Douglas C-47 V3 Beta Released - Page 23
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1315161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 V3 Beta Released

My DC3 quits inflights

I'd like to know why both engines quit after only a few minutes of flight. I took off from KNGZ and about 5~ minutes later, both engines shut down. I didn't run out of fuel and yes the cowl were open.
    See for yourself the SHIFT + 4 (monitor) screen. Every things looks to be good. This happens to me in this V3. I've never experienced this in V2. Tried to re light the engines but were unresponsive.

I can still hear the engines running while in cockpit view....strange.

Edit: I was soaring at 7000 ~ altitude and did a decent with no engines till I bounced on the ground a few times then when it went bounced off a lake, both engines came to life all on their
    own and I was back in business again, like nothing happened. I think that is strange.
    Last edited by gray eagle; August 11th, 2016 at 14:39.

Blog Entries
    Keeping an eye on your mixture? I see 100%.

Take off you should be auto rich, depending on altitude you may need to lean it up a tiny bit. Climb out may need nudging towards lean as you increase altitude, but not too lean, otherwise cooked motors. It's kind of a thin envelope, head temps will be pushing the yellow through climb. I see climb @ 1270, that's high, even with lower fuel weight than you are showing...she should climb comfortable @500-700 FPM with out pushing engines to the point of cardiac.

Once on altitude lean as required and set RPM, MAP for cruise.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Thanks for the autopsy I had crash detection set to off so when I bounced off terra firma, she came back to life and both engines just did a mulligan.
    I'll have to look at all that data you mentioned and let it soak in while soaring the wild blue yonder. Shucks, I thought I was doing well as I managed to climb to around 7K feet.
    Then, everything quit like it was saying, your done. Still don't know why I heard both engines running from the cockpit when they were not running.

Anyway, thanks "G" for the pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Keeping an eye on your mixture? I see 100%.

Take off you should be auto rich, depending on altitude you may need to lean it up a tiny bit. Climb out may need nudging towards lean as you increase altitude, but not too lean, otherwise cooked motors. It's kind of a thin envelope, head temps will be pushing the yellow through climb. I see climb @ 1270, that's high, even with lower fuel weight than you are showing...she should climb comfortable @500-700 FPM with out pushing engines to the point of cardiac.

Once on altitude lean as required and set RPM, MAP for cruise.

When I'm up, clean and comfortable.. I click on CR (on the throttle line) which will automatically pull the RPM and mixture back. A gentle climb at the value Gordon mentioned is easily achieved. I'd also have the cowl flaps closed soon after.

I've no idea how long it took you to get to 7000ft Butch but with the mixture and RPM still at 100%.. I'd say you cooked the old girl good'n'proper

ATB
    DaveB

If you click on that little bird looking thing beside the word cowls, they will be operated by the co-pilot. Your cowls should be open about a 1 at that altitude, not wide open at 8. Anything over about 6000 ft, working the mixture is important!

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Thanks for sharing this with the guys here. I have it and a lot more. There are a number of these on the web you can find for free. Check out this site for tons of information.

http://douglasdc3.com/-----free
    http://www.avialogs.com/ ----- subscription but for $9.00 for a whole month of downloading, if you compare the cost of $15.00 per manual from the other guys its a steal. They even have the C117 manuals I found nowhere else.

Keep sharing stuff, guys we all appreciate it.
    That avialogs site is one hell of a repository... Amazing! Currently, they have an offer of 2 for the price of one... subscribe for one year and get the second year free... $39 is not cheap as such, but it is the price of a higher-end add-on or scenery, and you get a goldmine of documents. Well worth thinking about thanks!

A
    Per Ardua ad Astra

DC-3 civil version

It would be intresting to hear, are there any plans to make the DC-3
    with the little tail cone, which was as far as I know, typical for civil
    airliner version.

I don't believe so. It has been stated several times that this is the C-47 model and there seems to be no intention to make a pax DC-3 version.

