Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 37
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27293031323334353637383940414243444547 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Normally I don't request liveries/paint jobs but given the complexity of this bird and especially the aluminium textures etc, I was wondering whether anybody could tackle the Fiji Airways DC-3/C-47. As far as I can tell it is basically the Qantas livery of the period (Qantas and TEAL owned a good chunk of the airline at the time) but with FIJI Airways instead of Qantas on the upper fuselage and of therefore an Australian (ex Qantas) registration on the tail. Not sure when and where it was taken but curiously there is a BOAC 707 in the background and they never went to Fiji.

I spend too much time with scenery and remodelling cockpits and gauges to master the painting business, one day, maybe!

Here is the only original photo in colour I can find:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fiji-airways.jpg  

I can do that one?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Could anyone of you talented painters do a 'shiny' metallic TWA Lindbergh Line repaint for the C-47 V3 pleeeease ?

Just bumping this up a bit, does anyone fancy a go.

Cheers
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post
    First of all a huge thank you to all the people involved in the making and painting of the C-47, truly a masterpiece of a freeware addon. I have no idea how you chaps do what you do but thanks again

Now a request, I recently bought the Classic Cockpits DC-3 DVD featuring a DC-3 from
    Dakota National Air

It would make a nice addition to anyone's hanger some more pictures here. http://www.aussieairliners.org/dc-3/vh-tae/vhtae.html

Cheers
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Normally I don't request liveries/paint jobs but given the complexity of this bird and especially the aluminium textures etc, I was wondering whether anybody could tackle the Fiji Airways DC-3/C-47. As far as I can tell it is basically the Qantas livery of the period (Qantas and TEAL owned a good chunk of the airline at the time) but with FIJI Airways instead of Qantas on the upper fuselage and of therefore an Australian (ex Qantas) registration on the tail. Not sure when and where it was taken but curiously there is a BOAC 707 in the background and they never went to Fiji.

I spend too much time with scenery and remodelling cockpits and gauges to master the painting business, one day, maybe!

Here is the only original photo in colour I can find:

I'd essentially have that one done already....having done all the qantas vers.....darnspacebar
    Bloody
    Android
    only Dif is the "fiji"

Edit....now on a 'real' computer so can fix the formatting....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail.jpg   qantas vh-edd1.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; December 4th, 2016 at 02:54.

here you go, almost done:

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Cool....saves me doing it....am still in the midst of XB-70s....

Great Bunch of Paints, still about 10,000 to go ...

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Could anyone of you talented painters do a 'shiny' metallic TWA Lindbergh Line repaint for the C-47 V3 pleeeease ?

That's a great livery...curious to know if that version was ever on a DC-3. I know it was the livery for TWA's DC-2's. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by triflyman View Post
    That's a great livery...curious to know if that version was ever on a DC-3. I know it was the livery for TWA's DC-2's. Anyone know?
    Yes, it was but there's the problem of the early civilian 3's fitted with Wright Cyclones instead of the later Pratts, as can be seen clearly here. ( but like i noticed before, not that anyone cares... ;-)

"The Lindbergh Line " temporarely replaced for obvious reasons.

Sad story of sistership NC1946 here: https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/16-january-1942/

The Cyclones and starboard pax door only aside, one could probabely paint up the V3 version like this as NC1946, a tribute to Carole Lombard and Clark Gable.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    here you go, almost done:

nice, I will download that one

@ Jankees - From my humble self, thanks very much for the Fiji Airways paint. it has long been missing from my Fiji Airways motley collection. Oh and as an after thought I have been doing stuff with flying boats building scenery bases etc in the Pacific so this fits with the period very well. All five of your Qantas double sunrise Catalinas now are proudly part of the collection. (But where to find 24 hours to go simming non stop! to reproduce the Catalina flights.)

I was also unaware that they had used the aircraft for so long. Only the Heron to go now. Little additional information for what it was worth. The hull and wings are still out at the airport at Camden in NSW stashed besides a hangar. Éngine failure together with a poorly maintained prop governor was the cause for the ditching and crew performance, to slow to feather and when they tried it did not do it, the rest as they say is history. knew the captain and co-pilot personally in lifes ironies it cruelled their chances of further employment in the industry. By comparison the Dakota National Air in a previous thread above, threw a piston out of Sydney one afternoon, but they were well maintained and a very old and experienced DC-3 driver called Ces Sly (ex RAAF/CAA) calmly went through the drills, shut it down, feathered and back to Bankstown with a full load of pax. The engine on strip down was a mess.

