Centaur and air wing

Thread: Centaur and air wing

Centaur and air wing

I’m taking a liberty and posting a few pictures from P3D here in the FSX forum as all of the aircraft and ships seen in the screenshots works in both sims. It has become a little polarized between the two camps regarding which sim which is the future, so I’ll show off the new world P3D brings to carrier flying compared to the old FSX. In short, P3D has revolutionized the feel of flying out at sea with the dynamic 3d sea/waves and ships moving with the waves. Finally we are starting to see some of the factors which make the real world carrier flying so demanding and dangerous.

Sort of an offspring of the Sea Hawk thread, a collection of HMS Centaur aircraft from the 1958-59 commission. It also shows the large gift Rob has given to the FS community with all his post war military aircraft. Included here are Robs;
    -dH Sea Venom FAW.22 of 891 Sqn (painted by me)
    The demarcation line of the dark sea grey on the forward fuselage is lower than the standard Sea Venom scheme and covers the intake completely. It also had a Kon Tiki badge on the tail, do any of you know the reason for this?
    -Fairey Gannet AS.4 of 810 Sqn (painted by me)
    -Sea Hawk FGA.6 (paint by Dave B)

All of the above were on their very last legs in British service and it might have been the last sea cruise of the respective aircraft before being replaced by newer types.
    The Westland Whirlwind (painted by me) is from the HMS Victorious pack by flying station.
    The HMS Centaur model is the Majestic-class painted up as the Centaur. Both ships have a similar external appearance, the only major difference is that Centaur is a bit bigger. But the overall deck dimensions scale down to match the Majestic class deck very well.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

P3D certainly has far superior lighting.

Jens, did you ever release your Centaur repaint for the Majestic model? If it is possible I would like to receive a copy.

Best regards,
    Randy

The demarcation line of the dark sea grey on the forward fuselage is lower than the standard Sea Venom scheme and covers the intake completely. It also had a Kon Tiki badge on the tail, do any of you know the reason for this?
    No real clue, 'The Squadrons and Units of the Fleet Air Arm' states that the squadron CO wrote to Thor Heyerdahl to ask for permission to use the head on the squadron crest but enigmatically doesn't say why! Oddly for a unit that was active in WW2 they don't seem to have commissioned a crest until 1955. The squadron didn't seem to get East of Suez until 1958 so it doesn't seem to be based on any time operating around Polynesia.

Members who have read this thread: 2