H.XVIIIB Amerika Bomber - New Jet bomber? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: H.XVIIIB Amerika Bomber - New Jet bomber?

glad you like it, guys

ok, time to model some bomb stuff. Ive found a few images, I would do two of them as cfs3 weapon, still dunno too much about such nazi nuke "what-ifs". should take each America Bomber one such single devill tool?

I did the Horten bay able to take one bigger thing at pylon0 (middle of the airplane bottom), holding the bomb with a pylon_null (invicible pylon mesh). would need to know the size (lenght at least) of the single bomb object. it probbaly will need to let open bay doors to hold there some fatman variants.

once the devastator stuff will be modelled, we would need someone who would make a proper bomber flight model and the bomb settings / efetcs. if this things will be not done, the stuff is useless / unreleasable for all of you.
    my current CFS3 Horten is a copy of MiG-15 physics (yeah, LOL) and isnt able to fly heavy bomb loadout
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bombs.jpg   ho18.jpg   ho18a.jpg   132696_0.jpg   132693_0.jpg  

thanks

ok, two America Bomber weapons created and ingame. 2x 4.5 tone bomb (plutonium "Innsbruck" type and uranimum "Ohroruf" type).

I did the weapon proportions from the image source above, where the Horten wing is with the Innsbruck type bomb presented. the bomb bay is small for such large weapons, but it was excepatble. the doors needs to be open.

I did the bomb door animation vice versa, so, when the bomb is released, you can close the door.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ho_13b_bomb_02.jpg   ho_13b_bomb_03.jpg   ho_13b_bomb_01.jpg  

a nuke bomb test and skin template made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ho18b_med_06.jpg   ho18b_med_08.jpg   ho18b_med_07.jpg  

Very nice there Borek!

Got me re-intersted in the luft'46 ac. Always liked the Ho18.

Cheers

Shessi

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    You are one busy man!! Thanks to all involved and hope you get the help needed for this project.

glad you like the America Bomber low poly

as mentioned, such mini-project is relatively well and quickly doable relating to the external 3d model and basic CFS3 features.

I could tweak some mesh shape there or here and merge the LODs and add the damage effects and basically I am done.
    people will be able to repaint the bomber if they wish with the included skin template.

now just depends, if this project will die or if we find someone who can made the flight model and bomb settings.
    as to the a-bombs I simply took FirePower Little Boy xdp settings, just decreased its weight, to be able to take it with our Horten into the sky.

some interesting notes to play the aircraft by player instead of planned AI:

Ive tried to merge our Horten 18B model with the stock CFS3 Horten/Gotha 229 virtual cockpit, just out of a pure curiosity, but it would need to reposition the main gmax model or its world axis node, which in case of such big airplane comparing to the small Gotha would take big effect on the current flight model (center of mass, contact points etc.).
    the Gotha VC is positioned now under the wing, bottom, neraby of the bomb bay doors also, our Horten 18 is four engined jet, the Ho/Go 229 is two egined...

so I made a simple VC eyepoint into our regular Horten interiror. it doesnt look too much well because of the model mesh simplicity / lack of details or even gauges, but allows to "enjoy" the feeling of the pilot / bomber / navigator seat nicely, esp. when formation flight

I may add some eyepoint at some outside position aswell, somewhere behind and upper of the canopy, it may look cool maybe.

what I dont know is how to make the regular CFS3 bomber view. any tips, guys?

You did an outstanding job! Thanks for taking my thread into reality! Iīm sorry i canīt help you with the bombsight question...

for those who might interested about The Horten brothers story you can find this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOB45i5BtQQ

All the best

SOH-CM-2020
    I take my hat off to you, BorekS. I really hope someone has the time to help you with the air file and the bomb aimer position etc. You work so fast that I suspect those few with the ability to help are a little stretched. I would happily try to hash up something but unfortunately my health is problematic at present.

It is a pleasure to see all these projects on the go

thanks

ok, I did the bombsight view the way I was supposing it may work... and it surprisingly somehow works. aside the common "static" bomb view I did a second bomb site camera set, positioned at the bay, over the weapon, which allows to manually track the falling bomb a bit.
    I dunno exactly how to properly aim the targed to hit it successfully, but the nuke bomb doesnt need to be much accurate infact
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ho18b_nuke_01.jpg   ho18b_nuke_02.jpg   ho18b_nuke_03.jpg   ho18b_nuke_04.jpg  

and here are the shots of the mentioned VC cam set. its the simple external mesh, three crew - three cams. no textures, no gauges. but its better then nothing, I suppose
    could be all improved in future, but its not the goal now.

also new test skin made...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ho18b_med_12.jpg   ho18b_med_11.jpg   ho18b_med_10.jpg   ho18b_med_09.jpg  

Wounderful. That last pic is an awesome skin.

