A warning for W10 user
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A warning for W10 user

A warning for W10 user

Be careful with the Anniversary Update.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/310...ate-grows.html

Mike

My Life Saver with WIN 7 is the System Restore, Just yesterday Had a crash Power Outage ,Lightning Storm..When got it back??And for reasons not Known my FSXSE was gone? Along with other stuff Totally lost ..a Quick System restore?...Got it back....A Very Important tool will not give it up.... just my experience...No WIN 10 for me! Thnx

I've just installed the 'update' on three machines - one after the other. It's taken me most of the day.

The good news? FSXA and P3Dv2.5 both work as they did. No issues.
    Kaspersky does get messed up, though. The registration key info on one machine got lost and had to be re-entered. One other had to have a new Kaspersky install.

All privacy and security settings are reset to the M$-preferred values - so you'll have to go through them all again.

This is supposed to be a staged roll-out, but you can force the process by going here and starting the update yourself.
    You won't be able to get out of it if you have Win10 already.

Dave

Did the update in here ... everything working ok so far
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Well I am not on wireless, and until there's a fix available, I am not booting up Win 10. I still have Win 7 on another hard drive, but no longer have FSX on it. For now, I will wait to see what happens. Thank for the heads up. NC

From Woodys site:

"With the update rolling out slowly, there’s a good chance it hasn’t yet tried to install itself on your machine. If that’s the case, you can proactively try to block the update for now. If you’re on a Wi-Fi connection, you can use the metered connection trick to keep the Anniversary Update off your machine. If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can bypass the forced update to Win10 Anniversary Update by clicking Start > Settings > Update & recovery > Advanced Options and check the box marked Defer upgrades. If you aren’t on Wi-Fi and only have Win10 Home, you’re forced into a considerably more complex blocking situation which involves using wushowhide to keep it off your machine"

There are ways to block W10 udates.
    Mike

I only have the Home edition of Win10, and don't understand all the crap I'd have to go through to stop the update. For now I am using my other hard drive with Win 7, and will stay connected with whats happening that way. Sucks. F&*%ing Microsoft.

NC

I have forced the update, it went well, I have reset all the options which was the first
    thing the update displayed.
    Sometimes it is better to go with the flow, I think, I'm not the British secret service and
    have nothing on my PC that isn't on millions of others, so I really don't care too much
    if Microsoft wants to share it with a few million more.
    Regards,
    Nick

The only issues I had was Magic Jack no longer uploading the contact list and a bunch of the system settings I had turned off turned back on. No biggie in either case.

If you're using Win10 Home and you use a Wi-Fi connection, you can 'defer' the update by setting your connection to "metered".
    To do this, go to Settings, Network & Internet, Wi-Fi. Click 'Advanced Options' and then 'Set As Metered Connection'.

If you're running Win10 Pro, you can use the 'defer upgrades' option under Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, 'Advanced Options'.

Dave

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flaviossa View Post
    Did the update in here ... everything working ok so far
    Flavio, I have been using W10 since the earliest Alpha releases, the same as I have done with Vista, W7, W8 and W8.1. During that time I have rebuilt my computer several times. Not because of any problems caused by these operating systems but the need to upgrade my system. You see I am what you call a "Windows Insider" who finds all the problems before you get them. There will always be people who hate Windows. They are the fearmongers of the computer world. Something akin to a politician who tries to further his cause by spreading fear. And yes, people do actually fall for it.

My advice to these people is to go find somewhere else to peddle your fearmongering.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Updated four machines. Zero problems. I did choose to go back in and turn System Restore back on.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    My advice to these people is to go find somewhere else to peddle your fearmongering.
    Not exactly fair when there are folks out there who have experienced real issues with W10

http://www.infoworld.com/article/310...ate-grows.html

I tried it, liked the OS on the whole but it for me it had real issues running FSXA & FSXSE. SE was like a slideshow. So I went back to W7 64.

A recent upgrade to W10 Pro left me with a machine which runs FSX-A quite happily. More to the point, I haven't found any of the old software I still use which won't run happily. WinZip, screenshot software, Gmax, 3dsMax, Photoshop, CFS3 and its developer tools: check, check and check again. The article linked above mutters about Cortana getting borked - wow. I'd really miss that.

