MiG-21MF Upgrade Phase II ready!
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MiG-21MF Upgrade Phase II ready!

MiG-21MF Upgrade Phase II ready!

Hi fellow simmers,

I see from changing the dates on the README that it's been almost four months since the last post about the MiG-21. Today brings a major update.

This is phase II of the systems and weapons upgrade for Ivan Jurcaga's MiG-21MF model. Ivan and I have been in touch and he has graciously provided me with his model source files and his blessing for continuing this project. Access to the source has helped quite a bit. Thanks, Ivan!

This release is a beta, and it provides the following major new things:

- Full Tacpack implementation - air and ground weapons, plus countermeasures, all realistic to the MiG-21MF.
    - Improved Captain Sim weapons implementation over the last version.
    - Configuration of weapons and fuel greatly improved, fuel automatically loaded when tanks are placed. Removed when they are jettisoned.
    - Many bugs fixed and improved sounds and systems details. Too many to list.
    - A full new Quick Start Guide, easy to read with many illustrations, tells you all you need to know to fly and fight effectively with the MiG-21!

If you've been holding back from trying this because of the learning curve, the new Guide will make it easy and fun.

With Tacpack implemented, you can battle multiplayer against the mighty Milviz Phantom II or the F-100D in a historically accurate way!

Here's a link to the download: http://fscaptain.net/downloads/MIG21MFN_Beta_160812.zip

If you want more reason to try it out, here's a movie of a demonstration flight with a typical drone intercept and shootdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qur8eFFKdrk

Thanks for trying and testing this package. I will be working on it as time allows, but for the next couple of months commercial work will be intense. Please report any problems and I'll do my best to fix them. Eventually, it's on to Phase III, and I intend to make some model changes to more realistically implement the weapons controls. As time allows.

Dutch

Thanks for the update Dutch

Cheers,
    Huub

I just did a mission with the MiG-21 using FSX@WAR, which is awesome when coupled with Tacpack.

I was flying for the rebels against Libya, striking the Algharby terrorist base. Given the limited range of the 21 it took two stages: a pre-dawn hop from Benghazi across the gulf to the Ras Lanuf oil airport for refueling. Then with all drop tanks full and a load of rockets, swung way south over the open desert to avoid Libyan SAM sites near Sirte. Hit the camp right at dawn, making two rocket passes and one strafing, leaving lots of burning tents and vehicles behind. Bad day for the bad guys! Flew back the same route, refueling again at the same place, then landing back home.

I'm going to do this again but make a video. Very interesting mission, all told about 2 1/2 hours of real time spent. Fuel management and timing were crucial.

I'm really loving FSX@war...lots of potential there.

Dutch

Thx Dutch! Does it work in P3Dv3 also? Did You test it?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ceo1944 View Post
    I just did a mission with the MiG-21 using FSX@WAR, which is awesome when coupled with Tacpack.

I was flying for the rebels against Libya, striking the Algharby terrorist base.
    Dutch
    But how do you position those who are terrorists or those who are not? The rebels were backed by The US and their allies in an attempt to diminish terrorist Ghadafi, and now the rebels are labeled as terrorists as they are opposite the status quo. Perhaps, one man's terrorist is an anothet man's freedom fighter. Perhaps, the term terrorist itself is not suitable for Eastern worldview. Perhaps, merriem webster and oxford will revise after trump's social darwinism win the election.

Terrorism is relative to worldview, ideology, and failure to understand the other civilization's defensive mechanism from western unctical intolerance towards the East.

I dunno man. This is the first time I see the word terrorist in SOH.

Btw, thanks for the MiG.
    Intel i5-2500K - Zotac GTX 750 Ti - 4GB G-Skills - Gigabyte B75M - Simbada 500 W PSU - 17' LED

Im truly sorry. Its so hard to find places in the net with no such tendency and all the craziness out there. Please ban me if that does good for everyone. Sorry Dutch. Sorry peeps.
    Intel i5-2500K - Zotac GTX 750 Ti - 4GB G-Skills - Gigabyte B75M - Simbada 500 W PSU - 17' LED

"unctical" is that supposed to be a word?
    Sue

for the MiG...
    My Military Flight Videos :

Thanks for this, but I have a couple of issues.
    I can't get the radar to power up, or any weapons to fire except the gun. Followed the quick start guide & the YouTube video. Pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly, but no go.
    The weapon switches are set correctly, and weapons loaded using the in-cockpit controls. No status lights are showing on the center panel.
    Using P3d v3.3.5 with TacPack.

Additional: Fuel is not removed when removing external tanks. No station weights added when loading weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Thx Dutch! Does it work in P3Dv3 also? Did You test it?
    Yes, I have P3D3 and it's been tested in that environment. SHould work fine, but let me know if there are any problems.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    Thanks for this, but I have a couple of issues.
    I can't get the radar to power up, or any weapons to fire except the gun. Followed the quick start guide & the YouTube video. Pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly, but no go.
    The weapon switches are set correctly, and weapons loaded using the in-cockpit controls. No status lights are showing on the center panel.
    Using P3d v3.3.5 with TacPack.

Additional: Fuel is not removed when removing external tanks. No station weights added when loading weapons.
    What's happening here is that the Radar gauge is not loading or not executing. It not only powers the radar but provides some services like fuel loading and payload setting to let Tacpack know what's loaded on what platform.

98% of the time that's some kind of security issue with Windows blocking the loading of the DLL.

