Summer Race Event 2016 - Registration Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer Race Event 2016 - Registration Thread

Summer Race Event 2016 - Registration Thread

Make your event registration posts here.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

If I show you mine, will you show me yours?

There I was cruising along in the Virtavia "Ford" off the coast of SE Asia in FSX SE and had a fuel crisis and had to land. Got on the ground and next thing I knew officials from US Embassy Defense Attaches were handing me a map and telling me I had to go to all these airports in SE Asia as fast as I could get to them without breaking Mach 1. This should be interesting!

(Repaint of VF-213 #314 circa 1958 flown off of my old ship, the Lexington during a WestPac deployment)

ETA: The repaint is a work in progress that I should have finished in the next few days. Still has a few "squawks" to work off on it.

ETA 2: Forgot to add that I'll be using default Real Wx.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Howdy,

I will be flying, if OK, Piglet's Douglas A-1 Skyraider, FSX, with MS weather. Win, lose or draw, just going to have fun!

Jim

SOH-CM-2017

Navigat'n round 'Nam in a North American Piston

Ok, This ought to be interesting. I got to find my way around using nobs with numbers and looking at needles and stuff. What could go wrong.

Flying Ant's T-28D Trojan in P3D V3.2 using ASN weather.

Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

Very interesting selections so far. The radial engines outnumber the kerosene burners by two to one!
    HP Reverb G2

Entering the Alphasim F111 in FSX using default real weather.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-6-21_10-25-39-615.jpg  

I shall try the Vought F-8J using Active Sky Next weather. (This is the AlphaSim FS9 version, now freeware, ported-over to FSX. The FDE has been tweaked by Pam Brooker and Don Bodenstedt.)

First flown in 1955 and introduced to the fleet in 1957, the Crusader was widely recognized as one of the world's best air superiority aircraft. The Crusader established a reputation as a fighter pilot's airplane and over Vietnam built a superb "kill-ratio" of 19:3 over the VPAF MiGs. (Despite it's moniker of "The Last of the Gunfighters", all but one of its victories involved air-to-air missiles.) As the pilots would say, "When you're out of F-8s, you're out of fighters."

(Vought maintained another company tradition. Like the F4U Corsair, the F-8 Crusader was a challenge bring onto a boat and shared the familiar sobriquet "Ensign Eliminator.")

During the pause of the air war in 1968, both the USAF and the USN conducted a review of the surprisingly poor performance of American pilots against the MiG-17 and MiG-21. The services drew different conclusions. The USAF saw it as a technology problem and developed better cannons for air combat and better radar for situational awareness. The Navy concluded that the problem stemmed from inadequate training in ACM. Encouraged by the Crusader community, in 1969 the Navy established the Fighter Weapons School (Topgun) which revitalized and disseminated fighter expertise throughout the fleet. After the war, observing the Navy's success, the USAF established their own advanced fighter tactics school.

This is old-fashioned flying…none of that push-button radar and INS stuff.
    -Mike

Now that's a fine looking air machine. And "pointy" too... So instead of the INS, you'll be relying on the IFR system then...
    HP Reverb G2

PS. Henk Schuitemaker has built an excellent FSX-native version of the AlphaSim F-8. (Willy, thanks for the heads-up.) I shall be using that model as it is much smoother in FSX.
    --M
    -Mike

Decided to change to something that actually flew missions in SE Asia. T-33A 53-5347 used in Operation Field Goal in 1961 to make recon flights over Laos and Vietnam. The International Committee (ICC) over the partition and reunification of Vietnam wouldn't allow overflights of combat aircraft. The USAF first used a C-47 which promptly got shot down by insurgents over Laos. So, they started using a recon T-33A which made 16 recon flights in April/May 1961 out of Udorn RTAFB before the ICC threw a hissy fit about it.

