The ALPHASIM F8F Bearcat revisited

Thread: The ALPHASIM F8F Bearcat revisited

The ALPHASIM F8F Bearcat revisited

It never ceases to amaze me how good the old Alphasim models look when given some better textures. After all these years there must be some basic qualities in these models. The P51 and P47 f.ex. are still among the best.

So I wanted to do a French Indo China package since these were the only ones used in combat. (But I did a mandatory US version too.) First I increased the stock 512 bitmaps to 1024 to show more details. An improved widescreen panel is a must. I saw some older posts about the non functioning VC so I didn't bother about that.

Like others have discovered there is some strange things with this MDL. It is an FS9 model (supposedly), it features a dynamic shine . But it is not possible to manipulate colors etc materialwise. If you load it into Martin Wright's MDLMat it will fail. I even asked Martin about this and he said looking at the hex that this must be some very (very) old MDL using the old FS Design Studio or AF99. It is in the old format used before MS started releasing the proper SDK tools to the public. Hence it is not a DirectX RIFF module so doesn't use materials. The old format is completely different in the way it works.

Anyway, the F8F looks terrific despite this.

cheers
    Morton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F8F panel.jpg   F8F-b.jpg   F8F-c.jpg   F8F-d.jpg   F8F-e.jpg   F8F-f.jpg  

F8F-aa.jpg   F8F-aaa.jpg  

ALPHA_F8F-1_Indo-China.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - France

Description: The Alphasim in French Indo China textures. 5 versions, new wide panel etc

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit ALPHA_F8F-1_Indo-China.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

ALPHA_F8F-1_VF3_USS_Randolph.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: The Alphasim F8F Bearcat in new texures etc.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit ALPHA_F8F-1_VF3_USS_Randolph.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon22 Reply...

Morton,

You did an outstanding job on these, thank you for all of your efforts!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

My word, superb renditions.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post

DITTO ...especially that VF3 job!

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Thanks mate. Some hours tinkering to get it right..

Mort

Blog Entries

Absolutely great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Morton View Post
    Thanks mate. Some hours tinkering to get it right..

Mort
    Most assuredly a really fine rendition that makes this old model come to life again... Nice panel rendition too...
    Compliments...

G.

Morton,

Thanks very much for the new skins. I use about 15 - 20 AlphaSim planes in my Southeast Asia install (including a skin you did for my by request for their F-105D), they are nice looking, and functional planes AND get great frame rates on my old laptop!

Very kind regards,

TW
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

Morton,
    Absolutely stunning! Excellent rendition. The new panel and pilot fix works in nicely. I'm gratified that you took my "crayola" renderings and turned them into a work of art. Thank you, for putting these out there for all to enjoy.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

These look great! Thank you Morton.

msfossey

Maybe add a Navy set? Easy now when i have the blanks. I usually make blanks texture first so if anyone want them for the F8F or for any other aircraft just ask.

Members who have read this thread: 1