Aeroplane Heaven – Javelin Gloster FAW9 preview - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aeroplane Heaven – Javelin Gloster FAW9 preview

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Perhaps this is what you're looking for.

https://www.justflight.com/product/j...ernaehrung004:
    ERROR 404!!!

As for the "development" forum on this aircraft at Just Flight......YAWN its old! There has not been an update on this in ages.

Just sitting back and waiting very patiently.....

This is the correct link - https://www.justflight.com/product/javelin-faw-8-9

The focus is currently on the VC10 so the Javelin is taking a bit of a backseat. Any news on its progress will be available on our website, social media and in our newsletter/in-dev email.

Thanks
    Martyn
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    This is the correct link - https://www.justflight.com/product/javelin-faw-8-9

The focus is currently on the VC10 so the Javelin is taking a bit of a backseat. Any news on its progress will be available on our website, social media and in our newsletter/in-dev email.

Thanks
    Martyn
    Looks like it's been dropped altogether as it's no longer on the JF "In Development" page.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Disappointing, but not the first time, they had a 787 in there 'in development' just that was dropped not that long ago.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

It hasn't been dropped. Just Flight are no longer controlling development. At AH, we have some other priorities which have put the Javelin back. That is all.

Javelin comes back.

Pictures from FB of AH.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

That's great news. I was worried this project had been put to the bottom of the queue in favour of the inexplicable trend towards airliners!
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

EXCELLENT!!!

I hope AH do a T.11 Vampire and/or a Sea Vixen to go along with the RAF Jets of the Cold War?

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Says p3d v4. 4+ only..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I love your texturing. Ladder, panel just excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Says p3d v4. 4+ only..
    Saw that. Is it referring to the images or final release??
    -- WH

Yes! I had also thought this beast had been forgotten. Looking forward to this one and loving the PBR on it.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Saw that. Is it referring to the images or final release??
    Final release.

To all.

The screenshots are running at real time so if you're a gamer thats what you see if you're playing the latest farcry or assassins creed or forza etc. It's not a render. We like renders but some people get a little confused thinking that a render is a screenshot from the sim ( despite saying it isnt but then ... reading ) .

This way you fellas
    a. Get to see it closer to the real thing that you can run
    b. get to see a little behind the scenes

That last one is a little controversial. A LOT of people dont like to see WIP or behind the scenes and they are very forward in coming out and saying so. I happen to think a little behind the scenes is interesting. We'll be doing a little more of that sort of thing in the future on a few unannounced projects in the pipeline. So be warned if you dont like new content/behind the scenes get your pitchforks ready

Also should this thread get moved to the p3d forum ? I mean it is no longer being developed for FSX. I think the original poster needs to ask.
    Last edited by pilto von pilto; April 18th, 2019 at 17:40. Reason: I removed a T that made it look like I was talking about female anatomy. Fat fingers FTW

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm interested in any WIP as long as its for FSX. I'm not ready for P3D as yet.

It's always good to learn what is going on and what stage a product has reached, along with any issues, etc.

Perhaps the moderators can close out this thread and someone can start a new one in the P3D forum??
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm interested in any WIP as long as its for FSX. I'm not ready for P3D as yet.

It's always good to learn what is going on and what stage a product has reached, along with any issues, etc.

Perhaps the moderators can close out this thread and someone can start a new one in the P3D forum??
    Agree

Thefrog :

Saw your post today but not yesterday. P'raps it was me rather than the internet.
    You bring up a good point.

The issue is that the community drives the payware developers choices. GA/tubeliner fans are where the money is. They also tend to be running p3d. Therefore most pay - and some free - developers are going to take a look at that statistic and say " hey we need to court the GA/tubeliner crowd ". But there is a silver lining. With payware devs leaving the warbird development cycle ( not us we still need to make warbirds just not as many ) I see the rise of freeware authors. Sure you might not get the <insert plane here > but you will see newer / or upgraded developments of old favourites. The time line might be longer. The project might not get fully finished but I do see the freeware authors filling the hole.

I had a longer post made but got logged out before I could submit and it was lost to the internet. But basically it boils down to this - the community doesnt want warbirds any more.

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    Agree

Thefrog :

Saw your post today but not yesterday. P'raps it was me rather than the internet.
    You bring up a good point.

