We've Lost Another FS Legend
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We've Lost Another FS Legend

Posted just minutes ago by his girlfriend, Garry J Smith has passed. I've asked for info on any flower/memorial fund, and will pass it along if/when I get it.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Very sad news. For the short time I knew him, talked with him in the Forums... he was truly a fine gentleman. Rest in Peace, mate.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    R.I.P. Garry.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

So sorry to hear that Garry has passed. He sure contributed a lot to the FS community.

sad news, one of the pillars of FS

- dcc
    - -

A sad loss. His enthusiasm, output and generosity to our community were as boundless as his virtual horizons.

When St Peter hands over his wings at the pearly gates, they had better have rivets in them. Garry loved his rivets.

I once suggested that a repaint had a lot of rivets for a plane that was made of wood. Garry simply replied that he liked rivets. Can't say fairer than that.

Blog Entries
    He really is quite a loss to the community. Rest in peace Garry you will be missed.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Damn.......May he fly in the best conditions above...

Another loss of one of the greats.

RIP.

Anthin.

RIP Garry.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

SOH-CM-2020
    Vale Garry - so many great paints and tutorials over such a long time.

Members +
    I was sad & surprised this morning, when I saw Tom's post. It was just Friday past that I last communicated with Garry.

Garry, with Ed Moore, had the most innovative site, The Ford Tri-Motor Project. http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/frontpage.htm
    Here you can find Garry's own catalogue of paints, the repository of Mike Stone's planes, Milton's planes, as well as the Ford Project.

Garry's work included an awesome range of paints, scenery, planes, and various projects, such as the Blackhawk project, India, Fordlandia, Manchukuo, & a whole bunch of scenery add-ons to compliment the various projects. One of his latest scenery add-ons included ramps. I have been a beta tester for Garry for the last few months, & we were testing things such as banked circular & oval tracks & runways, as well as a Death Star project.

Thanks to Garry, some time ago, for giving me back my simming mojo. I was getting very bored with the usual point to point flying, when I came across his site.
    So, I went back to my simming roots, installed another instance of FS2004, & installed ALL of the add-ons I could find on the site.
    I dropped Garry a line to thank him, & we became e-mail friends, as well as a beta tester. Garry was always open to new ideas, & the banked tracks & Death Star came about.

He always said that flight simming must be a bit of Fact, Fiction & Fun, & for me, this is what it has become.

Garry once told me an interesting story about himself....
    'At the time Australia had military conscription in full swing for 18+ (to pump up troop numbers for the Vietnam war) and I though I would beat the system and try to join the RAAF for 3 years and avoid the conscript which was for 2 years in the Army with a guaranteed tour of Vietnam.

I was fortunate in being selected for the RAAF - only a very few got through the selection process as many other lads had the same idea :-) - the RAAF could afford to be very selective and for some reason I was one of the lucky ones.

I got married in my first year in the RAAF - and like an idiot volunteered for a Tour of Vietnam - only a 3 month stint - was better than a 12 month run by the Army lads. But as luck would have it - in the second week in country, whilst doing a Huey run over the jungle, had our chopper shot out of the sky by a Gunner in a USAF Huey who was shot by ground fire and died on the trigger of his machine gun and swept through our aircraft. I and one of our gunners survived the crash however I was pretty seriously wounded. After a scary night in the jungle we were picked up by a Chinook and ultimately full medivac back to Australia. Nearly a year of multiple surgeries and hospital to recover.

Over the last two years I have undergone several major surgery runs to correct some of the problems that were becoming disabling in regards to the war wounds over 40 years go. Was fortunate that the Senior Professor of Surgery (top Dog) here in Newcastle was invited in by my scheduled surgeon to consult on the issues. After discussing the circumstances and the difficulties expected he told my surgeon that he would take on the task and my surgeon could assist. Brilliant surgeon - sliced me from ribs to crutch and hip to hip and resolved most things in the first surgery run of 8 hours (3 surgeons working on me). Second run - two surgeons and 6 keyhole surgeries (5 hours) - removed remainder problems and then removed all scar tissue from my war wound and the recent surgery. Sewed everything up from the inside - not a stitch mark or scar on my stomach now. Unfortunately, all of the shuffling around inside encouraged a hernia to pop - so another surgery run - again three surgeons but only 4 hours of surgery - again no scars. Still recovering from the overall effects of the surgeries and still on pain meds etc - told it will take around 2 years for everything to settle down to normal - but life is a hell of a lot better than it was early last year. I am not supposed to be working for long hours anymore - but - how do you turn off having fun on the computer ?

Garry J. Smith, yet another great guy that we have lost, our hobby will be far less without you, but your add-ons will live on, all over the world.

Blue Skys!!
    Last edited by zswobbie1; October 26th, 2016 at 02:28.

"Garry, L. Smith, yet another great guy that we have lost, our hobby will be far less without you, but your add-ons will live on, all over the world."

zswobbie1, I could not have put it better myself, a fitting tribute.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Robin, thanks for sharing your story! And, thoughts and prayers for Garry's loved ones. He will be missed by the FS family but his legacy lives on.

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

A gentleman

Had some correspondence with him about difficulties I was having with some areas of repainting Warrick Carter's P-51D. Garry was really helpful even though it had been a while since he had looked at this aircraft.

A real loss of a very talented individual.

Icon9 Reply...

Hey guys,

I am very sad about this as well. His repaints and legacies are littered throughout our library. A great person and outstanding contributor.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Icon9 Oh no...

I am deeply saddened at Garry's loss. I didn't know him, however I enjoy(ed) his work a lot and thank him for his great contibution for the FS community. My sincerest condolences to his family and nearest.

Thanks, Tom, for informing us.

Best, Christian

Icon9

Very very sad new
    Rare are my FS2004 cessions when I don't fly one of the repaints of Garry Smith
    A big lost for our FS world

Icon9

And now we can only cry and pray
    I wonder what will become of his site

A man most generous with his time, humour, and his superb artistry. We are less without him.

Clear skies and the most benevolent tailwind, Garry.

Sorry to learn of a great FS Legend's passing....RIP Garry, you will live on in our memory.
    Mark

Yes, a very fine and creative gentleman. I had the opportunity to correspond a few times with him, too. Goodbye Garry, you will be missed.

Members +
    Ford-Tri-Motor web site
    For anyone interested, the site has been renewed for another year. All three (com-net-org) will be good for another year. Garry and I, both agreeded to continue until we kicked the bucket!! Well, I am still at it - smile!
    Take care, go fly - have fun!
    Regards to all,
    Ed Moore

So much said here in memory of Gary. His dedication to the hobby shined with the mass of contributions.
    R.I.P, Sir.

Members who have read this thread: 0