New Zealand Earthquake - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Zealand Earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    I'll get me bike pump out .... I can't swim full stop I simply go to the bottom .. then have the long walk out .. but which direction ?
    I can't swim either....probably why I'm on the biggest island on the planet...
    [though I was born on King Island]

Quote Originally Posted by dharris View Post
    When I was stationed in Japan in 1966, I was having lunch in the mess hall, and noticed I was slipping away from the table, not fast or hard, it was a mild shock, and it was a very weird feeling having the floor move like that. Nothing like what Ian and friends went through.
    It is a, gets to be quite exciting but to have some take your lunch away and no waiter ... I would not be paying a tip It is amazing how sedate everything is and one thinks is in order ... good example was my brother Rick was on the other side of the city , he yelled out to a workmate look a fire down the road , workmate Rex yelled run the building coming down behind you .. he then felt the quake .. Rick run across town, his work van was trapped, to my place out west .. word of the next couple of years was 'MUNTED' .

I personal don't get shaken up by them , more intrigued , but many many people simply break down ... and they did run from the city, this BOY .. seems everyone across the country got to understand and everyone really felt it, Greymouth NZ SI West coast all the way to Auckland and Tauranga , south of Christchurch to Dunedin ... but seemed to mellow there, when it first started I thought directly under us but was 90 km (56 m) away .. that was how strong it was.

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    What I want to know though, have those poor cows been rescued yet? According to one article I found they have been rescued...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-e...a-quake-island

I'm glad to read that our friends are safe too!
    Looks like the cow's were saved by a very resourceful farmer, the story may end up going virile ... going to be on our 6.00PM TV3 News Hub tonight so like you be looking forward to that

Looks like the cow's were saved by a very resourceful farmer, the story may end up going virile ... going to be on our 6.00PM TV3 News Hub tonight so like you be looking forward to that
    "virile"?
    Won't the sheep get jealous?...

I don't know .. "virile"? .. ya pulling the wool over me eyes ... it's 'Ianglish'

Good to hear, saw it on the news. Interesting that there were only the three cows in that field. I was in SF when the World Series Game (1989) earthquake happend.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Ted , three Moo Moo's on their own Island ... the farmer dug a ramp , have not seen footage, but he did 'the farmer' did say his cows were friendly and happy for the help .. so great end to that story.

Due to the 75th RNZN celebrations due to start , the invited USS Samson is heading into the Kaikoura coast to help out with getting trapped peoples out and fly in supplies , go US Navy

Thanks SPman , Footage I have not seen before , yeah ! its a hell of a mess, pleased the three Moo Moo's are home and grazing on flat paddocks.

Hi Ian, glad to hear you rode out the shaking. I spent hours and hours on Facebook Chat with my Kiwi friends in your CHCH area. Stunning to watch the GeoNZ site as the 3.1, 3.8, 4.1, etc quakes
    listed every 1 or 2 minutes. Especially Seddon and Kaikoura. Unreal! This keeps up you will all be off the coast of Hawaii by Xmas! :-)

All kidding aside I sure hope it settles down for you and my Kiwi friends on the South Island.

That cows and calf pic was on every news broadcast in Canada. :-)

Looking at your Hwy #1 pics.....that is going to cost billions to fix as is the rail line.

CK
    Flying Canada's "Left Coast"

Hey CK not a bad ideal being of the coast of Hawaii .. I like to visit Pearl Harbour As for the Moo Moo's footage here had them grazing safely in a flat paddock, from this morning news report.
    "In one bright spot for the quake recovery, three cows that were filmed stranded on a tiny island after their field collapsed around them have been rescued. The farmer that owns them dug a track and encouraged them to come down."

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaKen View Post
    Stunning to watch the GeoNZ site as the 3.1, 3.8, 4.1, etc quakes listed every 1 or 2 minutes. Especially Seddon and Kaikoura. Unreal!
    I checked the GeoNZ again a thought come to me, after the original Sep 2010 Christchurch, it was the same pattern, very strong after shock's then midday Feb 11 , six month later was the killer quake so lets hope we don't get a repeat of that, another thing I noticed , one fault gets aggravated and the EQ's start in another spot , not a ticking time bomb anymore, the fuse has been lit so its going to be where next time?

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    My thoughts are with you and your fellow New Zealanders except for Saturday night in the 4 Nations Final .

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Arr Pat , I don't watch sport anymore .. every-time its New Zealand kicks butt and Win's again

I checked the GeoNZ again a thought come to me, after the original Sep 2010 Christchurch, it was the same pattern, very strong after shock's then midday Feb 11 , six month later was the killer quake so lets hope we don't get a repeat of that, another thing I noticed , one fault gets aggravated and the EQ's start in another spot , not a ticking time bomb anymore, the fuse has been lit so its going to be where next time?
    My buddy in ChCh said the same thing....."Big one came later". :-(

I see NZ is a few hundred acres larger now....now that rising seabed is just freakin' weird.

CK
    Flying Canada's "Left Coast"

I see NZ is a few hundred acres larger now....now that rising seabed is just freakin' weird.
    When the big one hit, my brother was opposite side of the city, I'm in the west side close to airport, during the first strike during the day, Rick was yelling to a work mate, fire down the street ... it come so quick, Rex the workmate yelled out! run the build is coming down behind you .. , with every thing flattened and still moving Rick run to my place .. a good 6 miles in a straight line .. must have broken some records there, then borrow's my mountain bike and bikes another 3 to 4 mile to a Family place .. then checking them OK then bikes out to West Melton to his home another 20 miles West of Christchurch ... now that was a man on a mission!

Yeah , It was amazing to see the local fishing town speaking and with their knowledge and saying it is high tide yet it is low tide and a new reef.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Arr Pat , I don't watch sport anymore .. every-time its New Zealand kicks butt and Win's again
    Ian, what happened to NZ butt kicking other teams. Appears they got theirs kicked well and truly .

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Obviously mentioned I don't follow the sports anymore but I recon it would have been put down to 'SHAKY BOOTS'

Members who have read this thread: 0