The Great Southern Land
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Great Southern Land

The Great Southern Land

An unnamed "corporate" entity from the USA has sponsored a Flight 19 tour of Tasmania and Australia.

Parked at Hobart International Airport checking out an eager Cessna 337 off a fresh annual.

I'm usually not much on linking to youtubes, but this somehow seemed appropriate

Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

CDM, reporting for duty.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-sep-10-001.jpg  

A few pics from tonight's flight out of Hobart to Queenstown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-sep-10-002.jpg   Flt 19-2016-sep-10-003.jpg   Flt 19-2016-sep-10-004.jpg  

We flew on to Launceston (YMLT) via YWYY on the coast. Did some cruising along the coast, checked out the sights, then turned inland and followed a river to Launceston. Great flight!

Pics are in backwards order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-sep-11-010.jpg   Flt 19-2016-sep-11-004.jpg   Flt 19-2016-sep-11-003.jpg   Flt 19-2016-sep-11-002.jpg  

Hello all,

Rgr. it was a nice and fun flight as noted by Willy. The Staggerwing that I started to fly all the electrical components just didn't work correct. As usual, Dudley came to the rescue with a Cessna 337 a nice flyer. Here are three pictures that Dudley took as I was learning to fly the 337

Tasmania has been a warship spotting zone for me. Last night it was a Japanese carrier (I think probably Shinano). My first attempt to land ended badly as I rolled off the side of the deck as I wasn't properly lined up. Then to add salt to the wound, the ship ran over the CDM in the water. 2nd try was much better as I got a good landing on the deck, but with no hook, I had no way to stop so I kept my speed up and went full throttle just before I ran out of deck. At that point I realized I needed to catch back up to the group, but now I know where to look for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-sep-13-001.jpg   Flt 19-2016-sep-13-002.jpg   Flt 19-2016-sep-13-003.jpg   Flt 19-2016-sep-13-004.jpg  

Only got one pic from last night's flight to Phillip Island just off the Australian mainland. Nice overwater flight and I flew it at about 600ft through the islands in our flight path.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-sep-14-005.jpg  

We made it to Mount Hotham (YHOT) today. It is the highest known airport on the continent at 4260'.

Hi All, got a late start do to some serious engine problems, got them fix and now in a hurry to catch up with the rest of Flight 19. Had some shabby weather on the first part of the flight and then it cleared up just before I started down, hehe, if I have to say myself, I made a nice landing. After we touch down Old Dudley open his eyes. No fate that fellow. hehe.

We pressed on to Albury NSW. Once visited in 1934 by the DC-2 Uiver during the Macrobertson Race after getting lost in a thunderstorm. (Fitting that we landed in a rain storm).

"Rain, Rain go away and come back some other day" Yep, we have our share of rain on this trip, but at least I got the plane clean from all the dirt and grim. hehe.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Unfortunately you will get a lot more rain before you are finished. At present we are experiencing late winter rain events. South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales have been hammered with flooding and loss of life. And more is forecast for this week

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Hate to hear about the loss of life Pat.

Had to unload the O-2 as the local authorities didn't like the idea of someone flying about with rockets and mini guns and it took a few days to get out of their clutches. Got a good trade in deal on a cream puff "civvie" CDM though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-sep-19-007.jpg  

Spotted these over Camden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-sep-22-004.jpg  

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    You'll also find some around Cessnock (YCNK).

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

On the way to Narrowmine.

Hi everybody,

Hehe, long time no see! But been busy, but the truth is I keep forgetting to take pictures of our flights. On one flight we had some great conversation concerning the land of OZ from MM who had spent some enjoyable time there. Heck, I thought most of Australia was desert for the most part. Sure is some pretty and mountainous country there. Well, that is what these flight are for to learn about different places.

Narromine huh? Hmm. Got hold of my contacts at Milton Shupe Industries, and he put me in touch with a guy who knew a guy who wanted to sell a slightly used Aero 560. Picked it up at Amberley Field and flew it down to Norromine. (title=AC560vc Factory N2649B)
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Darn, Aero Commanders just popping up all over the place. What's a CDM driver to do?

I figured Jim needed an Aero Commander wingman!
    HP Reverb G2

shucks I need all the help I can get. lol

Went to start up the CDM and the flux capacitor blew. Fired out the electrical system, blew out the tires, peeled the paint off, I've no idea where the front prop landed. So it's in the shop and I picked up this for a buck $2.98 Aussie dollars. The guy says it flies. I guess we'll see. Anybody got a set of jumper cables?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-sep-24-001.jpg  

We flew from Narromine to the town of Moree. The notable land mark along the way was the Castlereagh Highway, which follows the river of the same name. I think the hills on the horizon in the first kodak are where Woorat Mountain is, atop which sits the Siding Spring Observatory is, the largest in Australia. Dang, we should have checked that out... Milton's Aeros were in abundance during this flight!
    HP Reverb G2

Hey there! Wow! no rain on this flight really got to see some of the local scenery for a change. just a couple of pictures before take off and after landing at Ymor.

Members who have read this thread: 0