Birds!

Thread: Birds!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Birds!

Some shots from the bird zoo Avifauna a few weeks ago. A small but interesting zoo with plenty of opportunities to see some interesting birds fly

Grey crowned crane (Balearica regulorum)

Crested cariama (Cariama cristata) demonstrating how it kills a (rubber) snake by smashing it repeatedly on a stone:

Rainbow lorikeet (Trichoglossus moluccanus) which you can feed, so great for some close-ups! (And some bird s#!t too...)

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) Demonstrating its diving technique:

After his catch he couldn't fly out of the water again and had to swim to shore:

Griffon vulture (Gyps fulvus):

black kite (Milvus migrans)

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Steller's sea eagle (Haliaeetus pelagicus), one of my favourite Birds of prey. Dwarves the Bald Eagle in size!:

A group of white stork (Ciconia ciconia); not part of the exhibit, but they live around the park and gather around for feeding time:

Hey!

Nice pics, thanks for sharing! Where exactly is the location of the park?

I have two cockatiels (valkparkieten) [Nymphicus hollandicus] at home. I love birds - machine or being.

And by the waym nice to see from your profile pic you were in Hermeskeil.

Best regards,
    Christian

Christian,

You can find Avifauna in Alphen aan de Rijn, globally located in the center of the triangle Amsterdam/Den Haag/Utrecht.
    But before you jump in the car, the park is opened during the winter period, but no bird demonstrations during that period. They resume the flying displays in April.
    More info here: https://www.avifauna.nl/home-en/

And yes I visited the Hermeskeil museum twice now. Nice cold war collection there, with some interesting objects!

Thanks for the hint, I keep it on the radar, if I pay a visit to the Netherlands again.

Members who have read this thread: 0