Ron's 'Slowly but..let's not push it' thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron's 'Slowly but..let's not push it' thread

Ron's 'Slowly but..let's not push it' thread

Doing the trip in reverse order. Starting Dienbien to VVNB Hanoi. In the Cessna C337 Skymaster 'Don't Shoot'.

How relaxing. I ate my sandwiches, drank my coffee and stared out of the window. It's amazing what you can see at 140kts. Incidentally, did anyone else get a crash box at Dienbien? At the end of the runway with the control tower on your left. Just as you draw level with the aircraft anti blast walls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_23-24-45.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

OK. Pushing on from VVNB to VVCI.

how long have we got to finish this thing? I'm going to need every minute! I'm beginning to see the attraction of fast jets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_22-35-39.JPG  

Just want to mention: That is a cool as heck paint job! I hope it says that on the bottom of the wings too. Those things took a LOT of ground fire. Maybe it would give someone pause. Hopefully, anyway!
    Have fun low-n-slow!
    Pat☺

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Just want to mention: That is a cool as heck paint job! I hope it says that on the bottom of the wings too. Those things took a LOT of ground fire. Maybe it would give someone pause. Hopefully, anyway!
    Have fun low-n-slow!
    Pat☺
    It is one of Jankees paints and if Don't Shoot was on the underside I'm confident he would have put it there. My next leg is from VVCI to VTUW. 200 miles of hand flying! As Charlie Brown would have said.."Good grief!"

A long time from stating my intentions and carrying them out. I got put on KP.

An interesting trip, in that I was hit by quite a few 'chin dropping onto chest' moments. Scary when you pop out of a bit of shuteye to see the horizon standing upright! Even me, as the driver, was given to 'are we nearly there yet' whinges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_16-16-29.JPG  

Couple of screenies.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   4.jpg  

Great pics Ron!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

We continue...VTUW to VTUD. Hopefully!

EDIT:
    Twinkle twinkle little PAPI
    Seeing you makes me a happy chappie.

Buttery smooth landing at VTUD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_17-08-50.JPG  
    Last edited by Ron Attwood; July 17th, 2016 at 08:11.

Although the Duenna .txt says VTED!? Is this the Vietnamese playing silly buggers with their airport codes?

Happened to me too. Turns out that the two, VTED and VTUD, are essentially co-located on the same field, like Yuma has a military and civilian side on the same property, sharing runways, but the Duenna only reads one of them: VTED. Higher in alphabetical order? I dunno. Just don't feel bad about it. Same airport, alternate ICAO, hows that?
    Move along, nothing to see here

Have fun!
    Pat☺

But...VTUD won't get ticked off of 'da list'.

EDIT: Yes it has. Known issue. Thanks PRB.

Told ya so, told ya so! So there, neener

Sorry. I couldn't resist
    Pat☺

Departed the renamed VTUD for VTPI. I thought I'd leave at an hour after dawn, thinking I'd easily catch her up. No such luck though.

Weather was interesting. Very overcast to start, leading to thunder and lightning and eventually, sunny uplands. I was so convinced the airport was just beyond the next little hillock that I almost overshot it. loads of spiraling ensued(I'm terrified of stress!) and landed safely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_15-13-21.JPG  

Next stop VTBU. I've got a bloody great fan on my desk, so it'll be like flying with the window open.

At least I didn't ditch the 337 in the sea! A flight not without it's excitement. Trundling along without a care in the world. Sticking resolutely to 166 degrees.(Or thereabouts) Eventually I came upon the curly river I was keeping an eye out for. It passes through Bangkok. Keep that on my right and I'm on course. My suspicions were aroused by the quantity of curls in said river, far too many. Check Skyvector. Wrong flippin' river! A rapid readjustment of course and the coast at last.

I love coasts

On final for Pattaya I was astounded to be passed by a 747. It took me so by surpise I was a bit late with the V key.

Great fun. Landed safely behind it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 747.jpg   curlyriver.jpg  

Got greedy with images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_14-20-07.JPG  

As I don't have any traffic program I was surprised to see that 747. I've discovered where it came from. FSCloud. I've been tinkering with it and it seems to start up when FSX starts. I hope it doesn't interfere with Duenna etc.

Pattaya VTBU to VTUN (or VTUQ, depending on what the Duenna thinks is Khorat)

Another leg ticked off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_14-22-14.JPG  

Off to the next one VTUU. I've decided to make my first waypoint(that's to say my first recognition point) a lake about 42nm out. If I find that I'll set another course for another lake 67nm away. It takes me out of my way a bit but it's 150nm of featureless bleh. We'll see how well it works.
    See ya.
    Last edited by Ron Attwood; July 21st, 2016 at 10:00. Reason: grammar

That worked well....Up to a point! The point where I got lost. made it to the first lake. 'check'. Made it to the second lake. 'check'. The big ol' river that winds around VTUU should be easy to spot, yes? Not when a fog came down when Opus refreshed the weather. Go lower, I went lower and eventually, it seemed like a lifetime, I found her. Follow it round the big bend then peel off left and there should be an airport. Tada! Thank God that's over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_20-19-25.JPG  

This next leg should be a breeze. Set a course of 076 degrees (or thereabouts) and keep going till I reach the sea. Next find a piece of coastline I recognise and turn left or right accordingly. That's the theory anyway.

Oh, VtUU to VVDN.

Theory good. Bit of a delay getting away because of squally conditions in the household.(We've got to go shopping/we've got to clean the house/Fred and Mabel are coming round. You know the sort of thing)

Landed safely at VVDN Da Nang. Off to meet Roman for a beer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_16-00-06.JPG  

Members who have read this thread: 0