CavalierDuck's Phantom Phlight - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CavalierDuck's Phantom Phlight

I just wish they could get the terrain mapping function to show on the LRU-9 there in the front cockpit. It is a real help (when the radar is working, anyway!) to TF type flight. The Aero-1A radar was very reliable, but then they went to AWG-10A and reliability went through the floor. We were working every Duty Section weekend, trying to get at least SOME of the ex-reps out so they would have enough planes on Monday for the flight schedule. But that was after the War ended, so it wasn't so bad. Then came the AWG-10B and then C, and we were SO relieved! The reliability was great after that. I aint afraid of no HAWG!
    When I was stationed in VMFA-333, VMFA-232 there was our "sister squadron", at least until the F/A-18 came out. They were two of the last squadrons to transition, although good ol' 101, where I spent most of my enlistment, I believe was right up there with the last few squadrons too.
    Great shots, though, and wonderful race! Well done, or, as we used to say, Sierra Hotel!
    Pat☺

Great job, Nick!
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

A big Navy Bravo Zulu, CD!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Top man Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    I just wish they could get the terrain mapping function to show on the LRU-9 there in the front cockpit. It is a real help (when the radar is working, anyway!) to TF type flight. The Aero-1A radar was very reliable, but then they went to AWG-10A and reliability went through the floor. We were working every Duty Section weekend, trying to get at least SOME of the ex-reps out so they would have enough planes on Monday for the flight schedule. But that was after the War ended, so it wasn't so bad. Then came the AWG-10B and then C, and we were SO relieved! The reliability was great after that. I aint afraid of no HAWG!
    When I was stationed in VMFA-333, VMFA-232 there was our "sister squadron", at least until the F/A-18 came out. They were two of the last squadrons to transition, although good ol' 101, where I spent most of my enlistment, I believe was right up there with the last few squadrons too.
    Great shots, though, and wonderful race! Well done, or, as we used to say, Sierra Hotel!
    Pat☺
    Pat, thanks for adding this bit of info -quite cool to find that there's a link between the RW version of the aircraft I flew and one of the other participants in the event. I'm glad I spent a little time finding a paint scheme that had some detail of it's RW counterpart's involvement in Vietnam.

I found some video of Nick on his final leg, doing a little show off before landing...

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

It's a shame.. The 2 Phantoms at OSH were "QFs" - Target Drones, slated for destruction w/ a nice paint job. From what has been gathered, OSH was the last time a F-4 will be on an airshow display anywhere in America.

WTH is a Garmin doing in the cockpit! - Nice vid Paul.
    Roman

Save the phantom!

Save the Remaining QF-4 Phantom IIs that have a Paint Scheme - http://chn.ge/2aqH8Wj
    Roman

Members who have read this thread: 0