Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 11
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Hey Richard,

A little tip for lining up the left and right sides, paint the left side first (it's the top fuselage in the PK).
    Once done make a duplicate layer and then drag it down to the right side. Here is where the wire
    frame (mesh layer) comes into good use for lining them up.

When I start using any paint kit I outline one side of the fuselage and wings in a base color and clean
    it up using the wire frame. Then I save that layer to use for all the rest of my paints by just duplicating
    the layer then I can change the color or cut out parts for the new paint.

One thing I noticed on your paint is that you need to paint the cargo door hinge. They are located at
    the top to the right of the engine parts. Other than that it's looking good.

I use photobucket for hosting my pics, there are other free photo sharing sites out there.

Joe
    I will get back in and paint those hinges tomorrow and I am through with this one. I use your ideas of cut and paste both in PSD and in PSP making things identical that way. I found a ton of airline repaints in Flyaway and Simviation for the V2. I found that they work great for me with the V3. Here is the Southern Airways which is "down-home" for me. May do some flying of that after getting some retro from Calclassics of the airports like Greenville SC etc. Appreciate your help and your tips. I have to change registrations on this tomorrow and will use the help. I also have got a couple of ideas for new ones from some IPMS photos that I ran across this evening. I use photobucket but have been directly uploading photos here. I will try it with the Southern one below.

Southern

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I will get back in and paint those hinges tomorrow and I am through with this one. I use your ideas of cut and paste both in PSD and in PSP making things identical that way. I found a ton of airline repaints in Flyaway and Simviation for the V2. I found that they work great for me with the V3. Here is the Southern Airways which is "down-home" for me. May do some flying of that after getting some retro from Calclassics of the airports like Greenville SC etc. Appreciate your help and your tips. I have to change registrations on this tomorrow and will use the help. I also have got a couple of ideas for new ones from some IPMS photos that I ran across this evening. I use photobucket but have been directly uploading photos here. I will try it with the Southern one below.

I think I'm close....getting A65-98 to be silver paint and white [not metal].
    Eventually someone cleaned it all off anyway as it became VH-OVM ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gooney Bird while in RAAF.jpg  

Ok.
    Released, two silver skins series + gift "22 Lipca" Polish Airlines LOT, so 3 silver/natural metal new repaints. I Hope You like it.
    Now the time for the rest ;>. Ciao!

C-47 (DC-3/R4D-6) "MAAM"

Link : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0&linkid=21731
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

... continued

C-47 (DC-3) "Bluebonnet Belle"

Link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0&linkid=21732

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

....continued

C-47 (DC-3) "22 Lipca" LOT

Link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0&linkid=21733

A lot of work ; ).

SOH-CM-2021
    I had 45 different textures on the previous version, which was far too many. I set myself a limit of 12 for V3. Fat chance! You guys are producing such tempting textures, that my resolve has disolved.

Den.

YoYo-

The weathering on Lipca is simply amazing! I cannot imagine how much work that must have been- bravo!

C

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    This took ALL DAY for me to figure out how to get the dorsal on the fuselage painted even with ButcherBird17's generous help. I don't know if its just me or the model which is beautiful though it contains the C47 D-Day paint and couldn't get MY& paint to show up with it to see what I was doing. That said, after much trial and error...the dorsal on the right has less paint than the one on the left and "voila" (FR.) its done. I want to thank DaveB for starting all the trouble. JUST KIDDING. My old business partner, Adrian, was very fond of saying "We do it right, or we don't do it" and that is what I kept telling myself everytime I looked at it in FSX and it still wasn't right. Here is a picture of 42-93800 on the runway at KFAR, Hector Field. I'm happy with it now, hope you will be. I will upload this to the Warbirds Library and share. The emblem on the nose is the insignia of the 178th Fighter Intercepter Squadron "Happy Hooligans" and if you look close enough the crew has it on their squadron ballcaps.

That's one cool paint. Well done for sticking with it

I downloaded 1.35gb of PS Elements 14 yesterday on a 30 day trial to see if it could open PSD's done with later versions of PS. Unfortunately.. it does not.. not without loosing layers. This surprised me a bit. I'd have thought Adobe would have maintained a certain amount of commonality between their newest products but in the end.. it seems that if you want to get into a PSD made with a later 'high end' program, Adobe would rather you buy that program!!
    It does open ok in CS2 mind you
    ATB
    Dave

Just a quick question and a screenshot. I fly for FSEconomy and it seemed "wrong" to fly the C47 in military livery from civilian gravel strips in Alaska so I did my own fictional N-Number repaint.

One thing I noticed, though. When looking out from the VVC over the nose the blue color does not appear. I see the rivet details and the nose, but it is a "brown" color, not blue. Is that texture located somewhere else for me to color?

Randy

noseout.dds is the file you want, it's in the aircraft's texture folder.
    Colour it as you wish and then add it to your repaint folder.
    Regards,
    Nick

Thanks for the quick reply, Nick.

Much appreciated.

Randy

I'd like to know how this livery could be made compatible with V2?
    I'd like to see a version of this for V2.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Ok.
    Released, two silver skins series + gift "22 Lipca" Polish Airlines LOT, so 3 silver/natural metal new repaints. I Hope You like it.
    Now the time for the rest ;>. Ciao!

