Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Hi gman!

Please check Your compression of textures. I dont know what You do but Your one texture of external has.... 83 Mb (?!). My, from example here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1036392 has 4.00 Mb (with alpha channel also). It affects VAS and possibly OOM in the final. btw. some of textures of really nice (like for example texture.oldskin but this strange compression spoils effects of details). I use for example for this FSX SDK ImageTool and DXTbmp in the end.

Yeah...these are monsters, but an experiment. The original 2048 DXT5 skins are still available on this site.

The HD skins are 4096 32 bit, that's where the file size jumps up. I've been beta testing on my system and get 50 FPS and no OOM, but it's good to get some feedback. The "experimental" files are geared towards eventual 64 bit, but who knows if and when that will become reality. For the moment, I'm kind of testing the waters.

The loss of detail is something I have not run into. Give me an example and I'll go have a look at it.

The new PK is formatted for 2048 sheets, so if they are saved out as standard .bmp and processed as DXT5 they should run around 5mb.

BTW...I don't get in a twist when people give me feedback, I actually appreciate it. Anyone else wanting to critique, it's always welcome.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

MIP MAP or not

About the file size i did read long time ago somewhere that you can save file size if you not use MIP Map by creating a DDS File. Positive effect is to safe file size, negative effect is you will not have the same Quality in all sizes, for example: if you create it in 4096 it will only show ok in 4096 without the mip map but may be it is a solution for your big files.

I think I'm pretty much right with the VH-EAR Qantas....

Next step is to do the earlier/later ver/s.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Qantas-VH-EAR.jpg  

Ok, the next detail. Modified prop textures:

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Looks great YoYo!
    Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    G,

Got your repaint (V3 RAF DAK) and I am in a situation where I used the V3 VVC for a V2 R-4D and that part works however, in trying to adapt your black seats the seats will remain brown and not change to your black seats.
    Here is my texture.cfg contents:

[fltsim]
    fallback.1=..\texture.blackint <<<< Your interior.
    fallback.2=..\texture.JK_NATS_17274 <<<<< a call for the Nats C47
    fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
    fallback.4=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\textur e

The syntax you are showing here will create a conflict.
    Don't modify your texture.cfg file. Copy the entire texture.cfg document from texture.RAF374 and paste it into the aircraft texture folder that you want to point to the black interior.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I did that and they are still brown.

Kind of defies logic

[fltsim]
    fallback.1=..\texture.blackint
    fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
    fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\textur e <<<<< The e in texture has a space in it but when I edit this the word texture has no space.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    The syntax you are showing here will create a conflict.
    Don't modify your texture.cfg file. Copy the entire texture.cfg document from texture.RAF374 and paste it into the aircraft texture folder that you want to point to the black interior.

Blog Entries

Check this!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmsgt View Post
    Actually, the United States Air Force was born on September 18th, 1947...

The Old Master Sergeant

Transfer Order 1 was the first of 200 Army-Air Force transfer agreements drawn up in June and July, 1947, and ordered the transfer of all military and civilian personnel of the Army Air Forces to the Department of the Air Force and the USAF.[4] The final transfer order was signed June 22, 1949.
    Over the continuing objections of the Navy, the United States Department of the Air Force was created by the National Security Act of 1947. That act became effective September 18, 1947 when the first secretary of the Air Force, Stuart Symington, took office. In 1948, the service chiefs agreed on usage of air assets under the Key West Agreement. (VERY IMPORTANT FACTOR!!!)

Really, on paper it was created in 1947... You are "rivet count correct" lol... but when you think in terms of being a "working" independent branch of the US Armed Forces....June 22, 1949 would probably be more accurate...
    so in effect 1948 would MAYBE... for all practical purposes... especially in terms of nomenclature, fine tuning of regulations, etc. etc. .... when it really became itself...

G.

Kind of defies logic

[fltsim]
    fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\textur e <<<<< The e in texture has a space in it but when I edit this the word texture has no space.

Have you removed all 'V3' VC textures from your V2 texture folder? Rember, that texture.cfg defines FALLBACKS: if your texture folder defined in the aicraft.cfg already contains BROWN VVC textures for the model, FSX will ignore any BLACK fallback textures.

South of Possum Lodge in the 6ix, somewhere near YKZ
    Ok, the next detail. Modified prop textures:
    I don't mean to criticize what is a very well done skin, but I am wondering if the next detail to look at is the wing roundel. Would it not have been a Type B roundel as opposed to the Type C.1 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...rce_roundels)? AFAIK, C.1 roundels were only used on the wings of 2nd Tactical Air Force planes, and Dakotas were assigned to RAF Transport Command. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the repaint Gman. Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Been working on this one all weekend, time to take a break.

Joe
    I have always had a sweet spot for SA/SAAF skins. Keep up the good work mate!