Jafo your interest was appreciated as well. As for myself these multi-layered paints are just beyond my capacity in the painting business. So I acknowledge the masters at work. Cheers and thanks again.
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; December 4th, 2016 at 22:40. Reason: More information.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post
    Just bumping this up a bit, does anyone fancy a go.

Cheers
    Rich

Shadowcaster cannot help you with this one but for information I have some little time in the real aeroplane and they had grey painted cockpit panels so you might want to use the grey VC textures if someone does this one. Cheers Bendyflyer.

Well proof of concept. C-47 at Nausori Airport Fiji. The second pic is because of the green nose cowling from the VC but the external view shows that it is black, is this a VC texture issue?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_2016-12-5_21-9-0-528.jpg   tn_2016-12-5_21-1-11-431.jpg  

Fiji Airways C-47

@ Jankees : Thank you for this new repaint. Already added to my hangar and on the way to visit the islands!

@ BendyFlyer : very easy... just rename or delete the noseout.dds file located into the texture.JK_Fiji folder. The texture.cfg giving as fallback the texture folder, your aircraft will use the dark noseout.dds file from this folder.
    Or get a full black noseout.dds file from an other aircraft repaint, and copy/paste to the Fiji folder. (Have a look amongst others on these repaints : Air Atlantique, ALLAS, B.A.F.I.N., El Venado, Flabob Express for instance)

Blue skies
    Windows 10 x64, Z170A Gaming Pro Mobo, i7-6700K CPU (no O/C), 32 Gb DDR4 RAM, RTX3060 12Gb, P3D v5 latest edition, mesh Toposim, packs ORBX FTX Global Base + Vector + OpenLC, + Trees HD, ASP3D, ASCA, P3D v6 latest edition, mesh Toposim + TEP, X-Plane 12, simHeaven X-World, M2XP Antarctica

oops, yes, that is a VC texture that I never looked at...
    I believe it is the noseout texture, if you swap that with a black one?
    I am currently not near my paint computer unfortunately..

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Shadowcaster cannot help you with this one but for information I have some little time in the real aeroplane and they had grey painted cockpit panels so you might want to use the grey VC textures if someone does this one. Cheers Bendyflyer.
    Thanks for replying and for the info, she sure is a lovely looking DC3

Cheers
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by triflyman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Yes, it was but there's the problem of the early civilian 3's fitted with Wright Cyclones instead of the later Pratts, as can be seen clearly here. ( but like i noticed before, not that anyone cares... ;-)

"The Lindbergh Line " temporarely replaced for obvious reasons.

Sad story of sistership NC1946 here: https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/16-january-1942/

The Cyclones and starboard pax door only aside, one could probabely paint up the V3 version like this as NC1946, a tribute to Carole Lombard and Clark Gable.
    I believe any one of these TWA versions would look fantastic in the shiny metal with red lettering and accents on the C-47 V3 , guys ! Thank-you for considering this one as a possible future project. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooneybird565 View Post
    @ Jankees : Thank you for this new repaint. Already added to my hangar and on the way to visit the islands!

@ BendyFlyer : very easy... just rename or delete the noseout.dds file located into the texture.JK_Fiji folder. The texture.cfg giving as fallback the texture folder, your aircraft will use the dark noseout.dds file from this folder.
    Or get a full black noseout.dds file from an other aircraft repaint, and copy/paste to the Fiji folder. (Have a look amongst others on these repaints : Air Atlantique, ALLAS, B.A.F.I.N., El Venado, Flabob Express for instance)

Blue skies
    Got it thanks. Too tired last night to go searching.

nearly done:

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    nearly done:
    With TWA badging and brilliant shine , I see a baby L-049 Constellation here !

Haven't visited this thread in some time. Did the night lighting update ever come out?
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Haven't visited this thread in some time. Did the night lighting update ever come out?
    Still working on it i'm afraid, turns out about just as much work as creating the vvc itself... Mainly due to an FSX bug that prevents the use of ambient vclighting with bumpmaps. Throw away the bumpmaps ? I don't think so. All in all it's not an overnightlighted job so to speak. Certainly not finished yet but there's deffinately some light at the end of tunnel.

Just keep your fingers crossed that it's done before A2A's Connie lands on my doormat.. ;-)

Cheers,
    Jan

Blog Entries
    Hey Jan! It looks pretty good to me!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Members who have read this thread: 17