Summer Race Event 2016 - Registration Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer Race Event 2016 - Registration Thread

That one must have snuck past me. It is pretty small...

I will be flying the F-105D. Alphasim/Virtavia, FSX, FSRealWXPro.

This F-105D represents a Thunderchief attached to the 562nd TFS, 23rd TFW, based at Takhli during 1965. Apparently the D model carried out the strike missions, while the two seat F anf G models performed the anti-sam site "Wild Weasel" missions. I hope all the runways out here are long enough. You know what they say about the Republic company right? If they made a runway that went all the way around the world, Republic would make a plane that needed all of it to take off? I think they started saying that when the F-105 came out...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Nice choice Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    That one must have snuck past me. It is pretty small...
    Well, I wanted something that would fit in my garage...

Back to topic...I was wondering if I could swap out for an A-4 without the wing tanks. I did some testing over the weekend and determined that I don't actually need them. It's an 'E' model but it's got an avionics hump. I don't think there's any difference other than visual.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Taylor View Post
    Well, I wanted something that would fit in my garage...

Back to topic...I was wondering if I could swap out for an A-4 without the wing tanks. I did some testing over the weekend and determined that I don't actually need them. It's an 'E' model but it's got an avionics hump. I don't think there's any difference other than visual.
    I've just finished modifying my F-105D aircraft.cfg to "remove" the drop tanks fuel capacity, so I don't forget to not fill them up during this event. This F-105 flys like a fully loaded cement mixer when it's full of gas. So I guess that's a yes...

EDIT: Or, if you mean change plane you're registered with, of course.
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Nice choice Paul.
    Thanks Jim! Always kind of liked the F-105. Cool looking. For a pointy jet, that is...
    HP Reverb G2

Been reworking the T-33 panel to use the same gauges and layout as the F-80 in my hanger.

Still sorting out where to place the kitchen sink....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-jun-26-032.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Virtavia didn't create a payload manager, and modeled all the payload configurations individually. In other words, no tanks = separate model, skin, etc. I'm actually glad to fly with an East Coast squadron. Thanks for understanding, Paul.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Craig, I ran into the same thing with the old AlphaSim F-80. 4 different external tank setups. I ended up just doing 4 separate folders for each version.

Not really for this race, but just a note: The FSDream Team FSX Blue Angel's F/A-18C (best Hornet available, bar none!) is set up with a Base folder for things like the Panel, Sound, and Texture folders, and the .air file. It also has different folders entirely for each load-out. A-A, A-G CBU's, Clean, and so on.
    Y'all mentioning the whole "multiple folders" thing brought it to mind. I fly that bird almost exclusively, doing missions, Nav runs, and, of course, carrier work, with AICarriers.NET, and vLSO. Although I swear those AI LSO's hate me for some reason...
    Have fun all, and if you are interested, I can post a link of where to DL the FSDT Hornet.
    Pat☺

My registration

Hello, all!
    Well, here I go: I will be flying the Tim "piglet" Conrad modified Virtavia F-111 Aardvark, FSX-SE, with FSRealWX Lite for a weather engine.
    I am hoping it will be as fun as it looks!
    See y'all there
    Pat☺

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Hello, all!
    Well, here I go: I will be flying the Tim "piglet" Conrad modified Virtavia F-111 Aardvark, FSX-SE, with FSRealWX Lite for a weather engine.
    I am hoping it will be as fun as it looks!
    See y'all there
    Pat☺
    Got it Pat. Thanks for joining the fun. Lots of ant eaters out there...
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Been reworking the T-33 panel to use the same gauges and layout as the F-80 in my hanger.

Still sorting out where to place the kitchen sink....
    I notice you're still using the drifty meter. That thing is great!
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I notice you're still using the drifty meter. That thing is great!
    The only way to get confused as to your exact whereabouts!

It's a great replacement for the mag compass. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Craig, I ran into the same thing with the old AlphaSim F-80. 4 different external tank setups. I ended up just doing 4 separate folders for each version.
    That's pretty much how Virtavia's A-4 installation works. There's a separate folder for each payload configuration under Simobjects/Airplanes, each with its own .cfg, AIR file, model, textures, etc. Hence switching to a slightly different model and paint to go without tanks.