C-47 (DC-3/R4D-6) "MAAM"

Link : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0&linkid=21731

The repaint(s) works just fine with V2 - all you have to do is change the 'sim=' and 'model=' entries in the Aircraft.cfg file for the repaint. For V2, it should be modified to 'sim=Douglas_DC3_v1.2' and 'model=C47_2' (for the non-Rebecca Antenna model - assuming that's why you're using the V2 version).

Adobe Creative Cloud

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    That's one cool paint. Well done for sticking with it

I downloaded 1.35gb of PS Elements 14 yesterday on a 30 day trial to see if it could open PSD's done with later versions of PS. Unfortunately.. it does not.. not without loosing layers. This surprised me a bit. I'd have thought Adobe would have maintained a certain amount of commonality between their newest products but in the end.. it seems that if you want to get into a PSD made with a later 'high end' program, Adobe would rather you buy that program!!
    It does open ok in CS2 mind you
    ATB
    Dave
    You can get a 30day free trial subscription to Creative Cloud that contains the latest Photoshop. They don't even sell anymore but by subscription only on a monthly auto deduction from a credit/debit card. You can cancel it though before that starts and the trial ends. I have to use Adobe Muse for my Christian Radio Station web site design and changes starting with them as a beta tester. Would you believe that EVEN the beta testers were not given a copy or subscription after helping them develop the program for a year. Thanks for all your help now where is the money if you want to continue to use it. Needless to say I am not an Adobe fan but as you say you get locked in when that is what designers use whatever field not just flightsim. Enough preaching on the soapbox. LOL.

Painted that hinge just a few minutes ago. I will be uploading to the Warbird Library to share this paint later. Been working on final NAS Alameda all day. Thank you for your pointing out the skips.

Da upper hinge

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjett53 View Post
    Just a quick question and a screenshot. I fly for FSEconomy and it seemed "wrong" to fly the C47 in military livery from civilian gravel strips in Alaska so I did my own fictional N-Number repaint.

One thing I noticed, though. When looking out from the VVC over the nose the blue color does not appear. I see the rivet details and the nose, but it is a "brown" color, not blue. Is that texture located somewhere else for me to color?

Randy
    Funny, I just finished painting my upper hinge orange in the North Dakota ANG repaint and notice unless the actual aircraft did not paint it that your upper hinge is not painted white. Just a help not a criticism. Its at the top of C47_1_T not on C47_2_T where I thought it would be since the door is on that section.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjett53 View Post

Randy
    She is spot on for what I am looking for too Ramjett53 -an "N" civi paint that is not tied up with an airliner of some sort...

Would it all be possible to get a copy when she is done please?

Regards,
    Tim

That helped thanks, Now I have shiny and not so shiny Nats birds.

Only thing is, these are in the V2 folders thus I don't get the VVC panels. I tried to located the V3 of the Maam version in V3 folder but call on the V2 model and was hoping for the vvc cockpit
    but that didn't happen. Least not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    The repaint(s) works just fine with V2 - all you have to do is change the 'sim=' and 'model=' entries in the Aircraft.cfg file for the repaint. For V2, it should be modified to 'sim=Douglas_DC3_v1.2' and 'model=C47_2' (for the non-Rebecca Antenna model - assuming that's why you're using the V2 version).

your upper hinge is not painted white
    Yep, nor is the lower hinge dark blue. Been playing with it to get things lined up because there are three subtle shades of blue that cross it. And, to be sure, I take absolutely no offense that you pointed this out. I too noticed it. It's what helps make a repaint better, so always a good thing.

Would it all be possible to get a copy when she is done please?
    Absolutely Tim. I'm still working on finer points...notably the hinges, the nose, nacelles and cowls, and after downloading "Miss Virginia" and seeing that shine, getting the metal unpainted parts looking shiny as well.

Randy

Stuck in a rut with this one....getting painted silver to look right....it's all about the spec.

Makes a change when messing with polished metal is actually easier.

But I've managed to finish the 3 Qantas vers....so they'll be uploaded shortly...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A65-98.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Stuck in a rut with this one....getting painted silver to look right....it's all about the spec.

Makes a change when messing with polished metal is actually easier.
    So true! It is very difficult to make virtual aluminium paint which doesn't look like grayish plastic..... I advise you to take a look at YoYo's MAAM repaint. I think he has captured it quite well.

Good luck

Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    So true! It is very difficult to make virtual aluminium paint which doesn't look like grayish plastic..... I advise you to take a look at YoYo's MAAM repaint. I think he has captured it quite well.

Good luck

Huub
    Yes, great paint to be sure...but not quite what the RAAF one is....
    Here's the actual aeroplane... A65-98 ....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0251.328l.jpg  

What I tried to say is that aluminium dope is normally not very glossy. Spec maps make repaints glossy especially on this model. So when you use white, or nearly white for the on the spec map for the aluminium part they most likely don't look that "plastic".

But its a real challenge and as you have to load the aircraft after every adjustment very time consuming. There are 4 inputs (texture, spec map and an alpha layer on both of them), which all have an effect on each other it is hard to get the most authentic look.

Cheers,
    Huub

The white's not the problem...it's just white. It's that silver-blue that needs to flare in spec although relatively flat in alpha [gloss].
    I'm rethinking the whole methodology....remember...this is without full layers...as I don't have PS....other than PE5....so a bit of lateral thinking is used.
    Here's a screenie of my 'workbench'...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a65-98 WIP.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 17