Modifications for the Sky Simulations DC-9 v2 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modifications for the Sky Simulations DC-9 v2

Hi, i had this error too. What i did was just to donwload again the V2 installers (FSX and P3D) from simmarket and the error vanished. The old method witch contained a server validation is no more and now it just asks for some local information as Bjoern said above. I suggest to download again all the installers.
    Last edited by flaviossa; March 9th, 2017 at 09:07.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    No issue with the data entered it just won't contact the address hidden in the wrapper script I guess, which has probably changed as it was 2012 that I purchased the aircraft.
    2012, eh? So you basically have v1 which was/is marketed as an entirely different product. Version 2 was released in 2015, but the upgrade from the previous version wasn't free (~$20). If Simmarket didn't fix the v1 installers at one point, the problem with the non-responding activation server is most likely unsolvable. Not the best product support policy if you ask me.

My mods only work with v2.1, so you wouldn't be able to use them in the first place. So better stick to the Coolsky rendition instead of wasting time with something that's ultimately broken.

As you may have noticed (or not), SP2 for the FSX release of the DC-9 v2 has been out for a few days.
    http://skysimulations.com/

I, of course, dug through the code and found out that some of the fixes are from my mod package, such as the PID controller for the AP's speed hold mode, extended hydraulic failures and fixes to K: var spam. They even incorporated my first officer, albeit with a different voice set. So much for the humbling part.

The disappointing part is that long standing bugs, mentioned in my readme, such as the inop fuel heat switches in the VC, the mismapped auxiliary tank gauge in the later models and the clumsy handling of the temperature selectors are still present.
    And to be really nitpicky, I'd love to have the models reflect the subtle structural differences of each version (no anhedral on the vstab of the -10, different wing-body-fairing on the later -30s, 40s and 50s, angled reversers on the -50s) instead of being a lengthened and shortened -30. But that's wishful thinking and will definitely require an e-mail to the devs and a bit of convincing.

One, more or less major, new feature in SP2 is 3D light effects for the nav, beacon and strobe lights. I like it since it does away with the "floating light" bug of the .fx lights.

Take note that the DC-9 still isn't P3Dv4 ready, but...

I'm working on a new mod release. The three .gau files used by the DC-9 contain nothing but the 2D panel night lighting and engine instruments, all of which I've managed to recreate for one flavor of DC-9 so far in XML, which means that the aircraft may be used in 64bit sims (once XMLTools64's XMLTable bug is ironed out). Note, and write this down if need be, that use in P3Dv4 will be at your own risk. I don't own it, so I can't support it.

Other changes to the mods so far...

Electrics: APU/GPU provides real electricity. Electric system handling modified to bring it in line with the real thing, i.e. no requirement for the battery if the GPU is plugged in, emergency power for supplying AC from the DC battery and other minor things.
    Fuel: One of the bigger items. Fuel management has been brought in line with the real DC-9. Fuel can be transferred from the aux tank to the mains, crossfeeding requiring a proper fuel pump configuration, the center tank pumps overpowering the wing tank pumps...oh, and the APU uses fuel now. But only from the right wing tank, which requires a bit of crossfeed management if you don't want to bust the 1000 lbs imbalance limit for the wing tanks.
    Engines: The EPR gauges have been rebuilt, you won't see those weird values of less than one anymore (which, I think, will only occur during compressor stalls). Hung starts (too little fuel pressure) are implemented.
    Panels: Night lighting for the 2D main panels has been restored and the night lighting for the 2D overhead has been fixed. The EPR/RAT instrument's indications may now be sent directly to the EPR bugs, even automatically and appropraite to the current flight status if desired (less workload, more realistic engine handling).
    Pneumatic system: Engine starters will now lower available pneumatic pressure.
    Sounds: A few more cockpit sounds, especially for some levers.

And some other minor things I have forgotten.

As mentioned above, implementing the changes into the other panel variations (16 in total!) will take some time.
    Also on the bucket list is a crude battery simulation to provide more time for ground ops, an expanded EGT system with hot starts (fuel valve open+starter off+pumps on = barbecue) and at least thermal stress tracking.

I'm still considering whether to send the -9s to the FDE shop or not. They just climb too well near the edge of their envelope* and the N1 indications need to be brought in line with the real JT8D. But this is a whole other can of worms and will require a lot of time...or at least a visit home to fetch the 727's tables and data.

*At the same thrust to weight ratio, a 727 will struggle to attain its cruise alt in the low to mid 30s with vertical speed slowed to a crawl and a realistic EPR-driven power setting. Currently, the DC-9, same t/w ratio, clocks in at 1000+ fpm at 36000 ft, also using realistic EPR-driven power settings. Unless proven otherwise by a real Nine driver or other real data, I consider this excessive.