Here's how to find out. Locate the gauge, it's in SimObjects\Airplanes\MiG-21MFN\panel\RP22SM.gau

Right click on it, select "Properties" from the popup menu, select the "Security" tab, then click the "Advanced" button, and post what it shows.

You can also change the permissions yourself to allow it to run if you are running as an Administrator. Click on "Change Permissions". if you see a line in the list that says "Allow Everyone" select that line and click on "Edit", if you don't see that, click on "Add". Then click the check on under "Allow" on the Full Control line and click Ok. Odds are that the MiG-21 will work properly if you do this.

If you are running P3D3 as Administrator security should not be an issue.

Hope this helps.
    Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Peg o my heart View Post
    But how do you position those who are terrorists or those who are not? The rebels were backed by The US and their allies in an attempt to diminish terrorist Ghadafi, and now the rebels are labeled as terrorists as they are opposite the status quo. Perhaps, one man's terrorist is an anothet man's freedom fighter. Perhaps, the term terrorist itself is not suitable for Eastern worldview. Perhaps, merriem webster and oxford will revise after trump's social darwinism win the election.

Terrorism is relative to worldview, ideology, and failure to understand the other civilization's defensive mechanism from western unctical intolerance towards the East.

I dunno man. This is the first time I see the word terrorist in SOH.

Btw, thanks for the MiG.
    I apologize if I inadvertently offended anyone. I used that term because that's the label that the game placed on my target. Not a political judgement at all.

Any time we choose to play a simulation of a conflict I think it's important to remember it's not reality, just a simulation. For entertainment and learning purposes.

Dutch

Hi Dutch,

still no joy, I'm afraid. I always run P3d as admin anyway, I'm also logged in as an admin. Tried with AntiVirus turned off, although it's set not to scan the P3d folders anyway. Checked permissions for the gauge as shown:

Tried disabling every thing in the dll.xml just in case there was a conflict, but no luck.

Wondering if could be a Windows 10 problem?

Someone knows if there are some paints suitable for this jet?
    The more you do, the less you dream

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Yes, there are. Even here in the library.
    Thank you. l'll check
    The more you do, the less you dream

It doesn't sound like a security problem, if you are running P3D as Administrator that should make all those problems go away. And you're running outside the dreaded Program Files folder too which is good.

I have one more thing to try. This was compiled with VS2013. Try installing the Visual Studio 2013 runtimes and see if that works. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=40784

I will download and copy the result into my P3D and see if it works. Maybe something is screwy in the file. Otherwise, I'm baffled as to why it isn't working. I have Win 7 BTW, never installed 10.

Dutch

Hi Dutch,

still no joy, I'm afraid. I always run P3d as admin anyway, I'm also logged in as an admin. Tried with AntiVirus turned off, although it's set not to scan the P3d folders anyway. Checked permissions for the gauge as shown:

Tried disabling every thing in the dll.xml just in case there was a conflict, but no luck.

Wondering if could be a Windows 10 problem?

Hi Dutch,

tried the VS2013 runtimes. They were installed already, but I did a repair anyway. Still no good I'm afraid. I may have to put FSX back on & see if it works there.

Hi Dutch,

tried the VS2013 runtimes. They were installed already, but I did a repair anyway. Still no good I'm afraid. I may have to put FSX back on & see if it works there.
    Dave, or anyone having this problem, I have an updated Beta available that may solve the problem: http://fscaptain.net/downloads/MIG21MFN_Beta_160815.zip

Delete the whole MiG-21MFN folder and replace it with the new one. There are a few other fixes and changes rolled into there too.

Also, very interested to see if it works on FSX for you.

I have P3D v3.3.5.17625 and just tested this new beta and it works. So did the old one...but this radar is compiled under VS2008.

Dutch

Mig-21MF VPAF texture search

I haven't been able to find any yet, but does anyone know if there are any VPAF textures available for this version?

The only VPAF Mig-21 texture I've been able to find so far is one that was done by Xavier Carré for Ivan Jurcaga's Mig-21 F-13 ( http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/fi...21_repaint.zip ). It's for FS2004......and it seems to work OK in FSX, but unfortunately, it's not Tacpacked.

Dave, or anyone having this problem, I have an updated Beta available that may solve the problem: http://fscaptain.net/downloads/MIG21MFN_Beta_160815.zip
    With this one, weapons work fine !

But : unless I'm doing something wrong,like engaging autopilot or something, ailerons don't work properly now... (FSX).

BTW : Maybe you could consider two versions :
    - One for Vietnam Era with AIM-9Bs (flares +-)
    - and one for Libya theater (vs Tomcats or F-18s), that's the current one.
    My Military Flight Videos :

Thanks Dutch. This is great. Flies beautifully... more forgiving than I thought it would be. By way of feedback a quick start option would be great for those times you don't have time to work through the start up procedure (thank you for documenting that so well BTW) and in my FSX SE setup with Steve's DX10 fixer, I don't find canopy glass shows up very much... will experiment with some texture changes when I get a chance.

Matt

Great news that it works!

The aileron problem...be sure you switched on the aileron power boost switch after startup.

It would be more authentic to equip the aim-9b to emulate the R-3S atoll for Vietnam. No more complex than changing the M to a B in tacpack.ini .

Quote Originally Posted by xpelekis View Post
    With this one, weapons work fine !

But : unless I'm doing something wrong,like engaging autopilot or something, ailerons don't work properly now... (FSX).

BTW : Maybe you could consider two versions :
    - One for Vietnam Era with AIM-9Bs (flares +-)
    - and one for Libya theater (vs Tomcats or F-18s), that's the current one.

Members who have read this thread: 2