Some C-47 V3 Feedback - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Some C-47 V3 Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by billhuntsman View Post
    Yes, I have tested it in flight. When the radio altimeter was set to the higher range (0-3000) and the alert was set to 200 feet (which should be 2000 ft at the higher range). The radio altimeter did work correctly, showing 2000 ft when I was that far above ground, but the alert never went off until I was 200 feet above ground. I have tested it several times and the alert always goes off in the 0-300 ft range no matter what the radio altimeter range is.

I am not a real world pilot, can you explain to me why a pilot would require a height alert at 3000 feet?
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    I am not a real world pilot, can you explain to me why a pilot would require a height alert at 3000 feet?
    I'm not a pilot either, but I'm guessing it's for flying over mountainous terrain (?)

Bees and Mark Fours

Hello,

without a doubt the C-47 V3 is great! Period.

However, mostly by repainters the 'C-47' is treated as if there ever was just one version of it. C-47Bs (R4D-6, Dakota Mk. IV) are treated as C-47As (Mk. III). So, I wondered if there are plans to equip the model with high blowers and the more powerful R-1830-94 engines? I also ask because the beauty of FSX-Acc is that its coding for the first time provides for superchargers alernatively to the turbochargers with which all simulators prior had to live with.

Hello

Congratulations to all the team for this gem!
    I like to have a 2D window radios like editing picture is attached:

Is it possible?
    Thank you!
    Cordially!

Alain

A pilot may desire to have an altitude at any level for various reasons, but I can't really think why it would be limited to 0-3000 if it's going to be more than 300. It's a radio altimeter, so it calls out height above terrain. Perhaps in mountainous terrain, where ground level changes rapidly, up to 3000 could be a useful safety margin rather than a limit of 300, which is quite low.

Having no no time at all in this type, I do not know how the real instrument worked. Perhaps those with time can tell us.

I am not a pilot, so I don't know either. However, I can imagine that a warning at 800 or 1000 ft might be useful for entering a pattern around an airport or for mountain flying. I have to admit that this is the first dual-range altitude alert I have seen, but I'm only going by what the manual says.

Bill

Could be a reminder when going up.....that the A/C isn't pressurized ...

Camera views

Hello, First I want to say great job on a beautiful plane!
    I was wondering if there was a way to revert the F9 and F11 views back to VC and fixed spot without losing the camera views that came with the aircraft. I just use the fixed spot more than the left engine view for instance. I like having all the view options but im a creature of habit and I keep hitting F9 or F11 instead of the S key, lol. Thank you either way and once again, beautiful plane

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Alky the radio altimeter (radalt) is to provide terrain awareness and closure both, in my previous flying career the radalt was set to 150 ft for an ILS and 300 ft for a non precision approach, you will note both are well below the published minimums for either type of approach, the radalt has to some degree been superseded in commercial operations by TCAS which uses aircraft momentum to both provide a warning and direction to go for an imminent collision (terrain or aircraft). If your in an out of mountainous terrain especially in cloud and at night the capacity to have an accurate reading of your actual height above terrain was invaluable given the shortcomings of barometric altimeters, so knowing that helped what is called situational awareness not a warning as such. Hope this explains the operational use better. In the flying I did we did a lot of below lowest safe altitude flight day and night (in cloud and rain) and would go down to below 300 ft by day and 600 ft by night, you kept your eyes glued to the attitude indicator and rad alt reading both and put a lot of trust in the guys up the back running the radar gear not to steer you in the wrong direction. I might add that this was done with a backup plan if it all turned to crap, namely you worked out where you were going to go and how fast you needed to climb if it all went bad for what ever reason. With TCAS we used to have a saying that the yank came out of the cupboard, 'TERRAIN TERRAIN, TOO LOW, PULL UP, PULLUP", when this happened but we had modified aircraft so TCAS was disabled before descent and reengaged once 1500 ft above terrain was achieved.

The more time I spend with v3, the more I appreciate your collective efforts- ta!

In the spirit of pursuit of perfection....

Has there been any mention of some slight yaw interaction resulting in a small spurious yaw moment during climbing and descending turns? AM is probably all over this...

The center DOT on the artificial horizon could be lowered.

All static wicks droop without change.

Will there be "detents" for auto-rich and auto-lean?

Surely these small niggles do NOT detract from what is already superb, but if there is interest in these matters, it would be splendid.

I remain ever obliged- C
    Last edited by cavaricooper; August 10th, 2016 at 08:33.

With the same spirit of the previous post :
    1) It should be nice to have also a model with the passengers seats
    along with the current one only for jumpers operations.
    2) Forward door behind the cockpit : open/close with access stair.
    The more you do, the less you dream

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    The more time I spend with v3, the more I appreciate your collective efforts- ta!

Has there been any mention of some slight yaw interaction resulting in a small spurious yaw moment during climbing and descending turns? AM is probably all over this...

