Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 16
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 68910111213141516171819202122232426 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Just got back from my holidays.
    I may look at the PNGDF again, but as far as I can see the only difference would be the engine textures? Or am I missing something?
    welcome back from your picturesque holiday, from my observations its just engine textures for the exterior model, unless im missing something as well, however to be honest im still using the v2 paint kit because I dont get excited of zooming up close to look at engines while flying

internal changes, well thats another story

Blog Entries
    The V2 paint kit is completely compatible with the V3 model, but there were a lot of additional work hours beyond the addition of Ted's radials undertaken for the new PK.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Messing around in the Paint Kit....finger paintin again!

Trying my hand at some bare metal before moving into actual paint....nothing close to finished...

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I've also tweaked my model in MCX with positive results. You can anticipate the usual impact on FPS, so your settings will need to be monitored. My system handles it fine with sliders full right and making 45+FPS in the air. Be sure to look at the "allow bloom" tag as well as "use global environment map as reflection".

FYI When using my skins:
    I've optimized all of my metal textures for use with Dynamic Reflections in P3D. They are also fine with DR disabled, or in FSX.
    Fantastic! That's exactly the detailed info I was after! Thanks so much for posting it - really appreciated!

I've only fiddled with MCX to persuade the odd ancient add-on to work in P3D, but often get errors. I have to admit I'm way out of my depth with it! Which version of MCX are you using for P3D?

Do you think Manfred could be persuaded to release DR tweaked versions of the model?

Here's the livery I'm keen to have showing dynamic reflections:
    http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...k-nz-warbirds/

It's an odd one, as in RL it's not polished aluminium (more of a high-gloss grey) but it would still reflect the real world.

I'll let you know how I get on!!!

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

Blog Entries
    For anyone interested in enabling P3D Dynamic Reflections.

Important Note:
    This model is only approved for FSX by the developers, but I have flown it in P3D throughout the beta process. You may experience one or two tiny anomalies, but nothing to diminish the immersion of the model.

Conversion Instructions.

Get the latest revision of Model ConverterX that is compatible with your system.
    http://www.scenerydesign.org/modelconverterx/

Open MCX

Import the C47V3_1.MDL file from your installed Douglas_C-47_V3.12_Beta/model file. If you have the update there will be three model files.
    model | model.C47_2 | model.GAF
    Drag and drop works fine.

Follow the steps I've shown in the graphic for texture sheets C47_1_T.dds and C47_2_T.dds
    Note that these changes are global and will be encoded in to the .mdl file. This modification will now be active on all textures assigned to the .mdl file(s) you have enabled for DR.

1. Open the materials editor
    2. Scroll down the list to "Use Global Environment Map As Reflection" and tic true from the drop down menu. (arrow)
    3. Apply the changes you have made to the two texture sheets.
    4. Export the .mdl file back into the model folder in the sim.
    5. Repeat the procedure for any model you want to use DR.

You can also scroll up the menu and enable "Allow Bloom" from the Bloom option.

Other options should be left as they are due to the fact that painters have developed their skins based on the current settings. GlobalEnvMap and bloom will not adversely affect the other settings.

You have a backup of the .mdl file if you have saved your downloaded C-47_V3. Just in case.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

@Adamski_NZ

The way I personally would make it look like glossy grey paint and not simply minimal reflective metallic grey, is to place the grey layer on top of the panel lines layer with no blending options. In PS it would be the normal setting. This way the only lines that you would see would be those in the bump and those in the specular. The bumps would not change, but you'd want to make the lines in the specular show more light rather than less. Meaning you'd want to have something closer to a light grey getting close to white-grey instead of the dark grey in the diffuse part of the specular. You'd also want to tone down the reflection in the diffuse alpha and make the entire painted area a uniform grey rather than a graduated tone as appears in the paint kit for the metal parts.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Trying my hand at some bare metal before moving into actual paint....nothing close to finished...
    Elvis is in the house.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    The way I personally would make it look like glossy grey paint and not simply minimal reflective metallic grey, is to place the grey layer on top of the panel lines layer with no blending options. In PS it would be the normal setting. This way the only lines that you would see would be those in the bump and those in the specular. The bumps would not change, but you'd want to make the lines in the specular show more light rather than less. Meaning you'd want to have something closer to a light grey getting close to white-grey instead of the dark grey in the diffuse part of the specular. You'd also want to tone down the reflection in the diffuse alpha and make the entire painted area a uniform grey rather than a graduated tone as appears in the paint kit for the metal parts.
    Hey Rick,

Not sure if you got the "basic" addition to the PK, but I put a base grey layer with shading, panels and bumps in for non metallic paints.
    Thomas Jefferson

Gman, is the paint kit just the one file called *_basic.psd? Great job by the way!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    For anyone interested in enabling P3D Dynamic Reflections.

