Modifications for the Sky Simulations DC-9 v2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modifications for the Sky Simulations DC-9 v2

Modifications for the Sky Simulations DC-9 v2

A few fixes and enhancements for the Sky Simulation DC-9 v2 series.

Disclaimer:
    You will not receive support from Sky Simulations when using these mods!

Requires an installation of the v2 release with SP1.

Compatibility with the P3D version is not guaranteed and will not be supported.

Will not work in the FS9 and v1 releases.

Content:

• Rebuilt and enhanced cockpit sound environment
    • New GPWS system
    • New first officer callouts
    • Load/save module with autosave/load functionality
    • Various rebuilt or bugfixed instruments
    • Rebuilt systems files
    • Realistic autopilot speed hold modes
    • Realistic autothrottle handling
    • Realistic fuel and hydraulic systems including expanded failure modes
    • Aircraft manager for loading, saving and paload/fuel/door handling
    • "Smart" air speed indicator
    • More realistic engine spooling for all models
    • Various other bug fixes and enhancements

Download:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...Wl5OVNHVGxncDA

READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND READ THEM VERY, VERY WELL!

In case anyone wants to return the favor: I'll take any livery from a US airline in the 1980s.

Thanks for the heads up, Bjoern. I had previously bought the initial version, but had held off purchasing V2.

Just bought it, and will download in a day or so. My question is will the update you posted about be already included in the download?

Thanks. Pete

This modification is created by Bjoern and not by the developers of the DC-9. When you download the plane you will need to install this update that brings more "reality" to it if you like. The work in this update is done by Bjoern and kindly shared with us.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Quote Originally Posted by flaviossa View Post
    This modification is created by Bjoern and not by the developers of the DC-9. When you download the plane you will need to install this update that brings more "reality" to it if you like. The work in this update is done by Bjoern and kindly shared with us.
    Thanks for the info NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Just bought it, and will download in a day or so. My question is will the update you posted about be already included in the download?
    No. Don't worry about SP1 though as the installer provides the most current version.

Thanks Bjoern! Have always liked this plane. Your mods are always appreciated.

-steve

Downloaded V2 from Simmarket. Looking forward to installing tomorrow and flying! NC

Thank you Bjoern for your valuable work !

Thanks.

Someone mentioned that the flight director pitch adjust knob works backwards. Can anyone confirm?

(Pitch knob working as intended.)

The download link contains a new revision, by the way.

Highlights:

• Rebuilt and much more useful digital clock
    • Fuel flow and fuel used indicators now in PPH and LBS (metric indications are retained in the tooltips)
    • Almost entirely new GPWS convering all modes and using priority sorting
    • More robust flap callout logic
    • New wind sounds

Upgrading:

Delete "Callouts_GPWS_Crew" and "SkySims_DC9_Mods" as well as any save files for the DC-9 in the main FSX folder (sorry!) and then copy install as per readme instructions (sans aircraft.cfg related instructions as these files were not changed in this revision).

New version.

• Modified oil pressure gauges with more realistic indications
    • Fixed panel.cfg entry for the caution light
    • Added tooltip to the 2D vertical speed selector wheel
    • Autopilot servos are now required for AP operation
    • Better vertical speed hold logic
    • Much better speed/mach hold controllers
    • Autopilot master switch will disengage auto throttle
    • Fixed inoperable reversers (Powerbacks!)
    • Added optional configuration files for Skyhigh’s “PW JT8D Madness X” soundset

Download, as usual:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...ew?usp=sharing

Anybody know if this is the same aircraft marketed by F1 DC9with McPhat paints? The reason I ask is I cannot or could not tell the difference but have been unable to reload the Sky Simulations version as it will not recognise my key code etc and I have been unable to get any assistance or response from Sky Simulations. So I am using the F1 DC-9.

No, it's not the CoolSky version.
    Regards,
    Nick

Thanks, I will stick with the Cool Sky version it works fine.

Not sure if the installer is the same, but the JustFlight version worked without a hitch.

