New Zealand Earthquake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Earthquake

New Zealand Earthquake

Just wanted to say that I heard from our member Ian Warren last night and he said he rode out the quake okay. Lot's of after shocks but so far he is doing okay. Keep him in your thoughts, please.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely will be thinking of Ian. Living in California increases my concerns for Ian.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

You are welcome, they have had quite a few after shocks, 2011 quake leveled a good portion of Christchurch, this was a ways past the city so they were lucky so far.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker

I am glad to read that, Thanks dharris for the information.

Glad to hear he's OK, thank you for letting us know! I was already worried about out NZ friends here.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Thanks for passing the message. Its good to know he is okay.

Huub

Glad he's OK!
    I grew up in a house 30' from the western edge of the San Andreas, so I'm familiar with the Earth's little jigglies. They even had a good rumble when I was on det to Clark Air Base, before Pinatubo buried it. Beautiful base. Great food at their chow halls too.
    Hope he stays ok. Those after-shocks can be pretty big.
    Pat☺

Hey guys Thanks for thinking of us and Thanks Don, almost the entire country felt it, smack on midnight the quake lasted for 2 minutes but was rolling least 1 and half minutes afterward. It was very very fortunate it hit a rural area , the Geo scientist said it had 30 time more energy than the 2011 Feb Christchurch quake ... they are say it was two earthquakes in one, basically two tech plate fighting each other, unfortunate and fortunate only two died ... Wellington had superficial damage , had that gone off under a major city it would have been catastrophic.

As I said to Don yesterday morning, I was looking at some new New Zealand Photo Real Scenery http://windowlight.co.nz/godzoneWP/ Dunedin , the shakes starts , I just look shoulder and say "Ladies and Gentlemen, Sorry we have run into a little turbulence, please tighten your seat belts"

Glad to see you have not lost your sense of humor! After all these years that I have known you, you always come up smiling. Still loving the paintings you have done for us, a nice connection to you for sure. For those of you that have not seen Ian's work take a look at my avatar, it is one of the paintings he did for me. Take care Ian, and keep your head down. (Mom, says Hi!).(Inside comment)
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD

Thanks Matey , Guys I'm very fortunate to own my little Pillbox come Art studio come Bungalow come Mancave, small and very strong ... the biggest thing is not having the weight of a roof , they can weight ton's .. six primary beams, a tin roof, so when it rains that can send ya of to sleep and the insulation is my four walls of aircraft and navy books , one flightsim wall .. course just to finish me off a nine foot tall 'Space Shuttle' directly in the middle ... when we get the quakes, that starts a wobbling like its on the pad with engines go (Hi Mom)

I'm OK here. It was huge quake, the shaking went on for a long time. My house seems to be ok, no damage.. but some doors were found half closed ,some items toppled, next day I noticed the wall pictures were all tilted so I rearranged them this morning. It woke me up at midnight, 12.04am to be precise, and scared me. I thought, oh, thats a quake...it will stop shortly...but it went on and on and got bigger and bigger and by then I realized it was a big one. I wasn't wearing my hearing device at the time, but other people told me they said the noise was like a freight train. I wish I had put it on so I would've heard it!!!
    Anyhow, the damage is big in other places around NZ. Cracked roads, ground split and moved 2 meters in opposite directions, big slips, seabed raised dry on the east coast, and on and on. On top of all this, heavy rain with flooding in places.
    Mark

@ mrogers That's the big thing now, with all the clean operations and repaired, we then get bad weather just to make it miserable , I saw the footage in Nelson, that was going for it, speaking to other across the country, was their first taste of a Quake, many international tourists in hotels in Wellington were at a loss for a place to go, so they opened up the NZ Gov's Beehive building specially EQ built and housed and kept people safe happy and fed , Breakfast in the morning, .... the damage tho is incredible, a new reef appears of the coast, even the main railway track snake of out of a tunnel and cross's state Hi-Way 1 ... something really did go BANG!

Glad you are OK.Things can get pretty rough
    across the ditch,earthquake wise.

Anthin...

Glad to see you guys are ok.
    I saw some pictures of the quake and its effects (damaged roads) on the news, it's quite impressive, especially the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    Glad you are OK.Things can get pretty rough
    across the ditch,earthquake wise.

Anthin...
    I know Australia was not known for earthquakes, but the Fire Yes that must get hot .. , I labeled 'Auckland' the volcanic center, 'Wellington' as the quake center and 'Christchurch' safe as houses center ... Whoops! we seemed to take the prize on that one as well, we did get some volcanic activity on Banks Peninsular after the Feb 2011 quake, another bag of 'chocolate pineapple lumps' for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Glad to see you guys are ok.
    I saw some pictures of the quake and its effects (damaged roads) on the news, it's quite impressive, especially the duration.
    I was just speaking to a good friend , well retired and just for a hobby and a little money mow's the lawns for some neighbours , on the night he ZZZZ'ed out around 10.00PM and woke on that time midnight ... Ole Jim said to me, "Oh BUGGER IT I'll just ride this out in bed" ... one thing he did say was the length he thought it was not going to end .

PS : may have to adjust my Avatar signature again , from 'Christchurch' and back to 'Wobblyville'

What I want to know though, have those poor cows been rescued yet? According to one article I found they have been rescued...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-e...a-quake-island

I'm glad to read that our friends are safe too!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Blog Entries
    Good to hear from you Ian, and very glad you rode that one out. Man...that's a biggie.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    What I want to know though, have those poor cows been rescued yet? According to one article I found they have been rescued...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-e...a-quake-island

I'm glad to read that our friends are safe too!
    Its a good RNZAF brought those NH-90's ... I'm sure they would be very safe now ... people see that, it will be the first thing to rescue, be done by now, amazing to see how the paddock simply sunk away.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Good to hear from you Ian, and very glad you rode that one out. Man...that's a biggie.
    Hey ya Gordon, one I said early in the thread , just shear lucky it was not under a populous center... 30 times the energy of the first Christchurch quake, it would have been one hell of a mess and very hi injury rate.

Always planned to get over to KiwiLand sometime....the missus has been there twice.....and the last time I was looking after the cats....

Better get there soon....before it sinks....

I'm glad everyone from here (this forum) is OK. I've only been through one earthquake and it was the weirdest "earthly" experience I've been through; especially since I was in Indiana. The epicenter was in Illinois and we mainly felt it because we were in a third floor apartment.

When I was stationed in Japan in 1966, I was having lunch in the mess hall, and noticed I was slipping away from the table, not fast or hard, it was a mild shock, and it was a very weird feeling having the floor move like that. Nothing like what Ian and friends went through.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Better get there soon....before it sinks....
    I'll get me bike pump out .... I can't swim full stop I simply go to the bottom .. then have the long walk out .. but which direction ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    I'm glad everyone from here (this forum) is OK. I've only been through one earthquake and it was the weirdest "earthly" experience I've been through; especially since I was in Indiana. The epicenter was in Illinois and we mainly felt it because we were in a third floor apartment.
    Oooo yeah, I felt one in a forth story just after Feb 11, that is a really weird sensation and close by a window .. the tree's in the park stopped going with the typical NE breeze .. the rest was seeing the dust clouds like exploding bombs , like half the Eight Air Force turned up obviously B-17

Members who have read this thread: 0