how to assign GPS popup to joystick button?

Thread: how to assign GPS popup to joystick button?

how to assign GPS popup to joystick button?

I'm going out of my senile mind.

I had the GPS popup (which I havestandardized in most of my aircraft by assigning to [Window03]) so it would display with a push of the joystick button. It worked great but now that I've reinstalled, I can't remember how I did it.

I have the full version of FSUIPC but I'm too thick to understand LUA's or LINDA. If it was thru FSUIPC how do you do it? I tried setting the joystick button and it was recognized in FSUIPC but I selected FS Control couldn't find the right command description. If not FSUIPC, maybe I did it through the Options/Settings/Controls/Buttons-Keys in FSX proper.

Chances are I initially found a solution on a forum or internet page and carried it out rotely but I'll be darned if i can find anything now resembling what I'm trying to (re)achieve. I am tearing my thinning hair out.

Obie

It should work with Shift+4 and you can reset this to a button or key of your choice
    in the FSX Controls\Buttons\Keys window.
    Look for Panel Window 4 (Show\Hide)
    Regards,
    Nick

FSUIPC is the way to go as the Shift & 4 option may not work for all aircraft depending on their designers programming of the panel.

Froogle did a Video on programming with FSUIPC whilst not directly what you are looking for it should not be too difficult to work it out

https://youtu.be/TkOg-r_MKwM

Once you get the hang of it, it's a doddle.

Shift+4 will work perfectly well for all the aircraft that you have
    gone to the trouble of making Window03 the GPS in.
    Regards,
    Nick

Panel_id_toggle

You can call up the GPS panel using the FSX control 'Panel_Id_Toggle' with a parameter of 225.
    You can also call up the Radio panel using Panel_Id_Toggle with a parameter of 50.
    I assign the commands using HIDMACROS but you could use FSUIPC, Linda or edit the standard.xml file directly.
    It will work in most cases.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I did finally assign thru FSUIPC shift+4 keypress to the joystick button I wanted and that worked well. I am intrigued however with silverghost's suggestion. I wonder if it would work regardless of what window the GPS is assigned to in the panel.cfg? If that is the case, it is a more elegant and useful suggestion than my current assignment.

Obie

As I suspected Silverghost's FSUIPC suggestion was more elegant than mine.

It only requires a panel entry for the GPS to have the line "ident=GPS_PANEL" to link a button push to the GPS popup regardless of the Window Title. It does not require different GPS's in various aircraft to be assigned to the same WindowXX.

Be advised though if you change an ident= entry that has a specific number id fto "GPS_PANEL", it may disable the clickspot popup feature the developer intended.

Obie

Quote Originally Posted by silverghost View Post
    You can call up the GPS panel using the FSX control 'Panel_Id_Toggle' with a parameter of 225.
    You can also call up the Radio panel using Panel_Id_Toggle with a parameter of 50.
    I assign the commands using HIDMACROS but you could use FSUIPC, Linda or edit the standard.xml file directly.
    It will work in most cases.
    Where did you get these parameters? Is there a listing somewhere??

Obie

Members who have read this thread: 0