This might be of interest to some, came across this site regarding a C47 set on a plinth outside Niuquini Head Office Port Moresby. This was the original C47 given to General Montgomery by General Eisenhower which was registered as KN241, after the war it was used by various airlines.

http://www.michie.net/balus/pxp2anq.html

Scroll down to second plaque

http://www.michie.net/balus/p2-anq-plaques.html

Photographed at Gatwick Airport.

http://www.airteamimages.com/douglas..._-_130231.html

Regards
    Nigel.

Three exterior models

Just uploaded to the Library:

FSX/P3D C-47 V3 Three Exterior Models
    This package includes exterior only models C47v3_1 (wartime, Rebecca aerial, no beacon), C47v3_2 (post-war, tailfin beacon, minus Rebecca), and C47v3_GAF (special aerials and beacons as used by the GAF calibrator planes of the nineteen seventies). Models and paints by Manfred Jahn. They all work with the Vintage Virtual Cockpit (VVC) designed by Jan Visser et al. Previous installation Douglas_C-47_V3_12_Beta.zip or later required.

Is SOH still waiting to upload it, couldn't find it. Can you put a link to it here please for me and anyone else having trouble that would like these.

Good news!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I just wanted to say thank you for making the models. Now, I can copy over all my V2 (non-Rebecca) paints to the V3. I noticed too that with the improved model.C47_2, my tail wheel sits better on the ground. The V2 tail wheel use to look like it was low on air. The Shift + 4 (Monitor) is more responsive to the doors and step mouse click too.

Thank you very much sir.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Just uploaded to the Library:

FSX/P3D C-47 V3 Three Exterior Models
    This package includes exterior only models C47v3_1 (wartime, Rebecca aerial, no beacon), C47v3_2 (post-war, tailfin beacon, minus Rebecca), and C47v3_GAF (special aerials and beacons as used by the GAF calibrator planes of the nineteen seventies). Models and paints by Manfred Jahn. They all work with the Vintage Virtual Cockpit (VVC) designed by Jan Visser et al. Previous installation Douglas_C-47_V3_12_Beta.zip or later required.

Richard,

Unless you haven't discovered, it is available now.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...7&linkid=21741

Is SOH still waiting to upload it, couldn't find it. Can you put a link to it here please for me and anyone else having trouble that would like these.

Just Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Richard,

Unless you haven't discovered, it is available now.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...7&linkid=21741

Thank you for the link I just downloaded them and will update all MY V2 repaints.

Bear in mind, that some of the gauges from the V3 panel from and what I heard will not illuminate therefore, maybe save a few V2 paints for any night flying.

Thank you for the link I just downloaded them and will update all MY V2 repaints.

Anyone have any experience with A2A's Accu-Feel and this aircraft? Did my 2nd flight, United Airlines Flight #1 from 1942 that went from New York to Chicago (4hrs & 42mim). Seems this aircraft has a lot of it's own shakes, rattles and bumps so Accu-Feel not needed. Anyone else have an opinion?

I used Accu-Feel in some of my beta test flights, then turned it off. Found it got in the way of the native sounds. I like Accu-Feel in general but it's not needed here. The package can stand on its own.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Instruments position

Brilliant. Thank you.

However, I have one question. Is there a way to toggle IAS and ID48 gauges?
    From pictures it seems they were located like this in the real airplane.

Hope that this is the right place to post this but think it might very well be of interest. Plenty of information regarding flying of this aircraft including speeds engine settings etc and one that I find extremely helpful.

http://www.douglasdc3.com/dc3throt/dc3throt.htm

Regards
    Nigel.

Yes, a very useful site (and links to it are on the first pages of the manual).

The location of gauges are a little different on different planes. This cockpit matches a particular real aircraft, and so its gauges match those.

Quote Originally Posted by griphos View Post
    The location of gauges are a little different on different planes. This cockpit matches a particular real aircraft, and so its gauges match those.
    I wanted to say that in american airplanes, the airspeed indicator is usualy located on the upper left side of the panel. (left or right)

Brilliant Manfred, absolutely brilliant

Thanks Manfred Ive taken to the new models without a pause

Members who have read this thread: 9