RTW 2017 Interest???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTW 2017 Interest???

RTW 2017 Interest???

Good Morning All,

I am putting this out just to gauge an interest in the RTW race for 2017? With about 90 days until the drop of the green flag (if there is a race), its a good idea to gauge interest in the race.

I fear if we do not get enough interest, there will not be a race at all, and there hasn't been a peep about it on any of the forums.

Drop a line here if you more then likely will be participating in the race this year. This is not an official sign up thread for this team..

Thanks,

I may be, it depends on two things : 1) if I can stabilize my FS2004 installation and 2) if the rules aren't too convoluted :-)

As a founding member of Team SOH I really enjoyed the early days of the RTW race but my interest waned when reading and interpreting the rules required a lawyer!

- dcc
    - -

SOH-CM-2016
    I have very little time available for FSX, but if the race is happening, I'll be there.
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Oh who am I kidding? Of course I'll be there. If there is a race. Thing is, it may be time to look at some changes. I know there is a faction out there that is of the opinion that if we can't do it the way we've always been doing it, then we shouldn't do it. Well, we're there, aren't we? Almost nobody showed up for last year's race! If the trend we've been on for the past few years continues, we'll have three team members this year, and they won't be able to sleep for four days. I look forward to this about like smashing my thumb with a hammer (or a chair).
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

If you are looking for a rookie racer, I'm in. I've finally got a good PC, time available, and most importantly, a new espresso machine.
    I've also flown a lot of flights this year running Duenna to get a feel for it.
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

Quote Originally Posted by CP1207 View Post
    If you are looking for a rookie racer, I'm in. I've finally got a good PC, time available, and most importantly, a new espresso machine.
    I've also flown a lot of flights this year running Duenna to get a feel for it.
    Thank you Sir; how I wish there were 5-7 more just like you :-)

As for my interest, if we can muster 12 pilots, I am in.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

If I get a new hard drive for Christmas I might just make it. I tried to make it last year and work got in the way. This year I really want to at least show up for some sleepless nights. LOL

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Ya gettin the band back together ? Where's Larry and his wife ?
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

I'm watching this thread! LOL

I didn't take part last year and I haven't even started FSX in the last 6 months and I moved FS9 (my usual race sim) to make room on my HD for other stuff and I've not put it back so I'm rusty and don't know at this point if I will be available.

I recently upgraded to Win 10 too and don't know if that is going to cause issues with flight sims or controllers yet either. I've had a couple of older games that refuse to run on Win 10.
    Larry

Only 8 pilots replying, well short of the requisite 12 minimum ideal staff.

Of the 8, half are conditional or "iffy" based on other things.

So, are we done?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Am waiting for new duenna link and a few more test sessions. Looks good so far.

Color me 'Iffy'.
    MaddogK

Milton,
    Another ifiy, will try to make it this year, and try to understand some of the rules.

I hope we have a race. If there is one I'll be there. We should probably be practicing by now...
    HP Reverb G2

I would love to join in this year, but have 2 problems

1) I havent touched FSX or my joystick (ooh err misssus!) for over a year so am really out of practice...not that I was that good before

2) Most importantly, since moving to the wild west coast of Scotland my internet here is DREADFUL! I mean I am better off with 2 tin cans & some string!
    Last night I gave up posting this as the page didnt load for 30 minutes, so getting voice comms, real weather, and especially posting baton posts, would make me a liability

I can try but dont hold out much hope

Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski65 View Post
    I would love to join in this year, but have 2 problems

1) I havent touched FSX or my joystick (ooh err misssus!) for over a year so am really out of practice...not that I was that good before

2) Most importantly, since moving to the wild west coast of Scotland my internet here is DREADFUL! I mean I am better off with 2 tin cans & some string!
    Last night I gave up posting this as the page didnt load for 30 minutes, so getting voice comms, real weather, and especially posting baton posts, would make me a liability

I can try but dont hold out much hope
    Kowalski. you have had an eventful year Sir :-)

Understand your predicament. Flightsim and we are in similar boats; not enough pilots to go around, so not sure any of us will get to race this year. We'll keep trying right up to the last minute to recruit and train. That's all we can do.

Thanks for the heads-up. Great to see you.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi all. Been some time. I have been very involved with many things the last few months. Will not be participating in the race this year.

