P-51 'Jumpin Jacques' is now 'Tall in the Saddle'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-51 'Jumpin Jacques' is now 'Tall in the Saddle'

P-51 'Jumpin Jacques' is now 'Tall in the Saddle'

So the wonderful G-SIJJ has been all historical accuracy-fied from 'Jumpin Jacques' into 'Tall in the Saddle' of the 332nd FG. I was sad to see Jacques go after so long, but Peter Teichman is big on authenticity and having brought her back to near-factory condition the paint was obviously next in line.

The new scheme is growing on me, and I'm crossing my fingers that Bomber 12th will consider doing a version for his brilliant Warbirdsim P-51D. The great thing about FSX/P3D and the talented people who develop and paint for it is that Mr Teichman can paint his P-51 however he wants, but I can still fly Jumpin' Jacques whenever I want - win win!

I think you can guarantee that this hasn't been missed on JT's radar. Fingers crossed

ATB
    DaveB

Yep, it's been in the works. ; )

As much as I liked the previous scheme, Steve Atkin of Warbird Colour Services did an absolute brilliant job again with the new paint scheme (as he always does). It is very authentic, and based on all of the latest research (including that from the scale modeling world). If you do however read or hear that this particular aircraft is a true 332nd FG aircraft, do take it with a grain of salt though. While that may be true, no one at this time really knows for sure, and it may never be known without a doubt. What is known is that the aircraft was sent to the Mediterranean Theatre, more specifically the 15th AF, and that some traces of red paint were found in an area of the tail. Because of this, it was suggested a number of years ago that it *may* have been a 332nd FG aircraft (of course the 31st FG, also part of the 15th AF, used a lot red paint around their tails too). There has never been any other evidence beyond that, to say that it is a true 332nd Mustang. One of the difficulties of course for 332nd FG Mustang research, is that the serial numbers on the tails were always painted over, so there is very little chance in identifying specific Mustangs in original WWII photographs. This particular aircraft, with its WWII combat record unknown at this time, returned to the US after WWII (not so rare for Mediterranean Theatre aircraft - I know of many 12th AF B-25's that returned to the US after WWII), and then served for about 6 years in various Air National Guard units.

BTW, the markings of this new paint scheme is of the aircraft that was flown by Lt. Col. George Hardy, who is alive today (90 years old), and has of course been in touch with the aircraft's operators/researchers.

John,

Glad to know you have this one on your plate. I started on it (very early stages) but will put it on the back burner for now.
    Plus I have a RAF bird that I've been working on so that will keep me busy.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

That reminds me...

Old joke: He looks mighty tall in the saddle.

That's because he's on a horse, mate!

If you get the chance to watch Peter Teichman display any of his aircraft, take it. He's a fine pilot.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Hope someone does this scheme for the A2A model.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burnside View Post
    Hope someone does this scheme for the A2A model.
    <treading very="" softly..=""> That would be nice - there is a version for the A2A out there already (a quick Google search will find it) but the blue is much darker and the lettering is smaller and above the exhausts.

(Starts to tread very softly...) I have nearly all JT's P-51s and both of A2A's (more money than sense? Not any more!). The A2A is a terrific generic P-51D that can be painted to represent, near enough, any version. The Warbirdsim IS that version. I wouldn't be without either - A2A appeals my gauge-watching, checklist-following, 'whoops there goes my oil pressure!' side, while the Warbirdsim is for the side that simply loves the P-51. </treading>

Can't wait to see it John

Thank you! Trying to get it finished this weekend.

I know it will be worth the wait!

Some nice footage from yesterday's display by Peter Teichman at Bicester: -

Cheers

Paul

You get your money's worth from Peter! Conditions seem to have been very favourable, but he does show off the top sides more than many display pilots. :-) Lovely Merlin crackle and whistle!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

He's such a tidy pilot, even post-Shoreham it's a good show.

I just came across these stunning photos taken during the rollout of G-SIJJ in her new scheme: -

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=73491

Really looking forward to your repaint John!

I assume it will work with the JJ restored pack model?

Cheers

Paul

Finally, getting very nearly there. I have been developing the repaint using the restored 'Geraldine' model in "Mustang Tales" (my go-to), but I will also be releasing versions of the repaint for "Restored Part 2" (the one with "JJ") and "Little Friends 1" (the textures will all look the same).

Although a new paint scheme on the real aircraft, I already have a huge collection of photos of the aircraft gathered over time in research. Save for a few minor details, I have generally worked to portray the aircraft just as it looks. All of the markings are done just as they are on the real aircraft - including the lack of the yellow stripes along the bottom-side of the flaps, and the majority of the factory stencils missing (save for the region of the nose/cowlings). These items all still may be added at some point in the future on the real aircraft (I think they may have run out of time, ahead of the scheduled debut/flying season), and I can certainly include a version of the repaint with all of those details added. The, what are believed to be, bullet hole patches on the fuselage and vertical fin, have been recreated matching the real aircraft.

Once I'm completely happy with the repaint, the next step will be to do the minor conversion work to fully form it to the "Restored Part 2" and "Little Friends 1" selected models, and perhaps do a little cockpit texture mods, but it shouldn't be too long now.

Another beauty John!
    Greenhouse357

Thank you Bob!

Here are a few more angles:

Oh my days, that's gorgeous!

Nicely done!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

As if it wasn't tough enough already, deciding my favorites from amongst the numerous spectacular p51 paints you've already done!

That looks stunning John - looking forward to the finished article.

I must say, I really do like this scheme!

Cheers

Paul

Hi John - any update o when this might be available please?

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post

This is paint available?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

anyone else familiar with this show on netflix..?

its pretty good
    https://www.facebook.com/planeresurrection/
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Members who have read this thread: 1