Will there be "detents" for auto-rich and auto-lean?
    Could you explain a bit more about the first one?

I don't think there will be detents. I'm not sure there were in the original, but there is ongoing work on the auto-mixture function.

Quote Originally Posted by menef View Post
    With the same spirit of the previous post :
    1) It should be nice to have also a model with the passengers seats
    along with the current one only for jumpers operations.
    2) Forward door behind the cockpit : open/close with access stair.
    1) Since this is a C-47, and not a DC-3, I don't think there are any plans for a version with pax seats. She may not be a paratroop ship, but she's always a cargo ship. :-)

2) I'll pass this along.

I will do my best to explain what I'm seeing...

There is a bit of yaw dynamic (other than that normally expected) going on. The rate of application needed changes "suddenly" in climbing and descending turns. The last build (v2) had very steady and "expected" yaw input demand... This one feels a bit different. I am leaving my feet flat on the floor more as the rudder application, when required, seems but pressure. Then when adding bank it "suddenly" requires much more. Inversely when going wings level this effect "suddenly" requires much less.

There was a calm exponential feel in v2... A bit frenetic in this current beta.

In re. the mixture detents... Maybe I am confused... But v2 did indicate AR and AL in addition to % did she not...? That would be great if actual/visual detents were not possible.

Again, I want to emphasize these are NOT a showstoppers, just thoughts for continued movement towards C-47 nirvana.... LOST HORIZON here I come

I remain obliged- C

Quote Originally Posted by griphos View Post

1) Since this is a C-47, and not a DC-3, I don't think there are any plans for a version with pax seats. She may not be a paratroop ship, but she's always a cargo ship. :-)
    44-76770 was a C47B-30-DK....RAAF A65-98 now VH-OVM and has pax seats.......nudge nudge...

Here's me sitting on one of 'em....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02521.jpg  

I don't think there will be detents. I'm not sure there were in the original, but there is ongoing work on the auto-mixture function.
    From my understanding of the info on dc3-hangar.com, as well as the POH, my educated guess would be that there are detents. The paddles on the mixture levers would enable you to release the lever from the detent to move it to the next. With AUTO LEAN and AUTO RICH, there would be no reason for any position between these settings, the same applies to any lever positions between AUTO RICH and FULL RICH.

It would be very cool to have some form of click sound to indicate that you had reached the respective setting, if only to make it easier to judge exactly where the setting is on the various checklists (which are an exceptional tool in this aircraft).

Cheers

Andrew
    Per Ardua ad Astra

I have only had time to spend about an hour or two in the C47 so far unfortunately. But, I have to say it is a beautiful package, both inside and out. I have been "in love" with the DC-3 and its military variants ever since I was a child. The panel is a dream to look at, only that classic smell of metal and oil that all aircraft of this era possess is missing. The sound package is beautiful, music to my ears! I once sat in the captain's seat of LN-WND at Flying Legends 2 years ago. "Sitting" in the current VVC takes me back to then, as LN-WND has a pretty much accurate cockpit of the very early 50s, other than one or two necessary modern gauges and GPS... it is a beautifully restored aircraft... Now I can fly LN-WND myself thanks to DaveWG and his lovely repaint

Accepting that this is currently "only" a beta, there are two things that I have noticed so far that I could not find in any thread or post. I have a hardware setup currently of two separate throttle levers (a virtual-fly TQ6 is on order, yummy) on a Warthog throttle unit. The throttle levers in the VVC make a resounding "clunk" noise when they are set to full idle, 0%. However, this sound loops when I advance the right throttle lever beyond say 3 or 4%, which is necessary to tighten turns while taxiing. As soon as the left throttle lever is advanced to a similar setting, the clunk sound disappears (or when I return the right lever to its idle setting).
    The second issue concerns the sounds of the engines and propellers being linked to the throttle lever positions. Could someone maybe confirm that changing the prop rpm actually changes the sound made by the props. So far, I could not tell, as it appears to me that the sound only changes if I move the throttle levers. Maybe I am wrong here.

Thank you to the entire team, who has worked and is still working on this. I would say this is THE freeware aircraft of the year, at least so far. Can't wait to see what the team adds to it (including the lighting for low-light and night operations).

I am in awe of your talents, all of you. I am humbled by your willingness to do this for the community for free. Thank you.

Andrew
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Quote Originally Posted by alehead View Post
    From my understanding of the info on dc3-hangar.com, as well as the POH, my educated guess would be that there are detents. The paddles on the mixture levers would enable you to release the lever from the detent to move it to the next. With AUTO LEAN and AUTO RICH, there would be no reason for any position between these settings, the same applies to any lever positions between AUTO RICH and FULL RICH.

It would be very cool to have some form of click sound to indicate that you had reached the respective setting, if only to make it easier to judge exactly where the setting is on the various checklists (which are an exceptional tool in this aircraft).

