Summer Race Event 2016 - Vietnam Jets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Race Event 2016 - Vietnam Jets

Summer Race Event 2016 - Vietnam Jets

2016 SOH Summer Race Event

Airfields of the Vietnam War

The challenge is to fly a circuit visiting several of the airfields in Thailand and Vietnam that were used in the war, as quickly as possible, without crashing, or exceeding the speed of sound.

Any aircraft that was operational in the Vietnam War is eligible.

The event starts at 12:00 GMT, Friday, July 1. The race will last until 12:00 GMT time on August 1.

Scoring: The flight times, as recorded by the Duenna program, will be added together at the end of the event. The final result will be your total race time, minus penalties associated with breaking the sound barrier. At the end of the event, the fastest in the following three categories will be recognized: Fastest Jet, Fastest Turboprop, and Fastest Piston Engine.

The route consists of the airports listed below. Start from any airport. Make a full stop landing at each of the other airports listed. The order in which you fly the way points is up to you.

VTBU, U-Taphao Intl
    VTPI, Takhli
    VTUD, Udon Thani
    VVDB, Dienbien
    VVNB, Noibai Intl
    VVCI, Catbi
    VTUW, Nakhon Phanom
    VVDN, Danang Intl
    VTUU, Ubon Ratchathani
    VVPC, Phucat
    VVNT, Nhatrang
    VTUN, Khorat
    VVTS, Tansonnhat

Navigation: No GPS or any other third party “moving map” display that shows where you are, unless the aircraft you select had such a moving map display, and it is modeled in the FS aircraft. An example of this is the RAZBAM A-7E and the Projected Moving Map Set (PMDS).

The Duenna flight tracking program, version v2.0.396, must be used for this event, since it is the only version that tracks supersonic flight. The Duenna program can be downloaded from the RTW Race site, HERE.

The PDF file HERE documents the rules more completely. It's only five pages...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Dang, I should include some pictures...

HP Reverb G2

Paul,

First, thank you for organising this event, looks like great fun!

A quick question: is navigation by INS permitted? And a follow-up question, if so: can a third party INS be added to an aircraft in which it is not modeled?

Nick

I would treat INS's the same as moving map displays. If the plane had it, you can use it, but not add one to a plane that didn't. The moving map sets of the time were driven by INS data anyway. What FS plane out there has an INS? Not sure if the RAZBAM A-7E has one modeled. It was controlled all through the computer interface panel on the right console. Have to check that out!
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I would treat INS's the same as moving map displays. If the plane had it, you can use it, but not add one to a plane that didn't. The moving map sets of the time were driven by INS data anyway. What FS plane out there has an INS? Not sure if the RAZBAM A-7E has one modeled. It was controlled all through the computer interface panel on the right console. Have to check that out!
    That's fair. I'm thinking Milviz Phantom, which has working INS implemented in the model. Will be interesting to keep it below M1.0 though!

I'm looking at the Virtavia F4D Skyray and wondering about the keeping it below Mach 1 thing myself.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Paul,

Looking forward to the event! Maybe even do it multiple time in multiple classes.
    One question.. Can a "family" of aircraft be used rather than individual models? (Similar to RTWR, in a way)
    I would really like to use my SHRS F-111 but we did all models except for the F-111A, the only sub model that served in Vietnam.

I did however, because of our configurator program capabilities, make an "A" model from other parts.
    It uses -
    • The long wing visual model w/ bombs (long visual wing not realistic, bomb load & no ECM pod is)
    • Short wing air file & aircraft.cfg entries for aerodynamics (realistic)
    • Reduced MTOW & empty weight, similar to the "A" TFX (realistic)
    • Limited to only the TF30-PW-1 & TF30-PW-3 engines (realistic)
    • Uses the Pre-AMPS mechanical INS & radar systems (realistic)

If approved for use I would provide an update kit to make the "A" available to anyone. Just need to make a paint of 67-065, 428th TFS, 474th TFW.
    Takhli RTAFB - 03/15/68 thru 04/22/68, "Combat Lancer"
    Takhli RTAFB - 09/72 thru 07/73, "Linebacker II"
    Roman

Thinking about one that the US Air Force operated out of Udorn in 1961. Probably the only one of it's type that flew actual missions in SE Asia.

Hi Roman,

Proceed as planned. That F-111 looks interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Paul,

Looking forward to the event! Maybe even do it multiple time in multiple classes.
    One question.. Can a "family" of aircraft be used rather than individual models? (Similar to RTWR, in a way)
    I would really like to use my SHRS F-111 but we did all models except for the F-111A, the only sub model that served in Vietnam.