There also seem to be two different support e-mail addresses (support@sky... on the SkySims homepage and vans@sky... on Simmarket). Or maybe try to contact the JF staff and inquire about the installers there or ask if and how the dev team can be contacted nowadays.

It's quite a shame that the add-on is so unpopular. The models may not be as pretty and or as complex as the Coolsky one, but the bird is a hoot and a half to fly and operate.
    Wish I had more time and motivation to paint it.

Bjoern - For reasons unknown I think it is the aircraft the DC-9 that is not popular yet they were widely used all over the world and fondly remembered as pocket rockets by their crews. I guess it is one of those aircraft that gets overlooked because it just worked as advertised and was not really advertised. The reason I shifted to the Cool Sky version was the more realistic systems and texture quality and it had Australian Airline Ansett McPhat livery. Liveries for any DC-9 have been problematic but when I checked last night there were at least 44 now up for the Cool Sky whereas I can find hardly any for the Sky Simulations version which was my initial problem, while I am happy to tinker with the working stuff repainting is not my thing and I don't do that very well so I am a sucker for aircraft where I can get the livery I would like or want.

Glad to see your doing these upgrades on the Sky Simulations version, I did like the fact that it offered a grey or a green cockpit as a choice and generally found it to be a solid reliable sim model but alas their product support was non existant and after multiple efforts to get assistance so I could reinstall the model (because of a major hardware failure on my PC) I could not get any help whatsoever so ditched it. Which is a shame because it did offer different versions not just the DC9-30. The repaint issue is a really nuisance because as it is not popular few repaint it and if you could find someone who would do it they cannot because they do not have the model to do it. A TAA (Trans Australian Airlines) repaint for the DC-9 is still on my bucket list for flight sim.

I am now officially totally confused. Are there 3 DC9's

If so which between Coolsky, Just Flight and Flight 1 is the one to get?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I think there are only two.

One is the Coolsky version which I have.
    It is marketed only through the Flight 1 wrapper system.
    I can recommend the DC-9 but not necessarily the Flight 1 wrapper system which seems to
    be designed to stop legitimate owners from accessing their software more than once.

The other is the Sky Simulations version which is marketed through both simMarket and
    Just Flight.
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    I think there are only two.

One is the Coolsky version which I have.
    It is marketed only through the Flight 1 wrapper system.
    I can recommend the DC-9 but not necessarily the Flight 1 wrapper system which seems to
    be designed to stop legitimate owners from accessing their software more than once.

The other is the Sky Simulations version which is marketed through both simMarket and
    Just Flight.
    Not to hijack Bjoerns thread on updates but there are two payware DC-9s as Nick says and there is an old 2004 freeware version about by SGA (I think that is what it was called) and there have been some VC updates for it done as well (borrowing the MD80 freeware stuff about).

I agree with Nick re Flight1 wrapper system and well generally their whole so called e-commerce web site, it has caused me untold frustration and emails to get anything simple done, like updates too two days to work my through their labyrinth of this page then that page then this form then that form, just diabolical, in fact I hate it. That being said SkySimulations just don't repond at all well not to me anyway.

They are both good FSX sim models but the the CoolSky is a very advanced sim model with all sorts of added in stuff to the point once you get used to it all you would have no trouble with the real thing at all, including emergencies, so it takes a bit of time to really come to grips with which as we know is not to everybody's taste, if you just want to start and go. The SkySimulations was not far behind either as far as realism is concerned and in the VC department I found it hard to tell the difference to the point that I actually thought the CoolSky product was a redone SkySimulations aircraft, maybe, maybe not. There are a few oldies that have come back under other names via companies and the original designers getting together to re-do them for FSX.

Thanks for clearing that up. I will a) Check out the SGA with VC first and see how that goes. But the accuracy of the F1 one intrigues me so I may well plump for that after. Personally never really had a problem with F1 (apart from the LD 767 and that is only because it doesn't work in W10) other than that I have found that they issue a 3 install licence which can be easily recharged once they have been exhausted. Maybe their policy has changed since I last installed their stuff as I mostly own FS9 stuff through them.
    Thanks again. Apologies for the waffling.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I'll allow off-topic talk if it culminates in happy Sky Simulation DC-9 captains and long and wide praise for my work.