Cheers

Andrew
    I first placed the throttles so the "Auto Rich" pointer would point about mid-way on the throttle lever...but co-pilot would not clear the checklist. So played around and found that had to move the throttles where the pointer would point to almost the very back of the lever and then he would accept they were in "Auto-Rich". No way to test "Auto-Lean" as is not on the checklist. We need some indication (a click sound would work) of when we are in Auto-Rich and Auto-Lean.

Thanks.

2) I'll pass this along.
    Very sorry to hear no pax seats version. I fly only Propliners on airline schedules and would much prefer to have a real AirStair Door with pax seats inside. When I saw on the "Monitor" window that there was a "Ramp" designation (although it is not active) I was hopeful a pax version was coming. But the whole rest of the aircraft is so outstanding I'll learn to squint my eyes so as to not see it.

Accepting that this is currently "only" a beta, there are two things that I have noticed so far that I could not find in any thread or post. I have a hardware setup currently of two separate throttle levers (a virtual-fly TQ6 is on order, yummy) on a Warthog throttle unit. The throttle levers in the VVC make a resounding "clunk" noise when they are set to full idle, 0%. However, this sound loops when I advance the right throttle lever beyond say 3 or 4%, which is necessary to tighten turns while taxiing. As soon as the left throttle lever is advanced to a similar setting, the clunk sound disappears (or when I return the right lever to its idle setting).
    The second issue concerns the sounds of the engines and propellers being linked to the throttle lever positions. Could someone maybe confirm that changing the prop rpm actually changes the sound made by the props. So far, I could not tell, as it appears to me that the sound only changes if I move the throttle levers. Maybe I am wrong here.
    Andrew
    I can add now, after a beautiful test flight across Norway from LN-WND's base in Torp to Stavanger Sola, that the odd prop lever sound click is only when the left lever is idle and the right is advanced. As soon as the left is advanced a little, the clicking stops...

My feeling is that the prop pitch levers have no effect on the engine sounds when moved...

Andrew
    Per Ardua ad Astra

My feeling is that the prop pitch levers have no effect on the engine sounds when moved...

Andrew
    Sorry, but I cannot edit my post any more.

As a complete layman in terms of addon research development, I have absolutely no idea how difficult it would be to tie the propeller noise to the prop pitch lever position. I found a rather illustrative video on Youtube that was taken in the cockpit of a Finnish DC-3. You can clearly hear and see that the pilot cycles the props at maybe 1500 or 1700rpm or so to test the governors, and you hear the propeller noise change with no change in throttle lever position during the test.
    It would be exceptionally cool to have this feature on this aircraft too, instead of the propeller sounds being linked solely to the throttle lever positions. I have no idea how it is done or what work is required. The soundset is excellent at the moment, this would be the cat's whiskers if enabled.

Andrew
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Since this is a C-47, and not a DC-3, I don't think there are any plans for a version with pax seats. She may not be a paratroop ship, but she's always a cargo ship. :-)
    I already saw here various repaints of military C-47 obviously equiped with pax seats : just one example with the Montgomery personal plane.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    A lovely job by Ted on Monties personal transport.

Anyone fancy doing another 24Sqn paint.. KG770? It's a CIII which took the King and Queen to the Channel Islands after the war.

ATB
    DaveB
    I am convinced that you will find more military C-47 which transported passengers...

Cheers

Gérard

I wasn't saying that no C-47 carried pax, just that this C-47 likely won't. That's just my sense from conversation among the developers. Things change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ted has already done an interesting job of trying to manipulate the sound files to represent variable pitch propellers and tie the sound to some extent to prop pitch within the limits of the sim. I believe he continues to work on sound and will probably chime in to tell us what is possible.

I can't replicate the throttle sound you describe. None of the beta testers reported any issue like that. Any others experience it?

There are auto-rich and auto-lean indicators on the mixture quadrant of course. I don't believe there are detents, but I will bring it up to the team. I'm not sure that such detents can or should be added to the animation since as it stands now, adjustment of mixture is still a work in progress, I believe, and may always be incremental. I believe the way some developers get around this issue is to enable the equivalent of the sim's auto-mixture option when a certain mixture setting is selected. That may be possible here, but wouldn't be different for auto-lean as from auto-rich. But I'm no developer, and so don't really know.

It's perfectly possible to replicate the real DC-3's throttle quadrant with its four detents, but requires a bit of thinking outside the box in terms of XML code to provide a convincing animation and interaction. Actual mixture as used by the flight dynamics is then handled by a systems gauge in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    It's perfectly possible to replicate the real DC-3's throttle quadrant with its four detents,
    Even the movement to lean or rich as in V2 would be good.

you can use provisional
    c window 172 window01
    copy and paste the file panel
    last number add
    Window07 = RADIO_STACK_PANEL C172

then
    do shift + 8
    and window exits
    note; It has a problem regarding ident
    but those who do not use track go
    It is advantageous to have 2D window
    -----------------------------------