I did however, because of our configurator program capabilities, make an "A" model from other parts.
    It uses -
    • The long wing visual model w/ bombs (long visual wing not realistic, bomb load & no ECM pod is)
    • Short wing air file & aircraft.cfg entries for aerodynamics (realistic)
    • Reduced MTOW & empty weight, similar to the "A" TFX (realistic)
    • Limited to only the TF30-PW-1 & TF30-PW-3 engines (realistic)
    • Uses the Pre-AMPS mechanical INS & radar systems (realistic)

If approved for use I would provide an update kit to make the "A" available to anyone. Just need to make a paint of 67-065, 428th TFS, 474th TFW.
    Takhli RTAFB - 03/15/68 thru 04/22/68, "Combat Lancer"
    Takhli RTAFB - 09/72 thru 07/73, "Linebacker II"
    HP Reverb G2

Note the new button at the top of the site, with the label "SEA1". This is where you go to see the status of all racers, and to upload your Duenna files at the end of each leg. As long as you post them, I will make sure they get uploaded. Or you can upload your own. No worries either way.
    HP Reverb G2

greeting and question

Hello to all and sundry!
    My name is Pat, and I am a sorta-racer. I participated in the last two RTWR's (on "another" team). I am interested in this race too, so here I am
    The question I have, if I may: I have the F-111 from Tim "Piglet" Conrad, zipfile named piggtb8.zip, available over on FlightSim. I read the rules, and they specify that only navigation equipment that "comes with" the aircraft is allowed. To me, that means no 3rd party add-ons, added by me. Having aid that, the Piglet F-111 has an awfully advanced cockpit, especially for the time that the race is involved in. SO: May I use it? Find a different one? Just use the Iris F-4 (I worked on those in the Corps, BTW!)? Just wondering.
    No matter what, I'd like to kick the tires on whatever plane I will use, and get the fires lit!
    Thanks for your consideration!
    Pat☺

Hi Pat. Welcome to the race! You may use avionics systems that came with the plane. So ground mapping radars, INS, etc., Ok. If the F-111 had a ground mapping radar, but your particular FS models doesn't have one, but you have a freeware gauge that works, you may add that. You just can't add the FS Garmin GPS unit and call it a "Ground Mapping Radar"...
    HP Reverb G2

Thank you for clearing that all up! You have answered my question perfectly!
    Annnnnd awwwwaaayy we go!
    Pat☺
    Just a quick note before I make an "Official Registration" Post: I want to test another aircraft before I choose which plane I want to fly. I will make my official registration post once I test them both. See y'all soonest!
    Pat☺
    Last edited by PhantomTweak; June 25th, 2016 at 12:58. Reason: Amplification of infoemation

Scenery for this Race

If anyone is interested, and I apologize if this is a duplication of effort, but I found a wonderful website with scenery for FSX. Scenery means airfields active, and as they were during the war. I thought it might be appropriate. It might be a good help for people to make it "as real as possible"
    The Project and downloads can be found here: http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/Downloads.html
    They are pretty big downloads, including an object Library, but I plan on using it.
    Have fun!
    Pat☺

NOTAM: If anyone wants to enter a helicopter in this event, don't be shy! We will track those beasties as a separate category and award accordingly!
    HP Reverb G2

I'm gonna enter a Sikorsky H-19 Chickasaw just haven't decided what paint scheme yet.

NOTAM: A reminder about the Duenna. For this event you must use the most recent release, unlike past events where it didn't really matter which version you used. In this event, only the latest version tracks your excursions into the Mach... In can be found HERE:
    HP Reverb G2

I'm having trouble finding the correct event in the Duenna for online tracking. The rules say to select “soh 2016 summer
    jet event” but I can't find it in my list of choices. Should I create it?
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Craig,

I would say "YES". I can also confirm that it is not on the event list.

EDIT - Created event.

Roman
    Last edited by spokes2112; July 1st, 2016 at 07:31.
    Roman

Thanks Roman! I wasn't sure if I should, so I held off.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Thanks for creating the event. I thought I did, but clearly I didn't. I have CRS you know...
    HP Reverb G2

NOTAM: It should be noted that the Duenna will not bust you for speeding unless you exceed M1.05. Sort of a "buffer", like the highway patrol gives you... Mach penalties are awarded only if Duenna rats you out...
    HP Reverb G2

I seem to be having an issue with VVNT. If I try to fly or spawn into there, I'm getting a Crash to Desktop. That's both with the Vietnam War scenery on and with it turned off. I'm still investigating, but I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to complete the event because of this issue.

Darn Willy, sure hope you find the problem. I haven't had that occurred as yet, and I sure hope I don't.

Got it sorted. Had to turn off the Vietnam War scenery and try it a couple of times before it quit crashing... Past VVNT now and headed for Saigon

Members who have read this thread: 0