Quote Originally Posted by HalfSaw View Post
    I don't mean to criticize what is a very well done skin, but I am wondering if the next detail to look at is the wing roundel. Would it not have been a Type B roundel as opposed to the Type C.1 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...rce_roundels)? AFAIK, C.1 roundels were only used on the wings of 2nd Tactical Air Force planes, and Dakotas were assigned to RAF Transport Command. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi. I used C.1 on fuselage and B on the top of wings, type C under wings, like here for example:

If Im wrong correct me.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Hi Gordon,
    Just noticed a very minor thing on your excellent KG374. The cowl flap indicators now appear misaligned and give incorrect readings of actual flap position.
    Could be a peculiarity with my own setup perhaps, although they work ok with other liveries including your '770.'
    No big deal really, KG374 is magnificent in all other respects.

FIxed

I just may of stumbled on a solution, at least it works for me, I copied all the file contents of Gordon's texture.blackint to the NATS folder and it over rode some file in my NATS texture folder, low and behold
    I now have the black seats that I have been wrestling to have.

Kind of defies logic

[fltsim]

South of Possum Lodge in the 6ix, somewhere near YKZ
    YoYo:

That's how the Dakotas would have been painted according to official RAF specs, with the Type C on the lower wing and Type B on the upper. When invasion stripes were added, many Daks had the lower Type C roundels painted over, so Gman having no lower wing roundels is prototypically correct. I've been looking for photos of 374, but haven't located any that show the wing surfaces. I've put out feelers to my friends at Canadian Warplane Heritage to see if anyone there knows.

That's a mighty fine looking paint, if you don't mind me saying.

Hi. I used C.1 on fuselage and B on the top of wings, type C under wings, like here for example:

If Im wrong correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfSaw View Post
    YoYo:

That's how the Dakotas would have been painted according to official RAF specs, with the Type C on the lower wing and Type B on the upper. When invasion stripes were added, many Daks had the lower Type C roundels painted over, so Gman having no lower wing roundels is prototypically correct. I've been looking for photos of 374, but haven't located any that show the wing surfaces. I've put out feelers to my friends at Canadian Warplane Heritage to see if anyone there knows.

That's a mighty fine looking paint, if you don't mind me saying.
    Thank You. Yes, only few photos of this Dakota FL547 http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/upload...kota_src_2.jpg , http://www.shinden.org/av_hist/planes/c_47/08.jpg. I paitned according this model http://zszachownica.blogspot.com/201...pl-x-none.html , maybe he has better sources . This Dakota wasnt in Normandy in 44. She was in the trip over Italy in 44.
    But the top and fuselage is ok I think:

Yoyo will you be releasing your repaints here on this forum?

Cheers Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz1 View Post
    Hi Gordon,
    Just noticed a very minor thing on your excellent KG374. The cowl flap indicators now appear misaligned and give incorrect readings of actual flap position.
    Could be a peculiarity with my own setup perhaps, although they work ok with other liveries including your '770.'
    No big deal really, KG374 is magnificent in all other respects.
    Looks like the bug was on my end. I went through the entire set of VC textures and made the necessary corrections. I've re-loaded the RAF KG374 file with the update. Thanks for the HU.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    I just may of stumbled on a solution, at least it works for me, I copied all the file contents of Gordon's texture.blackint to the NATS folder and it over rode some file in my NATS texture folder, low and behold
    I may be mistaken but judging form the screen cap you posted, that looks like Jan's black VC...not mine. Not to worry, it's a beauty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Looks like the bug was on my end. I went through the entire set of VC textures and made the necessary corrections. I've re-loaded the RAF KG374 file with the update. Thanks for the HU.
    Most grateful for your extra effort on such a minor point. I've seen much of your remarkable work here at SOH and to my eyes KG374 ranks amongst your finest. Really enjoying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Yoyo will you be releasing your repaints here on this forum?

Cheers Chris
    Flightsim, Avsim and will try here for the first time ; >.

Qantas VH-EDD ....that 'other' paint version. Now for a QEA one ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails qantas vh-edd2.jpg  

Hey Gray Eagle,

now you have but TWO sets of VVC textures! If you just want to have one alias folder with Gman's black VVC textures for other liveries also, just do as Gman has told you and DELETE all VVC textures from your actual (NATS) livery folder. Only then its texture.cfg makes sense as I tried to describe earlier.

hello guys I'm Captain from Thailand.
    it's my Royal Thai Air Force repaint .
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-RTAF-C-47-zip

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail1 copy.jpg  

Hi Gman! I'm sorry to tell you what I' m going to write but your HD
    paints ( USAF 50940 end Yankee Doodle) appear very blurred in my FSX (gold edition-Windows 7) . Of course I've set TML=4096,
    so in your opinion is there something to be fixed? Thank you
    Last edited by menef; August 2nd, 2016 at 04:07.
    The more you do, the less you dream

Members who have read this thread: 18