I found a pic of the actual T-33 used and repainted Piglet's FSX T-33 as it and will fly the event in it in FSX SE using default real weather. The Skyray has been sent back to the carrier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-33A  TR-347.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

The base commander refused to authorize the use of a B-52 for "non-essential operations". Pfftt. Looks like I will have to settle on a weary but sturdy F-100C. This is the CWDT FS9 version and will be using default real WX. (The FSX port-over while upgraded visually somewhat and with a working drag chute, does not fly according to published specs).

The North American F-100 served from 1954 to 1979 and first saw action in Vietnam in 1961. The Super Sabre can boast that it was the first operational aircraft in USAF inventory capable of exceeding the speed of sound in level flight.

Great Kevin! one of my favorite jets.

The F-100 is definitely not pointy. Not in the front anyway... Got all the changes. Thanks all.
    HP Reverb G2

I think I'll give this a whirl

Hey All,

I'm going to try to use this event as a way to get back to flying. And as long as wildfire season stays calm I should be able to complete it.

I am dedicating this event to my brother-in-law who was an FAC during vietnam flying an O-2 - too slow for this event. After the O-2 he went on to a storied career flying for 8th special ops mostly in C-141 stratolifters. The following events not in chronological order - From vietnam to winning an award from the Israeli government for his bravery during Yom Kipper to Jim Jones mess to being the first aircraft on the ground in Grenada to flying arms to the contras to picking up American troops during the failed Tehran rescue mission to more. Mike I am proud of you... His wife - my sister worked on U-2s, Sr-71s and was a crash investigator her team specializing in F-16 crashes. Sis I am proud of you...

For this event I choose the Gruman F9F Cougar trainer - see below...

From wiki...

...Prototypes were quickly produced by modifying Panthers, and the first (XF9F-6) flew on 20 September 1951. The aircraft was still subsonic, but the critical Mach number was increased from 0.79 to 0.86 at sea level and to 0.895 at 35,000 ft (10,000 m), improving performance markedly over the Panther. Instead of using conventional ailerons for roll control; the F9F-6 uses spoilers on the upper surfaces of the wing. Wing fences were soon added and the spoilers extended from the fences to the tips of the wing. The rudder pedals controlled the part of the rudder below the horizontal tail surface, while the upper portion of the rudder was controlled by a yaw damper. This allowed the Cougar to fly safely and easily without the upper portion of the tail.

...Corky Meyer who flew both the F9F Cougar and North American FJ-3 Fury noted that compared to the FJ-3 the Cougar had greater endurance, had a higher dive speed limit (Mach 1.2 vs Mach 1), and was more maneuverable with a 7.5-g maneuvering limit compared to 6-g for the FJ-3.

...The only version of the Cougar to see combat was the TF-9J trainer (until 1962, F9F-8T). Detachments of four Cougars served with US Marines Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 11 (H&MS-11) at Da Nang and H&MS-13 at Chu Lai, where they were used for fast-Forward Air Control and the airborne command role, directing airstrikes against enemy positions in South Vietnam between 1966 and 1968...

I am flying FS9 default weather (have to check my duenna version). I don't have the right paint and I don't paint.

A technical note - the reference section in the aircraft.cfg indicates max mach at 2.0 - clearly wrong. My question is what should I change it to? 0.985 or 1.2 as from wiki? Max indicated in the reference section is 528 kts.

-Ed-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Viet1.jpg  
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Interesting story on your brother in law, Ed! What FS version of the F-9 is that? The old Aeroplane Heaven one? As to changing the max_mach value, I don't think it's necessary. With a max_indicated of 528 it's unlikely you will ever achieve M1.0 anyway, since you will over speed at 528 KIAS.
    HP Reverb G2

Hey All,

From the readme with the Cougar...

