Windows Update downloading ssllooooooww...

Thread: Windows Update downloading ssllooooooww...

Icon5 Windows Update downloading ssllooooooww...

Has anyone else experienced a noticeable slow down of download times for Windows Updates? The latest batch from September is still out there and I can't seem to get Windows 7 to download the updates I've selected. A friend of mine is experiencing the same, and in some cases... won't download at all. Everything else works and this little machine is still lightning quick for being 8 years old. I use both IE and Firefox, no probs with either. Just curious...

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I'm running Windows 8.1 and at times updates are slow for it too, and that could be MS. Sometimes "peak usage" slows it down a lot too.

Run Malware Bytes. You could have something in your computer that's also slowing updates down.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

I use both Malwarebytes and Norton Internet Securities..... Both scans came up clean. I think something is missing in the "services" department, however all of my software is updating just fine... except Windows....

BB686

My windows 7 won't actually update any more......

Regular as clockwork but only what I decide to take!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I've tried a number of fixes for the slow Win 7 updating but the only one that worked for me is on this page: http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-7-k...tes-for-hours/ At the bottom of "Solution 1" are eight Windows Update Client updates that can be downloaded without navigating MS's labyrinth of download experiences. I simply download the eight KB's, install, then start updating Windows 7. Have used this solution on eight Windows 7 SP1 installs since early 2016.

HTH

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

I am still receiving updates. One optional today.

George

Quote Originally Posted by lownslo View Post
    I've tried a number of fixes for the slow Win 7 updating but the only one that worked for me is on this page: http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-7-k...tes-for-hours/ At the bottom of "Solution 1" are eight Windows Update Client updates that can be downloaded without navigating MS's labyrinth of download experiences. I simply download the eight KB's, install, then start updating Windows 7. Have used this solution on eight Windows 7 SP1 installs since early 2016.

HTH

Greg
    I went to that page via the link, and downloaded the 8 Windows Updates. I ran the first one as administrator, and the install "hangs" with "Searching for Updates on this Computer" message. There is a "fixit" tool from Microsoft for Windows Update which is supposed to diagnose and repair any issues found. When I run the executable it cycles through and gets to the "Resolving Issues" message and then hangs... forever! Using the "Process Explorer" utility it does show that 24% of the CPU is tied up with the Windows Update service (Wuauclt.exe), under (svchost.exe).

Everything else in the machine works perfectly. Both Norton and Malwarebytes scans came up clean. Interesting....

BB686

Another one today: KB53150513.

George

I've never had trouble downloading, but I went for about two years without receiving any updates at all. I thought MS had just quit updating W7. Then a few months back, I got a notification of over 100 updates waiting! I've been getting them regularly ever since.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

A long time ago I subscribed to a notification from MS on their updates. Most of the critical ones come on the second Tuesday of each month, but they sometimes will show up on the following Thursday or even the fourth Tuesday. This is for both the OS and the MS Office products for my Desktop Win8.1 and the wife's Laptop Win7.0. I perform a manual install on each and both are set to notify me of updates, but allow me to select the install.

I have the GWX Control Panel installed on both machines to prevent any Win10 stuff from being installed. On occasion there are updates that I just "hide" because of the Win10 features. The remaining "critical" updates get installed, whereas I exercise caution on any "optional" updates. At one time I installed some "optional" drivers on the wife's machine only to have to restore everything since it screwed up her audio.

My process is to update my desktop first and make sure all were successful installs, then do the wife's laptop. My i7 machine takes the downloads quickly, whereas the wife's i3 laptop takes much longer. Other than that, there is an occasional slowdown only in locating the updates but no major issues once I elect to install them.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Everything else in the machine works perfectly. Both Norton and Malwarebytes scans came up clean. Interesting.... BB686
    Meh, these computers sometimes seem far more confounding than interesting

Of course, the obvious questions... did you disable Norton before trying to install? Is Malwarebytes the free version (that only scans without interfering with installs)?

I should note that all of the updates I've utilized from that website are on fresh installs of Win7 64bit SP1. Evenso, did you try installing the other 7 KB's after the first hung?

Good luck,

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Problem resolved, but not without a lot of steps. After a clean reboot, had to run a DOS program that completely resets everything within the Windows Update program in Win7. Had to shut off the anti-virus for that. After another re-boot I was able to install the Critical Update from Microsoft that was needed to be able to connect, download and install Windows Updates. Apparently Microsoft made some changes on their end and if one had an outdated Windows Update Client on their PC, the download process would just hang there and use up resources... I had the help of Microsoft Support... chap by the name of Kevin, he gets all the kudos for the resolution to this nagging little issue. I had all of the necessary updates downloaded manually so Kevin went in and just picked out the ones he needed. Thanks to lownslo for posting the link in this thread which allowed me to download the necessary files manually, and for all the other suggestions posted in this thread from you chaps. Saved some time during the fixing process.

BB686

Members who have read this thread: 0