.dlls and Win Defender and Campaign Play

Thread: .dlls and Win Defender and Campaign Play

SOH-CM-2020

.dlls and Win Defender and Campaign Play

After Grover1's post about .dlls I did a wee experiment.

I'm running Win 10, using the Ubisoft version of cfs3.exe for all my seven or eight installs, so it seems to run fine.

BUT I've been noticing that its been ages since I won a campaign. The latest campaign is 1944.xml from ETO 1.50. After invading Normandy in June 1944 as recently posted, the campaign bogged down with a month of fighting simply to get through Paris. Sadly I think Paris is now rubble...

However the main thing is that in the .cmpstat files created after every campaign mission, the Success Mod parameter is always negative. (these files can be read with notepad and record the current state of the campaign, including all the AI wingmen stats and frontline condition etc. the files are found under Username/Documents/CFS3 Install Name/Campaigns/etc).

So I've tried a wee experiment and turned Windows Defender off before flying a campaign mission.

WOW, what a difference! All sorts of new activity started to occur. It may be a coincidence because the mission coincided with one of those periods specified in the 1944.xml where new squadrons appear (around 1 September 1944?), but the frontline moved quite a bit and the SuccessMod parameter was not nearly so negative.

What is the point of this? Well for those using Win10 as their OS and Windows Defender as their anti-virus, it may be that they notice a difference by turning off Windows Defender before starting CFS3, particularly for campaign play.

Interesting. Hard to say if the two are connected from just the one instance, but it certainly isn't impossible. I wonder what would happen if you restarted the campaign?

I have cfs3.exe listed as an excluded process in Windows Defender.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020

Agreed

@ gecko - yes you are no doubt correct, I really need to test further to see if the effect is "real". As usual I never have enough time to sink in as I would like! this sort of testing needs a painstaking aproach to go beyond the merely anecdotal. I was just so excited to see some movement and perhaps a sign that I could win a campaign again - strange it has become so hard. A bit of a stretch to .dlls, but I have had growing suspicions for a while - still no proof.

@ Majormagee, I have used that approach for quite a while, have extended it to an extensive list of folders and files on the Windows Defender exclusion list. I still found what appears to be a difference (by turning Wind Def off), however its a bit premature for me to be able to verify it as yet.

Here's a scenario - say that during the course of running a campaign, cfs3.exe needs to be accessed repeatedly (we don't know entirely which parts of the game are run through the exe, and which parts through dlls), and that there is a tiny gap whilst Win Def consults its list and allows a process because it is on the list of exclusions. And suppose that .dlls are also running and being subject to enquiry by the antivirus before being allowed to run. Then perhaps all the cumulative effects of the interference is that process are either delayed or do not complete properly. This might only be noticeable under the latest versions of Windows OS and Windows Defender.

All just speculation at this point!

I did notice that after I had "upgraded" from Win 7 to Win 10 the CFS3 directories had all been reset to have the security permissions such that the User did could not write any files and that everything was read-only. I had to go through each of my 16 installs and change the security settings to Full access, and then turn off read-only.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0