LEGAL
    These files are freeware and must remain so. The author retain the copyright.
    These files were released on FlightSim.com and the Sim Outhouse; if you got them elsewhere then it might not reflect the final configuration. If you want to host them on another site, please ask. Permission will probably be granted.
    These files are released without warranty of any kind.
    By downloading these files you accept full responsibility for any consequences resulting from their use. The authors accept no responsibility whatsoever.
    CREDITS
    Aircraft models, flight model, panels, gauges and textures by David Wooster.
    A special thanks to:
    Tom Zimmerman for his help with the flight testing and suggestions for improvement.

SUPPORT
    E-mail David Wooster at: this4david2@q.com
    Yeah Paul I was wondering about that 528 and the literature I've seen says it is around 35 kts too slow - fastest apparently should be 562 at 2000 ft. may it should be bumped up...

Anyway not a bad plane...

-Ed-
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Operation - Bangin Me Head

Throwing my hat in, with a twist.. For each leg I plan to do it "mission orientated". To start, the mission (per leg) needs to be recon-ed; visual, IR & ecm threats, followed by the attack sortie. Will be using FSX & FSRealWX Pro for the WX generator.

(Turbo-prop class) For the visual & IR recon sortie the Army has been assigned to use the Grumman OV-1C Mohawk by Tim "piglet" Conrad using the very nice paint by Ed Wells of the Cavanaugh Flight Museum's rendition.

(Prop Class) For the ECM recon sortie the Air Force gets called into action using the Lockheed EC-121D produced by Team 1049 - Roland Berger, Volker Boehme, Manfred Jahn, Luis Pallas, Bill Tyne, and Stefan Werner. Note - the "Warning Star" radar / FDE upgrade (warning_star_radar_upgrade.zip) is NOT being used, just the original release (wv2-1.zip).

(Jet Class) "Gettin er hot" with the Alphasim/SHRS F-111A by Steve Hess & myself for the final mission (per leg) objective. A new paint & configurator.exe config file has been created to represent the "A" model (PM me if wanted). A fully operational situational radar & mechanical INS is provided with the aircraft along with a functioning TF radar providing cues for manual or automatic TF flight.

Not much is known about 67-065 except that it served with the 428th TFS, 474th TFW during it's first tour in SEA.

From WIKI -
    Reassigned to Nellis AFB, Nevada in 1966, becoming one of the first General Dynamics F-111A squadrons. Deployed aircraft to South Vietnam in early 1968, while still in training status at Nellis. Aircraft returned and development of the F-111 continued, finally reaching operational status in 1971.
    Returned to Takhli RTAFB, Thailand in early 1972 as a result of the North Vietnamese Easter Offensive. Fully engaged in combat over North and South Vietnam for the balance of 1972, flying operations in good and bad weather when other squadrons were grounded. Flew approximately 4000 combat missions with excellent success rates in hitting targets even when visibility was near zero. Returned to the United States in March 1973, leaving its assigned aircraft at Takhli.
    Almost immediately upon the squadron's return to Nellis AFB, was reassigned to the 347th Fighter Wing and deployed back to Takhli RTAFB, this time being placed on permanent party status in Thailand, taking over the aircraft it had left upon its return to the United States. For a brief two-week period the 347th flew combat operations into Cambodia until 15 August, when the last wartime mission of the Vietnam Era was flown into Cambodia for final mission of Constant Guard. After the cease-fire, the wing was maintained in a combat-ready status for possible contingency. After the end of combat missions in Indochina, the squadron moved to Korat RTAFB, Thailand in 1974 after the closure of Taklhi and remained in Southeast Asia through May 1975 to undertake strike missions in the event of further contingency operations. Participated in numerous exercises and firepower demonstrations, and, during Jan–May 1975, flew sea surveillance missions. Participated in the recovery of the American merchantman SS Mayaguez from Cambodian Communist forces in May 1975. Upon return to the United States, reassigned back to the 474th TFW, sending F-111s to 366th TFW at Mountain Home AFB. The last information known about 67-0065 is that it served in the 429th TFS/ECS possibly slated to be converted to an EF-111A Raven as an aircraft assigned to CONSTANT GUARD V. It was decommissioned and arrived at AMARC on July 19th 1991, no longer on the AMARC registry and most likely destroyed.

