This guy writes articles for flightsim.com I like it!

Thread: This guy writes articles for flightsim.com I like it!

Blog Entries

This guy writes articles for flightsim.com I like it!

Spindrift
    12 products in account
    1 review

Recommended
    3.8 hrs on record
    POSTED: MAY 24
    I'm deeply shocked by how rough the FS community is man-handling this innocent $15 game.

I'm a 15+ year FS veteran, FS9, FSX, P3D, the latest, the greatest, addons, OC'd PCs and tweaked configs til the cows come home, I've done it all. But even coming from that background, spending an average of $250-1000 annually for addons, accersories and peripherals, watching an waiting with bated breath for over a decade for a true successor to pick up the mantle of flagship Flight Simulators... yet EVEN I CAN FIND SOMETHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT DTG Flight School.

I have to congratulate the hard working developers for picking up the torch and running the brutal gauntlet that the flight simming community has become, to take the abuse --undeserved-- of a selfish, entitled, over-critical and under-helpful society of miserly, withering, "armchair pilot" wannabes with nothing better to do than COMPLAIN.

Is this today, as of this moment, the next best simulation platform? Is it FSeleven? FS2016? No. Of course not. It was never meant to be. IT'S ONLY $15 FOR HEAVENS SAKE! Have the whiners SEEN the prices of FS addons this last DECADE?

But does DTG Flight School show potential...? OH MY, YES. YES INDEED.

I just spent my first total hour of flight time, the first few training missions, a few Alaskan Bush pilot missions and a few touch n' gos around my local real life airport... I HAD A BLAST. In fact I was surprised to find it performing almost just as smoothly "out-the-box" as my heavily tweaked FSX and P3Dv3 except with a slightly BETTER framerate! The amazing effect of the new lighting system (needs some adjustment, perhaps, but attractive) combined with Orbx scenery and higher, smoother framerate equals immersion, sweet immersion... Toss in the simple goal of racking up Flight hours that equate to real achivements and earning licenses, and now, all your flights matter, now getting back on the ground safely means something, now you care.

Dovetail Games still have lots of work to do until they release their full blown DTG Flight Simulator, that's a given, but shame on every pouncy, 2 sentence reviewer who bails at the first glimpse of their unrealistic over-expectations dashed in disappointment, ending with, "save your money, refund requested".

Let them leave, they'll never know what their missing!

I'm not crazy over their support but they are busy trying to get a full-fledged new flight simulator out before the end of the year! However I have found more good than bad about this $15.00 game. Where else could you spend $15.00 and get a fair-to-midlin' flight training program?
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I pre-ordered Flight School, and have been very disappointed. Yes it has been improved since the initial release, but it is still nowhere near as good as other, older sims. The graphics are still only adequate, with far too small a radius of detail, and I have been unable to change key settings to suit my preferences. I have given it the benefit of the doubt for long enough, I think, and have come to regard my outlay as a lesson learned rather than, as I hoped, an investment in a company proposing to market a full sim later on. I will not be a guinea pig again, and I doubt if I am the only one.

But does DTG Flight School show potential...? OH MY, YES. YES INDEED
    Possibly - but when will it be realised?

Have the whiners SEEN the prices of FS addons this last DECADE?
    Flight School doesn't even HAVE any addons.

Where else could you spend $15.00 and get a fair-to-midlin' flight training program?
    Well, since you ask, FS2004 and FSX both include lessons.

IT'S ONLY $15 FOR HEAVENS SAKE!
    It doesn't matter whether you charge $5, $15 or $50 - a turkey is still a turkey.

Let them leave, they'll never know what their missing!
    Thanks - and I know exactly what I am missing.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Members who have read this thread: 0