The issue is that the community drives the payware developers choices. GA/tubeliner fans are where the money is. They also tend to be running p3d. Therefore most pay - and some free - developers are going to take a look at that statistic and say " hey we need to court the GA/tubeliner crowd ". But there is a silver lining. With payware devs leaving the warbird development cycle ( not us we still need to make warbirds just not as many ) I see the rise of freeware authors. Sure you might not get the <insert plane here > but you will see newer / or upgraded developments of old favourites. The time line might be longer. The project might not get fully finished but I do see the freeware authors filling the hole.

I had a longer post made but got logged out before I could submit and it was lost to the internet. But basically it boils down to this - the community doesnt want warbirds any more.
    I would love the see the data that supports that statement. Many have been waiting on a B-25 for a long time. But we get... a NAZI bomber. Who wanted that? Some German guy hiding in Argentina I guess. LOL

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

I would think a large amount of the German population of this forum would be significantly offended by your comment. Putting a LOL behind it does not excuse it in any way either. The Heinkel is no more a "NAZI" bomber than the ME109 is a "NAZI" fighter. Just how vocal have you been, exactly, on that subject?

Whether you like or agree with it or not, the market for warbirds is in decline. Especially in FSX.

You already have two, more than capable developers working on the B-25.

I would earnestly suggest that this thread be transferred to the P3DV4 forum, hopefully we can then avoid any more senseless comments like the last.

I have to say I'm quite enjoying the He-111. In fact, I would like a Ju-88 to go along with it, since I consider the Ju-88 one of the most under represented WW2 bombers in flightsim. Hopefully John will stop by soon and give us an update on his B-25. Not just because it's a B-25, but because the P-39 comes after.

And to stay on topic, I'm still really looking forward to this Javelin.

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    The issue is that the community drives the payware developers choices. GA/tubeliner fans are where the money is. They also tend to be running p3d. Therefore most pay - and some free - developers are going to take a look at that statistic and say " hey we need to court the GA/tubeliner crowd ".
    I have no idea what the P3D stats look like, but a look at the latest Steam info for FSX shows that developers are missing out on a huge number of potential customers: https://steamdb.info/app/314160/graphs/ - an average of well over 2000 players per day! Surprisingly, the user trend in the last few years seems to have been generally up (or, more recently, steady) rather than down as many in the P3D world predicted. I would hazard a guess that there are probably more warbird flyers in FSX so the AH decision to develop the Javelin solely for P3D looks even more odd.

It may well seem odd to you but if you don't develop for a living then all the statistics in the world are of no import. The plain fact is that we see a downturn in warbird sales and especially in FSX. To develop a project for two simulators, especially with the demand for PBR is both costly in time and resources. If others can afford to continue to do it then good for them, we can't. You will notice a swing away from FSX and a change in subject matter among a number of key developers in this business. If that does not provide any clues then you obviously have to draw your own conclusions.

We have long been keen supporters of FSX and will continue to support it where appropriate. We also have a business and a reputation built around warbirds. We do not make decisions like this one, lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    You will notice a swing away from FSX and a change in subject matter among a number of key developers in this business. If that does not provide any clues then you obviously have to draw your own conclusions.

We have long been keen supporters of FSX and will continue to support it where appropriate. We also have a business and a reputation built around warbirds. We do not make decisions like this one, lightly.
    My comments weren't meant to be a criticism of your company - I can fully appreciate the desire to only have to develop for a 64bit sim rather than both. The post I originally quoted was talking about going "where the money is" rather than the practicalities of making two different versions of each aircraft. From an outsider's point of view, if it's just down to the money, then the customer base still seems to be there for FSX. A number of developers have justified not producing for FSX because of their perception that the number of users is dwindling and everyone is going to P3D. This appears not to be the case if you look at the Steam stats. Remember also that those stats only include users of the Steam Edition and not those (probably many more) who still use the Boxed Edition. A business decision to develop exclusively for P3D based on development effort and time expended seems perfectly reasonable. However, one based solely on potential profit ("where the money is") seems flawed when you consider the apparent continuing popularity of FSX. That said, I wish you luck with your future projects.