Note:
    Even after I'll be done, you'll be better off with the Coolsky version if you want to click ALL switches in the cockpit, important or not. The SkySims model focuses just on the important things. Can't stress this enough.

Icon9 P3D?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    As you may have noticed (or not), SP2 for the FSX release of the DC-9 v2 has been out for a few days.
    http://skysimulations.com/

I, of course, dug through the code and found out that some of the fixes are from my mod package, such as the PID controller for the AP's speed hold mode, extended hydraulic failures and fixes to K: var spam. They even incorporated my first officer, albeit with a different voice set. So much for the humbling part.

The disappointing part is that long standing bugs, mentioned in my readme, such as the inop fuel heat switches in the VC, the mismapped auxiliary tank gauge in the later models and the clumsy handling of the temperature selectors are still present.
    And to be really nitpicky, I'd love to have the models reflect the subtle structural differences of each version (no anhedral on the vstab of the -10, different wing-body-fairing on the later -30s, 40s and 50s, angled reversers on the -50s) instead of being a lengthened and shortened -30. But that's wishful thinking and will definitely require an e-mail to the devs and a bit of convincing.

One, more or less major, new feature in SP2 is 3D light effects for the nav, beacon and strobe lights. I like it since it does away with the "floating light" bug of the .fx lights.

Take note that the DC-9 still isn't P3Dv4 ready, but...

I'm working on a new mod release. The three .gau files used by the DC-9 contain nothing but the 2D panel night lighting and engine instruments, all of which I've managed to recreate for one flavor of DC-9 so far in XML, which means that the aircraft may be used in 64bit sims (once XMLTools64's XMLTable bug is ironed out). Note, and write this down if need be, that use in P3Dv4 will be at your own risk. I don't own it, so I can't support it.

Other changes to the mods so far...

Electrics: APU/GPU provides real electricity. Electric system handling modified to bring it in line with the real thing, i.e. no requirement for the battery if the GPU is plugged in, emergency power for supplying AC from the DC battery and other minor things.
    Fuel: One of the bigger items. Fuel management has been brought in line with the real DC-9. Fuel can be transferred from the aux tank to the mains, crossfeeding requiring a proper fuel pump configuration, the center tank pumps overpowering the wing tank pumps...oh, and the APU uses fuel now. But only from the right wing tank, which requires a bit of crossfeed management if you don't want to bust the 1000 lbs imbalance limit for the wing tanks.
    Engines: The EPR gauges have been rebuilt, you won't see those weird values of less than one anymore (which, I think, will only occur during compressor stalls). Hung starts (too little fuel pressure) are implemented.
    Panels: Night lighting for the 2D main panels has been restored and the night lighting for the 2D overhead has been fixed. The EPR/RAT instrument's indications may now be sent directly to the EPR bugs, even automatically and appropraite to the current flight status if desired (less workload, more realistic engine handling).
    Pneumatic system: Engine starters will now lower available pneumatic pressure.
    Sounds: A few more cockpit sounds, especially for some levers.

And some other minor things I have forgotten.

As mentioned above, implementing the changes into the other panel variations (16 in total!) will take some time.
    Also on the bucket list is a crude battery simulation to provide more time for ground ops, an expanded EGT system with hot starts (fuel valve open+starter off+pumps on = barbecue) and at least thermal stress tracking.

I'm still considering whether to send the -9s to the FDE shop or not. They just climb too well near the edge of their envelope* and the N1 indications need to be brought in line with the real JT8D. But this is a whole other can of worms and will require a lot of time...or at least a visit home to fetch the 727's tables and data.

*At the same thrust to weight ratio, a 727 will struggle to attain its cruise alt in the low to mid 30s with vertical speed slowed to a crawl and a realistic EPR-driven power setting. Currently, the DC-9, same t/w ratio, clocks in at 1000+ fpm at 36000 ft, also using realistic EPR-driven power settings. Unless proven otherwise by a real Nine driver or other real data, I consider this excessive.

Note:
    Even after I'll be done, you'll be better off with the Coolsky version if you want to click ALL switches in the cockpit, important or not. The SkySims model focuses just on the important things. Can't stress this enough.
    Hi!

Are your fixes compatible with the the P3D v4 version? I have a bug in the autopilot where the plane wont hold altitude. The VS wheel goes from -100 ft direct to +100 ft. No 0 in between.

Any help much apreciated. Sorry if question posted in wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Hi!

Are your fixes compatible with the the P3D v4 version? I have a bug in the autopilot where the plane wont hold altitude. The VS wheel goes from -100 ft direct to +100 ft. No 0 in between.

Any help much apreciated. Sorry if question posted in wrong place.
    I don't know if there's any difference between the FSX and P3Dv4 release apart from recompiled gauges.
    If not, and if you replace the XML sound gauge with the 64bit version and install the 64bit XMLTools, the mods might work.

Members who have read this thread: 1