CFS3 VTOL / STOL aircrafts?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CFS3 VTOL / STOL aircrafts?

CFS3 VTOL / STOL aircrafts?

hi guys,
    is it possible to simulate somehow decently vertical take-off or (very)short take-off airplanes?

you know, the Haunebu, Vril, Flugelrad or such similar kind of projects sounds to me pretty interesting
    Last edited by BorekS; November 23rd, 2016 at 03:02.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    There's the flettner found in the warbirds section so it's doable .

As I understand it, hover cannot be achieved due to the limitation of CFS3's physics. Near hover can be simulated through the combination of flap settings and engine tweaking in the flight model. I have experimented with this in the Dragonfly model here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nks_search.php

It is not perfect by any means but is as close as I could get to a real helo at the time. The wingmen don't like it and will crash immediately. More experimenting by someone with a different approach or more knowledge of CFS3 physics could produce better results.

thanks guys,
    Ive tried Flettner and Dragonly... sweet stuff, still bit hard to keep it flying using a keyboard controll

ok, so I think I would try just to make something focused on the animated parts rather (disc blades tagged as flaps, spoilers etc, rotating) and keep it flying just like a standard airplane.

this is the model inspiration I would try to create for the CFS3 testing (a small single seater BMW Flugelrad V-1):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frad1.jpg  

one day work / first blood ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bmw_fr_v1_04.jpg   bmw_fr_v1_03.jpg   bmw_fr_v1_02.jpg   bmw_fr_v1_01.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Wow you work fast! That's a crazy looking aircraft!

Just thinking out aloud....helicoptors work in fs9 and the flight model files are very similar to cfs3 - those for fixed wing aircraft work fine. Has anyone tried porting over the fs9 .air and .cfg files to see if they work?
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Affirmative, Clive. I did alot of experimenting with the FS9 & FSX Dragonfly flight models but the physics just doesn't seem to be there in CFS3 to make helo flight happen to any accurate degree.

@BorekS - That WAS fast! An impressive looking model to boot!

Blog Entries
    Affirmative, Clive. I did alot of experimenting with the FS9 & FSX Dragonfly flight models but the physics just doesn't seem to be there in CFS3 to make helo flight happen to any accurate degree.
    I thought you must have been down that route Barry, that's a pity. I do like that Dragonfly!

ok, if there would be interest, I would texture the thingy, add some animation tags, and release it for testing. still this flying circle would use standard flight dynamics as base.

btw, if that thingy would be able to fly, wondering how much fuel it could fit into the small body

ah, two rocket loadout and some guns might be handy aswell...

@BorekS - Yes, please continue! Any new models are always welcome. This would be a great addition to the Luftwaffe '46 arena.

@Pat Pattle - I've made some minor (non-Gmax) improvements since my first upload, but I don't think there is very much interest in it. Especially without proper rotor animation.

really glad there is a few people who likes such german ufo like concept

the Flügelrad project (if it isnt a pure fake) was supposed to be a conventional aircraft concept (a mixture of jet and propeller technology), sot it may be taken seriously a bit. not so like the Haunebu antigravity powered objects

btw did you know the Haunebu flying saucer was my first CFS3 project? the model you can see here and here.

Blog Entries
    I don't think that it was a fake, according to this site there was an eye witness who saw one of the versions take a short flight:

http://discaircraft.greyfalcon.us/BMW%20Flugelrad.htm

tw did you know the Haunebu flying saucer was my first CFS3 project?
    Do you still have the gmax for that one? Perhaps another great 'what if?' for CFS3 if you do!

Barry:

I've made some minor (non-Gmax) improvements since my first upload, but I don't think there is very much interest in it. Especially without proper rotor animation.
    I seem to remember us having the Gmax source for this at one time, any recollections? It's probably long gone if I did though.

yum, a very nice article, thanks for the link

I have the old Haunebu II sources, but it would be better to make it newly, I suppose.
    the old model originaly was made with FSDS, later converted into gmax and also used for the already mentioned small selfmade game project builded with 3D Rad (never finished).
    you can see a small videfootage and download the game sample here.

still I would rather focus on the Flugelrad series and the Schriever type. they just looks more believable to me

@Pat Pattle - I still have it Clive, just haven't set down to learn enough GMAX yet to fix anything.

@BorekS - By Shriever Type do you mean this?

Any thoughts as to an Autogyro?

did some small progress relating to animations, but not much infact.

the circled wing / rotor system aka autogyro is tagged as propeller and to get the airplane let fly at CFS3 it needs to be set as propeller aircraft aswell - at least it seems to me. it means bye bye my favorite MiG-15 jet flight dynamics (.air and .cfg) ... so Ive used stock P-55A flight settings instead.

the BMW jet engine rear item exhaust "flaps" are set as elevators.

the web sources says the Flugelrad I V-1 gear was fixed - unretractable, even no brakes yet no shock absorbers, but I did it bit animated for the CFS3 solution.

the web sources says the Flugelrad I V-1 was just empty loadout. but Ive added for our CFS3 version optionaly selectable mk.108 gun gondolas and rocket pod loadouts.

actual shots attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enb2016_11_30_23_58_47.jpg   enb2016_11_30_23_59_46.jpg   enb2016_11_30_23_20_10.jpg   enb2016_11_30_23_12_53.jpg   enb2016_11_30_22_48_49.jpg   enb2016_11_30_22_43_15.jpg  

enb2016_11_30_22_46_11.jpg  

just textured a bit...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bmw_fg_tex_01.jpg   bmw_fg_tex_02.jpg   bmw_fg_tex_03.jpg   bmw_fg_tex_04.jpg  

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Awesome work. Very interesting aircraft.

Aah, finally proof that the aliens helped the Nazis!

This thing is cool! The screenshots do not do it justice.

Seeing it glide low across the countryside with it's shadow below on the ground looks just like something from a sci-fi movie. The cockpit view is a trip as well. The animated fan blades at various speeds really add to it's eerie-ness. Another great model.

I was trying your latest VTOL/STOL physics and its outstanding!
    I can fly at very low altitude and low speed (50 mph), when some longer trip with the AIs they just looks like they hovering. also phantastic vertical power, if needs to be quickly higher altitude... yet all is achievable simply with keyboard!

ok, one new shot from a trip over german lake and forrest...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enb2016_12_19_2_4_24.jpg  

I'll keep playing with the flight model and hopefully I can squeeze a little more STOL out of it. Thanks for letting me take her out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails luftufo.jpg  

OT - Iron Sky

In case you've never seen it.

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I have the first one on Blu-Ray and remember the hype/anticipation of it's release. It was . . . unusual.

Members who have read this thread: 0