Your mileage may vary: I'm happy. :-)
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Flavio, I have been using W10 since the earliest Alpha releases, the same as I have done with Vista, W7, W8 and W8.1. During that time I have rebuilt my computer several times. Not because of any problems caused by these operating systems but the need to upgrade my system. You see I am what you call a "Windows Insider" who finds all the problems before you get them. There will always be people who hate Windows. They are the fearmongers of the computer world. Something akin to a politician who tries to further his cause by spreading fear. And yes, people do actually fall for it.

I don't know what a "Windows Insider" is exactly (a beta tester???) but the issue I have with your statement is that it looks like your experience is only with your computer system. That's really not enough of a sample group to label the warnings here as "fear mongering".

I am an IT professional with 30+ years experience and when it comes to Microsoft operating systems....especially when they are fairly new... some hardware combinations just don't work very well with them. Couple this with an end user who is not computer savvy and it can be very disruptive to their life as well as expensive for them to get fixed.

Unlike home users, most corporate entities that use Windows based systems test software updates/service packs thoroughly to make sure that they won't get burned by them. Even then, sometimes one slips through the cracks and creates a problem. There is nothing so maddening as when you apply an update and it takes down a mission critical system that absolutely needs to be operational. I have been there, done that....which is why I am always leery of any new updates being pushed by Microsoft.

A Windows Insider is a "beta tester". Anyone can join the programme and let new MS developments loose on their system before they're made fully public.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Updated my Toshiba Satellite notebook, which is 4 years old, original Win 7 64bit machine. No problems, yet. Went smoother than the original up grade to Win 10. I did have the start menu problem, TWICE, on here, where the only fix that would work was a reload of Win 10. (returning to Win 7 wouldn't work.) Both reloads updated me to the next release of Win10, and had everything working properly again. Never lost any software, although I did have to reload one or two items to get them back in the registry. I do keep ALL my programs on a separate hard drive, as well as most on DVD disk. I DO always disconnect my external drives, used for FS storage, for all updates. My FS machine (in my sig) would not update to Win 10, (on the last day of free update,) until I disconnected ALL the extra INTERNAL drives. Turned out one of the HDD's was going bad, and for some reason the update kept wanting to boot to that disk, which wasn't even a bootable disk. It was also causing memory problems. Once I unplugged the internals, except C:/ drive, everything went smooth. These were all upgrades, not fresh install, (which was going to be my next attempt. I did NOT want to do that.) After the upgrade, I plugged everything back in, and that's how I found the bad disk. Everything else seems to be working fine, so far.

Your mileage may vary.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Both FSXA and P3Dv2 seem to be very happy under the new Win10.

Dave

I installed it on my laptop, no problems. Installed it on my Dad's Desktop PC, no problems. Installed it on my desktop that I gave to my Dad so he wouldn't have to upgrade and it corrupted Windows and the computer just asks for a bootable device. A quick repair fixes the problem, but that removes the update. Its a fresh install, had to replace the drives in it a few months back so I am guessing it has something to do with the way the Asus motherboard and windows handles the hard drives.. Maybe. My Dads old PC is a dual core intel job and my PC is an AMD 8350, who knows.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

3 desktops, 2 laptops in the family, no problems whatsoever...using only P3D v 3.5, just perfect and quite happy with the improvements...

Well, the Anniversary Update was "delivered" to my system this past Sunday. Other than having to go through the security settings, as Dhazelgrove had mentioned, I have had zero problems. Quite pleased. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Any notable performance increases with the update?

Could be my imagination, but it does seem to run a little faster..... NC

How to Get Windows 10 Anniversary Update

A guide from a Windows Guru Britec may be of use to some.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    A recent upgrade to W10 Pro left me with a machine which runs FSX-A quite happily. More to the point, I haven't found any of the old software I still use which won't run happily. WinZip, screenshot software, Gmax, 3dsMax, Photoshop, CFS3 and its developer tools: check, check and check again. The article linked above mutters about Cortana getting borked - wow. I'd really miss that.

Your mileage may vary: I'm happy. :-)
    Gmax is working fine on your W10....i don't believe! I have the material editor stuck. What is the cure?

JMC

Members who have read this thread: 0