@Pat - I'll take you up on that Hornet, if you're still offering.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Yes, please Pat.
    -Mike

FSDT FSXBA F/A-18C, v16.1

It's my pleasure, guys! It's really an awesome plane, and there are a number of "real-world" Hornet drivers, past and present, on the Team, and on the Beta Testing team. They can't say enough about how realistic the FCS and FDE are.
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I do
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S...w?pref=2&pli=1 is the link. It comes with an Installer, and that can let you select which loadout you want. You will always have to have the Base plane, but after that, whatever you like. I personally like to fly the Training, A-A, and Blue Angel loadouts. The Blue Angel loadout also has a special cockpit, with a stopwatch and controls for the smoke and Inverted Flight tanks. They last longer than the default Hornet's inverted flight tanks, enabling longer inverted flight during shows, as I'm sure we've all seen and enjoyed.
    They also have a forum, containing tons of information, answers to questions, how-to guides for the UFC (Up-Front Control panel). Oh, in case I forget to mention it, it includes the FSDT ground mapping radar for free. I simply can't say anough good things about the plane, and the people who made it. "Jimi" Hendricks (the FSX BA XO), Mr. Orion Lau, a man called Paddles, and all the others. The forum for the F-18 forum can be found at http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...board,4.0.html . Feel free to take a look around, or register and post. They really are wonderful, friendly people. Jimi is Active Duty Navy, and sometimes takes a few days to respond, but he always does
    Enjoy the plane! I sure as heck do. It's about all I fly any more, it's so good. I wish we could use it for this race, heh-heh-heh
    Pat☺

Thanks Pat. This sounds terrific. Will download, install, and enjoy the challenge.
    --Mike
    -Mike

I use AICarriers.NET (not .exe!) to place a carrier to fly around, make it go forward, set the wind over the deck (WOD) at a MINIMUM of 15kts. That sets up the world for me to do carrier quals all day. I can load in a circling KC-135 to practice refueling too.
    Obviously, for the next few weeks I will be working on this race (and loving it so far ) but I would be willing to bet after the race, I will be right back to doing things a Hornet does
    I hope you enjoy it too! For a change, I haven't touched the Panel.cfg, aircraft.cfg or .air file, unlike my usual habit. I love it just as it is.
    See ya!
    Pat☺

May I please sign up for the Viet Nam trip? I'd like to use Milviz's F100 which I understand was used during that time. For the rest: FSX, OpusFSI weather and er, I think that's it.

Hey Ron, welcome with all these jet plane should be a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Attwood View Post
    May I please sign up for the Viet Nam trip? I'd like to use Milviz's F100 which I understand was used during that time. For the rest: FSX, OpusFSI weather and er, I think that's it.
    Hi Ron. Welcome to the race. Another F-100 is surely welcome.
    HP Reverb G2

A quick rule question, if I may: Most of my flight time available is night over in Vietnam. Is it permissable to change the time of day during a leg? I just want to make it daytime, no other change. Still use The Duenna and FSRealWX Lite.
    Thanks in advance.
    I am also strongly considering a chopper registration. Either the UH-1, OH-6, AH-1, or CH-53. Do the model variations matter? For example, I can't find where the AH-1S was used during the war, but the AH-1J was. The S is one great chopper from HoverControl (one fantastic helicopter site, without question!). Could I fly it? I can only use freeware, so I kinda have to take what I can get...
    Once I choose a chopper, if I can use it, I will probably register for the chopper legs.
    Thanks again! Have a good time everyone
    Pat☺

Phantom, yes we're allowing helicopters. Unless there is a major difference between the models of an aircraft (like in F-84s) we usually don't pay much attention to specific versions.

I'm planning a heli run at it for my second trip through after the T-33. I'm planning on using the now freeware AlphaSim S55 (H-19 Chickasaw) which served in Vietnam in the early part of the war. I just haven't decided on an appropriate paint scheme yet (looking for something Navy that isn't brightly colored). I'm thinking my entry will be more entertaining than competitive considering I rarely fly the things.

Helicopters are quite appropriate for this event.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    A quick rule question, if I may: Most of my flight time available is night over in Vietnam. Is it permissable to change the time of day during a leg? ...
    You may set the time of day to daytime, but not during a leg. Set the time before launching the duenna. If you change it while duenna is running, it will register as an error.
    HP Reverb G2

Okay, here's my round 2 entry: Sikorsky HRS-3 (aka H-19 Chickasaw, aka S-55) in a still wet circa 1966 US Navy paint scheme. At least I should get a good view of the recommended Vietnam scenery as I crash.. At best I might actually finish the course before the end of the event.

(I can paint whatchachoppers, never said I could fly one)

AlphaSim Sikorsky S-55 FSX version (now freeware)
    FSX Steam Edition
    Default Real Wx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whatchachopper.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0