Roman

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

From the readme with the Cougar...

Yeah Paul I was wondering about that 528 and the literature I've seen says it is around 35 kts too slow - fastest apparently should be 562 at 2000 ft. may it should be bumped up...

Anyway not a bad plane...

-Ed-
    Ed, I just looked at the Aeroplane Heaven Panther for FS9 and it has a max KIAS of 579. I have no problem with adjusting yours accordingly.
    HP Reverb G2

Welcome Roman! Quite an interesting collection of aircraft you have chosen!
    HP Reverb G2

Hey All,

Paul the cougar is basically a swept wing panther so that number looks good and I'll put max mach at 1.2 if that works.

Attached is the config file for the cougar.

Yeah my brother in law and sister have had quite the lives. His story about getting a medal from Israel for bravery is phenomenal as is a funny one about hauling penguins from antartica. You likely didn't know the airforce did such things. Anyway he was grounded by my sister once as she said the plane was not ready and she wouldn't budge - he says he had to marry someone like that.

-Ed-
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Welcome Roman! Quite an interesting collection of aircraft you have chosen!
    Thanks Paul! 2 for fun, 1 for the run.

The OV-1 was an easy pick, one of our EAA chapter members (Joe) was an Army Intelligence officer for 24 years serving in SEA & Germany, both fixed & rotary wing rated. He flew the OV-1, OH-58 &, if you think the OV-1 is an ugly duckling, the RU-21E Guardrail. He gave a presentation at one of our meetings that was one of the most interesting ever. Seen the OV-1 in action many times at KOSH, not very easy on the eyes while on the ground but absolutely graceful in the air - it's Joe's favorite.

Really like the Connie- if I can keep the engines running it "might" be contender & the F-111 was a no brainer. So many great jet aircraft from the era, hard to pick just one. Wish a developer would produce a high fidelity F9F-8 Cougar.. It's sorely missing.

Roman

Scooter!

I'm going to give it a go in Ed Heinemann's famous Hot Rod using the Virtavia A-4E w/ wing tanks.
    EDIT: This is the A-4 v1.1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Entry.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	39283

The Race Committee should note that an air-to-ground radar is modeled that displays terrain and airports, but does not display a ground track (i.e., the "magenta line") as far as I can tell from the manual. Please provide a ruling on usage.

Now I'm off to see if I can find my Duenna username/password. I've done a complete reinstall of everything since the last RTWR.

Cheers,
    Craig
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Taylor View Post
    ...The Race Committee should note that an air-to-ground radar is modeled that displays terrain and airports, but does not display a ground track (i.e., the "magenta line") as far as I can tell from the manual. Please provide a ruling on usage...
    Approved. You may use ground mapping radar systems if the plane has one. And glad to have you on board!

O.T. - Where have I been? I didn't know those folks at Virtavia made an A-4 for FSX! Looks pretty nice too. Might have to purchase that one...
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

Paul the cougar is basically a swept wing panther so that number looks good and I'll put max mach at 1.2 if that works.

Attached is the config file for the cougar.

Yeah my brother in law and sister have had quite the lives. His story about getting a medal from Israel for bravery is phenomenal as is a funny one about hauling penguins from antartica. You likely didn't know the airforce did such things. Anyway he was grounded by my sister once as she said the plane was not ready and she wouldn't budge - he says he had to marry someone like that.

-Ed-
    Thanks Ed!
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Approved. You may use ground mapping radar systems if the plane has one. And glad to have you on board!

O.T. - Where have I been? I didn't know those folks at Virtavia made an A-4 for FSX! Looks pretty nice too. Might have to purchase that one...
    It's been out a couple of few years, Paul. Where have you been?
    The last post in this thread is from 2014...
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Members who have read this thread: 0