. Gobble Gobble

If it's still based on the CFS3 engine I assume one can port stuff over if one has both sims. It's a pity there seems to be some differences of opinion, some going back a while; sad.

I think port over capability will be more limited than you think. Even though it is still CFS3 under all of it, a lot has been redone, some features repurposed, etc. I think it is more than just business sense in making it that way. As I have been considering building a new freeware expansion, in order to bring the quality of each bit of content up to the max, a huge amount of customization and standardization is required. If you want the level of polish WOFF has achieved, especially with how much code they've reworked, it has to go through some sort of official filter to ensure it has all the same features that the rest of their content has. There are still third party mods for WOFF, but as far as I know, aircraft, and possibly some other items aren't possible without going through official channels.

Still, that is a bit different from the open nature of our community here. I'm hopeful that things will develop in a way that benefits everyone. And for what it's worth, I'm pretty stoked that a WOFF style campaign will be coming to WWII. It's something I've wanted forever. Also, I think this will wipe out many of the limitations we've been dealing with for years.

Are you and Ted still on with your plan?

We've not discussed much lately, for now I haven't changed any plans, but this may prove to be a faster route to the same objective.

Blog Entries
    I'm banned from even checking the thread at Sim HQ. Says i have dual accounts. Will not even let me try to log in . So sad. Only site that does this to me. At least i have SOH to get the latest news.

a bad boy, Scott?

as to the thread theme - I see, so the upcoming CFS3 overhaul just will be not enhancable with user made content - without "official" allowement. hmmm...

Icon23 Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    We've not discussed much lately, for now I haven't changed any plans, but this may prove to be a faster route to the same objective.
    I am doubtful that what is released will be inclusive of TOW. I am only guessing but BOB can be done with limited modifications to the CFS3 capabilities. The vast number of airplanes needed etc to accomplish what we have will be very difficult to replicate as BOB was very limited in the type and variety of planes.

So I guess since this is coming along we just stop all the work we are doing a do a wait and see......... Since it is winter here in the Northern Latitudes hibernation is appropriate

You lost me a bit there Ted, If you think TOW would be difficult for them, plus unlikely to get that far b4 2019 or so, maybe you and Daniel (and others?) should continue? Just thinking!

Blog Entries
    So I guess since this is coming along we just stop all the work we are doing a do a wait and see......... Since it is winter here in the Northern Latitudes hibernation is appropriate
    I think that's the right approach Ted. It seems pointless spending hours on cfs3 now for it to be eclipsed next year and in the following years. CFS3 for us has just too many limitations for what we've been wanting to achieve. However looking at what the OBD team have done with WoFF and bearing in mind what Mark said below, anything must now be possible.

Guys one thing I do want to add is remember we have written almost all the code in WOFFUE barring rendering so all the limitations you might think are there preventing a truly great WW2 sim.....are not

However I'll still try and get out the few odd bits I've been meaning to, BoB update, Hampden etc. so that I have a clean plate for next year.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Blog Entries
    I'm sure the new simulator will be great but would be hard pressed to be as complete as what we have now. Still looking forward to the updated BoB and the Eastern Front for CFS3. Many great aircraft in the works and mods to keep us busy for quite a while. Love the open program feature of CFS3 along with Il-2 '46. Thanks to all who's work bring us so much and for free to boot. Regards,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    You lost me a bit there Ted, If you think TOW would be difficult for them, plus unlikely to get that far b4 2019 or so, maybe you and Daniel (and others?) should continue? Just thinking!
    I agree! The ETO/PTO/MAW expansion team has done incredible work, and impressive work-arounds, and built quality aircraft that don't exist in any other combat flight sim. if OBD is not willing to collaborate with CFS3 freeware developers on their own terms, it will be OBD's loss. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    ... As far as all the WOFF stuff great product but proprietary - can't get third party planes to fly unless approved by and added on by the WOFF folks (good business model - not so much in the CFS3 spirit) ...
    If I understand you correctly, they have created an unmoddable mod?? What fun is that??

I took a peek at their website. This new version of CFS3 will probably also require me to buy a new PC. These are the requirements for WOFF UE:
    Intel 3.6+GHz CPU or higher.
    NVidia Graphics card, 780 GTX or above with 2GB VIDEO RAM or preferably more - for full new graphics features in WOFF UE.
    Equivalent ATI graphics card with 2GB+ RAM should be fine but not recommended.
    PC with WINDOWS 7 or 10 (64 Bit)
    Windows 8, 8.1, 10 (all 64 Bit) are fine (Windows 10 needs the latest WOFF updates installed)
    8GB RAM or higher

I have the following:
    Intel i7 870 @ 2,93GHz CPU
    Win7 (x64)
    4Gb Ram
    Nvidia 250 GTS

So I think I will still tinker on with my little projects and not wait 1-2 years until this get out. I gotta do something with my spare time and the little creativity that I have...

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

I still have multiple projects going, and I have no intention of abandoning them. Everything I'm working on would eventually be rolled up into our project, but will be released separately anyways. So I'm pressing on for now, but it will be interesting to see how this will change things.

I'm still hoping that AnKor will let us have access to the latest set of shaders once the initial flurry of WOFF UE sales have tapered off.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Cool My thoughts

Since WOFF is proprietary and adding to it is not (really) possible without WOFF folks providing code etc, I find the sim no different than other take it or leave it sims. As we all know the popularity for CFSx series rests in the community effort and user created modifications we ALL can contribute. I fully understand WOFF and their desire to control the sim they have worked on as a private for profit enterprise ( I have had personal dialogue and been approached to make addons). No issues there, I just feel that CFS3 as limited as it is is enjoyable to modify. I get the idea that the work and sweat put into WOFF is extensive, but I feel it is antithetical to the spirit CFS series that supported and continues to support it. Call me naive and an idealist, but it just seems by stopping our little effort is saying I am willing to give up choice and creativity. Heck- even IL2 has a very strong and FREE set of addons and ful ability to make what you can- complicated yes but at least I can if I have the time and talent. So I am not hibernating have too many fun projects on the table.

I would really like to make things work in CFS3 and say hey I did that, than buy something that is what it is and I have no real say so into what it can be......

With all respect and love,

Ted

Members who have read this thread: 1