Wow...nice one Boreks ! so many project you've there
    btw can we have a decent ww2 pilot model too !?! #myrequest

thanks, mate

next step is to texture the (external) interiror and bomb bay / doors. Ive also tweaked some mesh parts for the LOD_100...

if you think with a decent ww2 pilot model something better then the stock CFS3 figures, I have just the Komet figure only.
    having no plan to model something new now, sorry

for the America Bomber project I wanted to do it all as simpler as it gets. well, I may try to put the "bad boy" pilot from the Komet airplane, but such figures then are visible at the game menu airfield scene sitting inside. also I am not sure if they can bail-out... ok, a true is they looks very spooky with the oxygen mask and googles - atomic devils

Quote Originally Posted by lgoncalv View Post
    That last pic is an awesome skin.
    glad you like it, I took the inspiration here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ho18.jpg  

as announced, the model is completelly textured now, including the interior and bay.

another new skin made aswell.

my job what lefts is merging the LODs, adding some damage emitters and my part of the project is basically done. the whole case took less then a week free time-frame, sofar...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ho18_med_03.jpg   Ho18_med_02.jpg   Ho18_med_01.jpg   Ho18_med_06.jpg   Ho18_med_05.jpg   Ho18_med_04.jpg  

Last edited by BorekS; October 12th, 2016 at 00:12.

Quote Originally Posted by BorekS View Post
    glad you like it, guys

ok, time to model some bomb stuff. Ive found a few images, I would do two of them as cfs3 weapon, still dunno too much about such nazi nuke "what-ifs". should take each America Bomber one such single devill tool?

I did the Horten bay able to take one bigger thing at pylon0 (middle of the airplane bottom), holding the bomb with a pylon_null (invicible pylon mesh). would need to know the size (lenght at least) of the single bomb object. it probbaly will need to let open bay doors to hold there some fatman variants.

once the devastator stuff will be modelled, we would need someone who would make a proper bomber flight model and the bomb settings / efetcs. if this things will be not done, the stuff is useless / unreleasable for all of you.
    my current CFS3 Horten is a copy of MiG-15 physics (yeah, LOL) and isnt able to fly heavy bomb loadout

Cheers Boreks glad for your commitment.
    Letīs hope someone willing to turn this marvel playable as well.

All the best

Nel

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Wondering if i should learn how to do cockpits , air files and other details rather than making aircraft models.Where are tutorials for cockpits,airfiles ,config and xpd's ?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Wondering if i should learn how to do cockpits , air files and other details rather than making aircraft models.Where are tutorials for cockpits,airfiles ,config and xpd's ?
    I think the Microsoft Aircraft and Vehicle SDK here at SOH is your best bet. There are one or two editors for air or cfg files for civilian versions of MS product, which may contain useful readmes too.

And there is Viso's 'Boom-and-Zoom' tutorial too: http://www3.telus.net/murrdaka/tutorial/B2BNZ.htm

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

I just wounder to learn how to do both things! I just lack enough time to it. But iīm sure, sooner our later, somebody will turn Borekīs impressive job into the ultimate addon!

well, I was trying to make the Horten flying wing more like a heavy bomber. I took the Komet B-17 AI and later the free downloadable B-29 .air and .cfg files as a base.

did the proper position of the airplane at the airfield surface. removed the tail wheel lock at the .air file (using AirEd), to avoid of the annoying ingame message.

did the needed four engined jet settings at the .cfg file aswell.

also did the four engine startup sequence effects working as they should work...

... the only bad thing is the airplane still is sticky at his start position, even if all the engines are 100% power. LOL.
    so, out of a pure curiosity I took the stock Me 262 .air file. then the airplane can roll-out, but its too heavy for take-off at short airfield, unsurprisingly the roll-out it seems is a matter of the .air file settings, but I dunno what to change there.

a true is the regular Horten 18B was planned to use very long airfields for take-off, assuming much more then a B-29.
    for the CFS3 we would need to make it just a bit acceptable.

as you can see, this really isnt a part of modding I am able to do myself. but I gave it to go, at least.
    Last edited by BorekS; October 17th, 2016 at 06:37.

I spent the last couple of evenings getting a new UBomb effect put together for these bombs. The design intent was to emphasize the luminous shock wave after break away from the fireball, atmospheric condensation effects, and secondary ground fires triggered by the thermal radiation. Because of the large size of the effect elements I've used lager textures to avoid having them look too pixelated. My aircraft dropped the bomb on the right, and my wingman was assigned to drop on the left target some minutes later so you can see both the initial effects and the more persistent ones in this sequence.

Last edited by MajorMagee; October 19th, 2016 at 19:15.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Great shot !

Members who have read this thread: 3