Texture Gaps in Models

Thread: Texture Gaps in Models

Texture Gaps in Models

Another topic another tricky issue. Is the presence of gaps like a split at different points from the internal view of a model a result of the model design or is it an outcome of the way textures are applied or mapped to the model. Either way is there any way to correct this.

Example - model has internal model, good, but there is a gap around the windows from the inside looking out at different views particularly panning in and out. Same problem for all fuselage windows. Seems to occur at all bulkhead points in the model.

SOH-CM-2023
    Sounds as if the vertices have not been connected or aligned correctly in the Gmax (or FSDS) stage of development.

Yes, sounds like actual gaps in the model. Done it myself, too!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Bugger, that was my initial assessment as well. The original builder/designer is no longer contactable not sure if the model can be fixed something to explore I guess. Any one recommend a program that would enable you to open up the mdl file and then see the model and repair it? I have not been able to get GMAX to fire off my SDK and FSX disks for some reason, time to explore that again too I guess.

'Fraid not, a compiled model doesn't re-open for editing, you really need the source files. It is possible to get at it with ModelConverterX but it's a heap of work to get it back into FS afterwards.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Well thanks for the advice confirms what I thought as well, you never know I found a nifty FS98 air file editor program that works a treat with FSX. Anyway seems like the end of the road for this bird. It is a shame because the overall model quality is not bad but I have done a lot of repairs to cfg and air files which gave me the impression it was all a bit rushed for some reason. Now I have got it working I thought I might tidy it up, I will see what I can do with textures etc (again a steep learning curve) because this aircraft which is the Handley Page HP 42 I find intriguing as only 9 were ever built and apart from one accident (well the aircraft disappeared over the Gulf of Oman) it really was quite remarkable and the remaining survivors were pressed into RAF service at the outbreak of WW2. I have found a WW2 paint and model but I think it is a FS9 converted into a CFS2 model and not sure if this can be rebirthed into FSX, probably not.

It is pleasant to fly in the sim and has automatic slats which deploy at 60 mph and it lands at 50 mph, so it is really amazing to consider that your doodling along in what was 20 tons of biplane at 60 mph. Then again it never went faster that about 100 in the cruise - its replacement the Empire Class flying boat seems like the Starship Enterprise by comparison.

Thanks for the advice and help I will persevere with it for a while yet see if a good repaint and interior clean up makes it better, its not bad but annoying some times.

SOH-CM-2023
    That particular model is very old IIRC. The HP42 though had a nickname of 'having built in headwinds', hence the speed -or lack of!

Members who have read this thread: 0