Just tested the DC-9's (v2.1) installer on my laptop twice. Downloaded it from JustFlight, ran it, entered the registration information (name without spaces, e-mail address, country, key) and selected any of the configuration options (panel color and aspect ratio). It worked each and every time and installed to a temporary folder.

Installer activity can be logged by running the .exe from command line (in the same folder) with ""SKYDC-9_FSX_v2_Setup" /L*V "example.log"". It will generate a huge text file but maybe it'll provide clues as to where things go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Bjoern - For reasons unknown I think it is the aircraft the DC-9 that is not popular yet they were widely used all over the world and fondly remembered as pocket rockets by their crews. I guess it is one of those aircraft that gets overlooked because it just worked as advertised and was not really advertised. The reason I shifted to the Cool Sky version was the more realistic systems and texture quality and it had Australian Airline Ansett McPhat livery. Liveries for any DC-9 have been problematic but when I checked last night there were at least 44 now up for the Cool Sky whereas I can find hardly any for the Sky Simulations version which was my initial problem, while I am happy to tinker with the working stuff repainting is not my thing and I don't do that very well so I am a sucker for aircraft where I can get the livery I would like or want.

Glad to see your doing these upgrades on the Sky Simulations version, I did like the fact that it offered a grey or a green cockpit as a choice and generally found it to be a solid reliable sim model but alas their product support was non existant and after multiple efforts to get assistance so I could reinstall the model (because of a major hardware failure on my PC) I could not get any help whatsoever so ditched it. Which is a shame because it did offer different versions not just the DC9-30. The repaint issue is a really nuisance because as it is not popular few repaint it and if you could find someone who would do it they cannot because they do not have the model to do it. A TAA (Trans Australian Airlines) repaint for the DC-9 is still on my bucket list for flight sim.
    I do understand why the Coolsky model is more popular than the Sky Simulations offering, but the latter offers the entire range of model versions and is more straight to the point, which is more important to me. Watched a video of the Coolsky model yesterday and minus the learning center and configurationpanels, normal operation is just about as complex on the Sky bird. There was also a mention that the Coolsky rendition is heavier on the framerate.

The lack of customer support is a real shame though.

Bjoern - agree completely re the better range of types for the Sky Simulations version. I had a small project in mind to SAS flights throughout the North (especially Norway and Sweden) in it but that came to a halt after huge amount of scenery downloading. MIght have another crack at customer support. I will keep these mods in mind.

Yep the CoolSky is heavy of FPS but that is only a real problem in dense scenery areas, large cities with complex autogen and if I have REX running, but that is common to everything I fly in FSX. Cheers.

Had a short chat with Martyn, the local JustFlight representative, and he said that the installers available from JF were distributed by SkySimulations. This means that SimMarket *should* have the same installers available.
    It was also mentioned that the last contact with the developer (almost one year ago though) was done from the vans@sky... e-mail address, so that might be the best way to receive support - if he responds.

Not sure how I can help out any further. Generally, installers with an online component must not be blocked by firewall settings or anti-virus programs and be run with administrator privilieges (if using a normal Windows account).

Does the installer from SimMarket ask for name, e-mail address, country and registration key (in that order)?
    Is there any error message when the installer stops working?

Bjoern - I went back to Sim Market and raised the issue again. Reply today was that to put in the correct key etc., which I have done, the error message I get is fail to validate.php which means to me that it cannot contact or transact with the server to which the key unlocking wrapper is trying to communicate. SimMarket said contact the developer SkySimulations. So I am back to the top of the circle again. No issue with the data entered it just won't contact the address hidden in the wrapper script I guess, which has probably changed as it was 2012 that I purchased the aircraft.

Thanks for your help, I am not inclined to buy it again (For the above reasons) as I have the Cool Sky version and I have the DC-9-30 SAS so that is ok with me. Again I appreciate your help and input.

Members who have read this thread: 1