CavalierDuck's Phantom Phlight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CavalierDuck's Phantom Phlight

CavalierDuck's Phantom Phlight

Time to get this started. VVTS to VVNT, Milviz Phantom, FSX Acceleration, ASN weather.

Phirst phlight's in the bank. Arrived VVNT. A few clouds and rain showers while going low over the hills caused a few nervous moments, but otherwise a straightforward flight.

Can someone tell me how to avoid the multiple images?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_21-43-07.JPG  

I could, but then I'd have to kill you.

SOH-CM-2017

Icon26

Quote Originally Posted by CavalierDuck View Post
    Can someone tell me how to avoid the multiple images?
    Just do the insert online from the manage attachements, but don't use the "insert image" on the post options.
    Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

And please also attach the Duenna textfile as well. (We use that to transfer your data over to the scoring system.)
    Thanks, Nick.
    -Mike

Yes, sorry, I realised later that I probably needed the text file as well, here it is:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yeah, thick, low clouds make terrain hopping a real adventure! I've run into that a couple of times on flights around SEA in the F-111. Sudden pulls, sharp dives, the G stress is a real adventure! Add in tight turns around hills you don't want to climb over...whew!

I used to work on Phantoms, back in the day, when VMFAT-101 had Phantoms, and was in Yuma. Later they went to Miramar, and transitioned to F/A-18's. The ONLY good thing I liked about Yuma, was that El Centro was just under an hour away, on the freeway. Given the weather in Yuma (what weather???), I could ride my motorcycle over on weekends and watch the Blue Angels winter practice. They had Phantoms back then too, which were AWESOME to watch (and hear!)! Then they went to A-4's, which is a lousy bird for them, IMO.
    Just a quick note, and I don't know if it's modeled into the plane you're flying, but the Phantom had a little quirk, that was almost always phatal to the bird, at least. The horizontal stab's hyd actuator, if it got just a little dirt in it, would program the stab full up as soon as the Weight On Wheels switch deactivated. Stick full aft, too, which made pilots happy they had the face curtain to reach for. No way they were reaching the lower handle with the stick in the way. I actually saw it one day when I was outside taking a break. He got it off the deck, and went straight up, stalled, and came straight down, all right on the base. Only ejection I ever saw personally, thank goodness.
    My shop had to determine what parts of the radar could be saved. Not many, let me tell you!

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Looks like a fun plane! Good luck with the lead-sled
    Pat☺

Vvnt - vvpc

Weather's nice in Vietnam today, clear skies and a bit of tailwind if you're heading north....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_21-38-55.JPG  

Vvpc - vvdn

Leaving VVPC for VVDN Danang. Hope I can still get in to SOH to post my Duenna after....!

FlightLog_22-28-52.TXT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_22-28-52.JPG  
    Last edited by CavalierDuck; July 22nd, 2016 at 13:44.

VVDN to VVCI

Leaving Danang for Catbi.

Arrived at VVCI Catbi. 32 minutes to do the flight, 8 hours to get into SOH to post the Duenna!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_10-08-22.JPG  

Vvci - vvnb

Departing Catbi for the short hop to VVNB.

Landed; a few nervous moments when I lost the runway just a few miles out due to haze.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_21-56-44.JPG  

Wow that F-4J Phantom II is really fast!!
    Greg :USA-flag:

Vvnb - vvdb

... and straight on to Dienbien.

Landed - going M0.99 through hills in low vis haze certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat! Fortunately wasn't too bad as I approached Dienbien.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_22-25-41.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Paul View Post
    Wow that F-4J Phantom II is really fast!!
    Certainly is!! At low altitudes it flies about M0.98 with the engines running 100% and no reheat, so if you keep the afterburners off it's quite easy to get it up to speed but not break the speed limit for this event. And Milviz did such a great job with the model I'm having a blast learning and flying it.

Yeah, the Lead Sled is a great example of "You put enough power behind a brick, you can get it to fly". Let it stall though, well, I hope you have plenty of altitude! It has the glideslope of a rock...
    It leaks like a sieve too. Pick a fluid, it leaks it!
    But no matter what, I love the Phunky Phantom! Did you know the intakes are just the right size for a nap? And I won't get into the newbi prank down at Hi-Power...

Enjoy it!
    Pat☺

Vvdb - vtud

Leaving Vietnam now, heading for Udon Thani, Thailand.

Arrived in Thailand. Some low cloud around in the hills through Laos so I took a slightly higher road over the top. From what I could see below, it looked like a good decision.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_20-16-35.JPG  

Vtud - vtuw

Departing VTUD for VTUW. Weather partly cloudy.

Arrived, no probs. Kept low under the clouds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_19-20-56.JPG  

Vtuw-vtuu

Continuing on to VTUU.

Landed safely. Had to go over the tops of the clouds for the first part of the flight after the base came down. Very relieved when it cleared out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_19-51-17.JPG  

Vtuu - vtun

Leaving VTUU for VTUN.

Arrived, weather got a bit crappy but found the airport OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_10-48-31.JPG  

Vtun - vtpi

Leaving VTUN for VTPI.

Landed, nice flight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_10-05-27.JPG  

Vtpi - vtbu

And finally... VTPI to VTBU.

Arrived at VTBU... all done! Off to the bar then the beach
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_10-34-07.JPG  

As some photos were requested...

On the final leg from VTPI to VTBU. The Phantom that wore this particular scheme was based in Danang from 1966.

A few more from enroute:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-7-31_9-56-9-546.jpg   2016-7-31_9-55-58-240.jpg   2016-7-31_9-55-11-375.jpg   2016-7-31_10-24-42-281.jpg   2016-7-31_10-18-58-986.jpg   2016-7-31_10-36-42-803.jpg  

2016-7-31_10-35-57-12.jpg  

Passing Bangkok airport:

On final approach into VTBU...

... and touchdown!

By the end of the event I was getting the hang of landing the Phantom, touchdowns were becoming less violent!

I've never spent much time with jet fighters in flight sim previously, but this Milviz Phantom has converted me. I've been surprised by how much I've enjoyed learning and flying it, I can see myself spending a lot of hours in this aircraft in future. This event came at just the right time, as I'd been starting to play with this and a few other military jets but this forced me to get serious and learn one properly. A big thank you to the organisers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-7-31_10-36-42-803.jpg   2016-7-31_10-24-42-281.jpg   2016-7-31_10-35-57-12.jpg  

Phabulous run Nick!
    Roman

Members who have read this thread: 0