Important Note:
    This model is only approved for FSX by the developers, but I have flown it in P3D throughout the beta process. You may experience one or two tiny anomalies, but nothing to diminish the immersion of the model.

Conversion Instructions.

Get the latest revision of Model ConverterX that is compatible with your system.
    http://www.scenerydesign.org/modelconverterx/

Open MCX

Import the C47V3_1.MDL file from your installed Douglas_C-47_V3.12_Beta/model file. If you have the update there will be three model files.
    model | model.C47_2 | model.GAF
    Drag and drop works fine.

Follow the steps I've shown in the graphic for texture sheets C47_1_T.dds and C47_2_T.dds
    Note that these changes are global and will be encoded in to the .mdl file. This modification will now be active on all textures assigned to the .mdl file(s) you have enabled for DR.

1. Open the materials editor
    2. Scroll down the list to "Use Global Environment Map As Reflection" and tic true from the drop down menu. (arrow)
    3. Apply the changes you have made to the two texture sheets.
    4. Export the .mdl file back into the model folder in the sim.
    5. Repeat the procedure for any model you want to use DR.

You can also scroll up the menu and enable "Allow Bloom" from the Bloom option.

Other options should be left as they are due to the fact that painters have developed their skins based on the current settings. GlobalEnvMap and bloom will not adversely affect the other settings.

You have a backup of the .mdl file if you have saved your downloaded C-47_V3. Just in case.

I Think Gman forget to mention as well Dont forget to do the interior model as well otherwise you wont get the effect when viewing from the VC

Probably should find a better place to be painting the plane.....seems I have a queue at YMML.

Gotta find a lot more pics yet...

Edit....

Got the alphas and spec to match the changes... still not sure on some details....seems the RAN ones are even more variable than the RAAF.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N2-123-2.jpg   N2-123-1.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; August 15th, 2016 at 20:40.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    I Think Gman forget to mention as well Dont forget to do the interior model as well otherwise you wont get the effect when viewing from the VC
    Yepper....!

Thanks Jeansy
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Gman, is the paint kit just the one file called *_basic.psd? Great job by the way!
    Here ya go boss.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=176&id=21686

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=176&id=21662
    Thomas Jefferson

Incredible!!!!!!!!!! Dynamic reflections work!!!! Thank you so much!

I'll do some more fiddling and post the result.

Adam.

Yay - look at this!!

It even picks up AI aircraft LOL!
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

Thanks Gman! I did not have the comprehensive one! It's time...
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

thats about it for the ADF for me 3xRAAF & 2xRAN

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    thats about it for the ADF for me 3xRAAF & 2xRAN

At least I've managed to be doing different ones...

We ain't tripped over each other yet...

i look for this one

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Finished this one.

Joe
    Joe,

Where was this uploaded to? Could not find for V3.
    Thanks,

I think I've got N2-123 done about as near as possible. It went through a few variations from A65-123 ...

Edit....nope, still more to do.....undercarriage/gear bays and a little fiddle with the spec [still]....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N2-123-3.jpg   N2-123-4.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; August 16th, 2016 at 19:35.

Quote Originally Posted by triflyman View Post
    Joe,

Where was this uploaded to? Could not find for V3.
    Thanks,
    triflyman,

I have not uploaded that paint yet, still a few things to do on it. I have 5 other paints that I jump between
    so as to not burn out on one paint job. Like this one.......

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    triflyman,

I have not uploaded that paint yet, still a few things to do on it. I have 5 other paints that I jump between
    so as to not burn out on one paint job. Like this one.......

Joe
    Superb!!!! Great set of paints there Joe.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

N2-123 of the RAN is done. It's taken 198 image reloads between this and A65-98 to get all the ducks in a row re Spec/gloss for the RAAF painted silver/aluminium.
    Working from photos and matching the effects of flare, etc I've come up with this.
    Now, if I were 'clever' I'd head off to Point Cook [just down the road] as I think there's one there in the flesh...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N2-123-6.jpg   N2-123-5.jpg  

Rick-

Your bare metal work is stunning... Any chance for a "bare gal" (sans whiskers) before you start covering her up?

Ta!

C

Members who have read this thread: 17