Well count me in as an IFFY. Not done this before but sounds like fun.

Questions, perhaps premature, perhaps not:

1) Is there an agreed team route in mind or considered or how to agree on a start point and route (legs) and who does what and when?

2) I have checked out the White List and I don't fly any of the 'hotrods' but the do have the jet transports - so is there an agreed upon or common team aircraft being considered or is it use what you have as long as it is on the White List. Some of this is personal preference, I would rather be in the CS B707 with the AP than hand flying the Spitfire XIV over Siberia in the middle of the night.

3) Scenery stuff is not an issue but can you use REX weather as opposed to the FSX engine?

My major problem is the same as Spookster's - an intermittent internet connection and in my case electrical power ( I live off the grid with a mobile internet connection which is very good but can get flaky) and I would need to have some idea of schedule (which means everyone working on a common time zone, dare I say it UTC) so baton pick ups and drop of messages and duenna postings can be done properly. I am using FSXA and my FSUIPC is up to date and so is the rest of the kit so no issues there as far as I know. Night or day is fine by me and weather is not an issue as long as the route is known and thus some approach charts etc can be got together in advance in case they are needed.

Happy to help out with point 1 particularly planning as there is about three weeks to go so this is easily achievable. I will give the Duenna a run over the next few days to see if any issues on my system ( I could not get it to work with last race the McRoberston Miller England Australia race)

Hi BF,

The route this year will be published a couple of days before the race starts. We're not sure how it will work this year, as it will be the first time we have done it like this. In past years, only the start/finish airport was published, along with a set of rules that affected how we planned the route. Things such as "you have to hit every continent", and "you can't go above 75 degrees north", etc. This year the route will be published before we start, but we don't know to what "granularity". In other words, will they publish every single airport we have to land at, or just a few airports a few thousand miles apart, and we plan our own route between the required checkpoints? We don't know yet.

The white list is just that. It's the planes we're allowed to fly in the race. We don't really know what that will look like either. Whatever it turns out to be, the fact that we all have so few pilots means the more planes from the white list you're comfortable flying the better. And "comfortable" means practicing flying and landing at night and bad weather. That's why we hold practices...

An Internet connection is only strictly necessary when posting your "I have the baton" and "The baton is free" posts, but it does help to be available to receive weather reports and to report time to go to your destination.

We would love to have you aboard. Jump in the practice flights we're currently doing!
    HP Reverb G2

PRB - Noted. I see there are a number of unknowns, namely the route, the information so far is that it may be limited (I read that as it being confined and hence not a true RTW) and the helicopters being included (a new white list required), the 750nm and 2 hour limit with max of 3 but a penalty is confusing as to do a proper RTW means on several possible routes RTW a long overwater leg well in excess of 750 nm and 3 hours and even that would be required even between islands. I guess we will wait and see.

My preference for aircraft would be the Connie (L1049) then the B727 (CS) then the Shupe Lodestar (They all have respectable range and speed). I cannot do helicopters and have only the Real Air Spitfie XIV and none of the other faster listed pistons from the white list but I note that if they are a normal FS model they should be ok too.

Some of the White List birds are available as freeware. There are a number of them that work great in FS9 OR FSX (including FSX:SE). Most are WWII fighters, at least the the go-fasts Really, they are a great deal of fun to fly. Most have AP too, so you don't have to hand fly the entire leg. Just the T/O and landing.
    Pat☺

Ya, thats the big question- what helo's will be whitelisted. As for the rest of the planes, I think the list is essentially stripped down to 7 or so with the hard time cap of 48 hours and a mandated route to 'closest to finishline'.

TBH I'm less than enthused with the tentative plan.
    MaddogK

At the present time, I am in a wait and see situation.

re TACO - wait and see, so am I.

I am definitely interested in participating again this year, I just need to get a few things taken care of before the race. Though I will probably not be available for part of the day on both Friday or Saturday because of work, I'll have to see exactly what time when we get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski65 View Post
    Sounds about like my internet at home.
    Derry Hoggatt
    2014-2017, 2019+ Around the World Race Team Outhouse

Anyone know if FLIGHTSIM is gonna field a team this year ? I know they were hurting for pilots this year and it would feel odd not having them in the race this year.
    MaddogK

Members who have read this thread: 0