Bristol Hercules sound?

Thread: Bristol Hercules sound?

Bristol Hercules sound?

I'm revisitng the great Beaufighter by Dave Garwood and making a few additional paints. Working on a No 27 Sqn paint as it looked flying over Burma in 1943.

Do any have any recomondations for a bit more vivid sound for the Bristol Hercules 14-cylinder two-row radial engine? It was maybe the most important British radial engine of the war, but not sure if we have any dedicated sound sets for it. It used sleeve valves which lacked the noisy valve gear common to poppet valve engines, so probably not as load as the american radials.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Hi JensOle,
    there is a file available here in the library: Beaufighter_Sound.zip by Lawdog2360.
    I suppose these are the same sounds Dave Garwood used with his Beaufighter... Hope it helps though!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Yep lawdogs sounds were the ones included with my Beaufighter.

Jens, there are also a number of older aircraft sim types (MS2004) that Hercules engines. I have never had any sound issues borrowing these sound files to add to aircraft that so required them (not many by the ways).

Not sure if you are aware but the Beaufighter was nicknamed 'Whispering Death' by the Japanese during WWII (they were mostly Aussie units using them) on account of they were actually pretty quiet and they could not hear them coming until they arrived.

I have saved three different Hercules engines sound packs:

1)Gary Jones's 4 engine Hercules sound pack as used in the JBK Hastings and Hermes models (ca65f25dBris_Herc_4-eng_Snds.zip),
    2) An upgrade to a FS98 sound pack by Hauzenberger and Harry Follas, (bristol_hercules_engines_brshcug.zip), and
    3) Nigel Richards Hercules Sound Pack (As fitted to the Solents/Sandringhams again a JBK model, (fs2004realbristolherculessoundpack.zip).

Not sure which is best they all seem ok to me!
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; August 15th, 2016 at 02:41. Reason: Additonal information

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    I'm revisitng the great Beaufighter by Dave Garwood and making a few additional paints. Working on a No 27 Sqn paint as it looked flying over Burma in 1943.
    Certainly looking forward to this repaint.
    Norwich, a fine city.

Members who have read this thread: 2