I would think a large amount of the German population of this forum would be significantly offended by your comment. Putting a LOL behind it does not excuse it in any way either. The Heinkel is no more a "NAZI" bomber than the ME109 is a "NAZI" fighter. Just how vocal have you been, exactly, on that subject?

Whether you like or agree with it or not, the market for warbirds is in decline. Especially in FSX.

You already have two, more than capable developers working on the B-25.

I would earnestly suggest that this thread be transferred to the P3DV4 forum, hopefully we can then avoid any more senseless comments like the last.

My point was that the poster said warbirds are in decline, yet they saw fit to introduce a German NAZI WWII bomber which contradicts the statement. No LOL from me on that point.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Obviously my points have not been understood. We are not withdrawing for FSX, we are not ceasing making warbirds. If you follow our Facebook page for example, you will see posts for new Spitfires and Hurricanes, the Javelin and more.

Again, as developers in the field with a business plan, we see a downturn in FSX sales, especially warbirds, and a marked increase in P3D. The "stats" on Heinkel would suggest a 3 to 1 ratio in favour of P3D. This indicates to us a significant market interest in PBR and what it can bring to models, especially warbirds. From a financial point of view, that is all we are interested in. Statistics can be manipulated. Sales results can't.

We are not withdrawing for FSX, we are not ceasing making warbirds. If you follow our Facebook page for example, you will see posts for new Spitfires and Hurricanes, the Javelin and more.
    My apologies. From earlier posts I had the impression that the Javelin was going to be exclusively for P3D.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    My apologies. From earlier posts I had the impression that the Javelin was going to be exclusively for P3D.
    Except you are right the Javelin is a P3d exclusive. Hence why we are asking it to be moved.

Baz wrote
    Obviously my points have not been understood. We are not withdrawing for FSX, we are not ceasing making warbirds. If you follow our Facebook page for example, you will see posts for new Spitfires and Hurricanes, the Javelin and more.

Again, as developers in the field with a business plan, we see a downturn in FSX sales, especially warbirds, and a marked increase in P3D. The "stats" on Heinkel would suggest a 3 to 1 ratio in favour of P3D. This indicates to us a significant market interest in PBR and what it can bring to models, especially warbirds. From a financial point of view, that is all we are interested in. Statistics can be manipulated. Sales results can't.
    In response to DVJ :

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    My point was that the poster said warbirds are in decline, yet they saw fit to introduce a German NAZI WWII bomber which contradicts the statement. No LOL from me on that point.

Taking baz's response :
    1. Baz's response was regarding warbirds. The Javelin is p3d exclusive. His response was not about fsx/p3d exclusivity it was about warbird decline. The comma between " We are not withdrawing for FSX, " and " we are not ceasing making warbirds. " denotes 2 separate topics. The second half paragraph was indeed about the fsx/p3d question but I am sure it was not indicating that the content of the second paragraph have a bearing on the content of the first.

So you are right the Javelin is p3d exclusive. We are seeing more P3d users buying our products than FSx users. The time to make an FSX version ( code /materials/functionality ) is greater than the return. Sorry but usage rates of simulators doesn't equate to purchase rates.

DVJ:
    Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    In regards to the heinkel you dont, nor would we expect you to have , any knowledge of what we are working on or in fact how long the heinkel was in planning for. Not sure what your point actually is?

To all :

1. We are asking the admin to move ( as it still is in development - and yes DVJ it is a warbird ) this thread to P3d. I still think the OP needs to ask. If not can someone message the admin please? I cant seem to do it there's a permissions thing.

2. The Javelin is a p3d exclusive

3. We are seeing a decline in warbird sales. No I dont want to give DVJ or anyone else my bank accounts/sales data... I am not in the running for president of the US . But we arent cutting our nose off to spite our face. The warbird community is not buying warbirds. The GA/tubeliner crowd are not buying warbirds.

4. The warbird FS community gravitates to this forum and therefore if you were to base your views on the state of the hobby on this forum alone then you would have a very skewed view point. Case in point look at r/flightsim... not a single warbird and rarely even small GA. It's tubeliners or nothing. Hop onto avsim and it's GA. Look at FSelite mainly ga with sprinkling of tubeliners.

Now luckily I've managed to finally compile Gzdoom on my laptop and it's a nice day outside despite the forecast , so thinking... brutal-doom + beer + sun = spectacular day.

Members who have read this thread: 2