Simple Question

Thread: Simple Question

Simple Question

I recently dloaded a few new skins to replace stock CFS2 ones. I noticed on some of the new skins the opposite side of the fuselage was just a flipped copy of the original and this flip side had letters and numbers backwards. I used IrfanView to copy the correct side. I then cut out the "offending" areas and simply pasted the correct text replacing the backwards. I then touched up all around the pastes and just blended the paint and shadows to closely represent the original. Easy so far or so I thought.

I now see that the 5 or so I have completed already are now 24 bit and 3 mb and the original is 8 bit and 1 mb. Is there any special way to do this or a best way? I am basically learning this by myself so being self taught is a hit and miss and I guess good and bad. I can't find any proper way in the manual to change the color depth from 24 bit back to 8 bit and what I did find I am not sure of. I know I can simply copy and protect the file and just go ahead try to change the bit count however...I'd rather see how others are doing this. Remember I'm a newbie to this part of the sims so go easy on me...lol!

In addition what is the proper way to share these new skins? I originally fixed these skins for myself and then thought since I haven't made anything before and it fixes them nicely maybe others would like the corrections I made too. Does this warrant contacting original authors for permission to post the corrections to their work? Some came from Hagochu (Akemi Mizoguchi). I know about including original texts, if any, in any re-released files.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/

get dxtbmp to change the format.
    JohnH_049

Ok I already have that and will use it to change it. I use that to view all bmp files anyway.

Thanks Johnh

I use ImageTool, part of the FS SDK package with Gmax. It does a very nice job at format changes for all 8, 16, 24, 32, DXT1, DXT3, etc. changes.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Thank you Milton I surely appreciate the help. I am not sure why some of these opposite fuselage are released with text backwards being just a flip side copy. I just used the program you suggested and that was exactly what I was looking for.

Suppose I wanted to share these corrections, is it protocol to contact the original author for permission to post my additions to his/her work?

Granted my fixes are simpleton at best, but I enjoy it alot!

Thank you much in advance.

If it's a fix on someone else's texture work, yes you should get their permission before uploading them somewhere.
    if nothing else, it's a courtesy thing.
    JohnH_049