Monty's C-47 (1948) wip!
Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Monty's C-47 (1948) wip!

Cool Monty's C-47 (1948) wip!

Some work thus far...

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Ted-

You keep tempting me! ATM I'm flying the Orbx World Aleutians in Sibwings' An-2, but soon, very soon I shall be driving London Control batty with Kestrel & Kittyhawk flights in and out of the Royal Suite. It's grand fun fitting in between the 777s on short final .

KN628 is just the ticket- Ta!

C

PS- I started the repaint thread asking someone to paint the RAE Dak... So if you are ever inclined... That would be splendid as well!

Looking great Ted
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Thanks guys! Few pics with alpha added. Spending most of my time cross-referencing many pics of C-47's. Exploring the possibilities!

Need to move the outer reinforced wing panel a few inches out than it shows here.

Here's one of Monty's C-47 used by the Queen. (1961) Notice the special door added to the rear cargo door. Hmm... adding another door... my next project maybe! Yep, I think so!!!

Last edited by TuFun; October 14th, 2016 at 17:29.

Ted, the attention to detail is just amazing ! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Ted-

I started the repaint thread asking someone to paint the RAE Dak... So if you are ever inclined... That would be splendid as well!
    Have you contacted Bernhard Lechner about upgrading his RAE Dak? His email is in the readme.

Ted-

I tried PM'ing him... will try email...ta!

C

PS- love the shot of HM onboard!!

Progress on wing detail...

Leading edges look great, almost looked like de-ice boots on the previous posting. Excellent work ! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post
    Leading edges look great, almost looked like de-ice boots on the previous posting. Excellent work ! Mike
    Booty's are off temporarily.

Mostly done for few tidbits (booties, etc.), next is bottom part of the wings to do.

Wow, amazing.

That's payware quality, but what else can we expect when Tufun is involved.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Did some flying around Monterey, CA. Checking the Dak out in P3Dv3.4

Testing new spec, bumps and alphas on the wings. Added irregularities in the bumps to break up shine reflections. Looking for the right combos!

A peek at some of the work on the fuselage.

Last edited by TuFun; November 2nd, 2016 at 15:22. Reason: Updated pic!

Looking Great , one thing when close up to a DC-3 .. all those little lumpy bits they call rivets

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Looking Great , one thing when close up to a DC-3 .. all those little lumpy bits they call rivets
    Fact is there are some five hundred thousand (500,000+) rivets were used in the manufacture of the Douglas DC-3 airplane. I believe it after looking at walkarounds of the aircraft!

The average size used in the manufacture was approximately 3-8 inches long, and if laid end-to-end, the rivets would cover a distance of 15,625 feet or more than three miles.

Some progress today...

Ted-

I have a feeling your labor of love will be my favorite girl at the ball. Just the ticket for driving London Control quite mad by slowing to 90kts on a long final with a half-dozen heavies behind me. Then gently slowing to make the turn-off for the Royal Suite to pick up HM.... the radio chatter should be brilliant.

Seriously lovely stuff mate!

Ta- C

Very Nice! I've held off on the C-47. That might have to change.

I'm working on a makeover for the Cal Classic C-46 (and JBK B307) and the rivets can be quite maddening. Good close up pics are hard to find and not many references show the rivets.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Very Nice! I've held off on the C-47. That might have to change.

I'm working on a makeover for the Cal Classic C-46 (and JBK B307) and the rivets can be quite maddening. Good close up pics are hard to find and not many references show the rivets.
    There are some areas that I can't see on the C-47 and comb the net daily for that one photo. There are some fantastic blueprints, but at a cost.

Scaling is a problem due the mapping of the model, so are limited to how the rivets look.

I find it fun to see if one can replicate an aircraft in the virtual world! Plus this as inspiration... http://www.manuelflemming.de/douglas-c-47/

That is some fine panel and rivet work there TuFun. I assume you are redoing the bump maps too.
    Will you be releasing those layers for the PK by chance when you are done? I sure would like to update
    my released paints with those.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

If this paint doesn't weigh in at 2GIG I'll be amazed!

Yep it's madding how large the files are... close to locking up my computer with 16GB DDR3.

Anyways most of my time getting those rivets on the borderline on the wing fairing set.

Alpha in the SPEC.... alpha in the .DDS.... MetalWorks! Fairing revised, nose and aft med section need attention next.

Some areas need fixing...

Members who have read this thread: 0