Windows 10 for new pc

Thread: Windows 10 for new pc

Windows 10 for new pc

Would Fs9 run on Windows 10? Are there some here who have W10 and can run Fs9 on it?
    Is there anything else i should know about installing Fs9 in a particular place on a Windows 10 system, and enabling access to the Fs9 folder, allowing folder name changes and so on?
    I'm having a new pc put together soon and was told that I should have W10. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.
    Mark

Members +
    All good. I have 3x versions of FS9 (& P3D in it's default directory) running on Windows 10. 1x in it's default directory, & 2x in the C:\ drive, just to see if there would be any difference.
    So, no difference at all. The only thing I did was to drop the UAC setting right down. This is something I've always done since I had Windows 7!
    No issues at all, ever. I also did an install from my backup portable drive as well, using the registry tool from Flight1 to sort out the directory.
    So, my experience, based on my own installs, as well as out 30 installs at our virtual club over the years, without any issues whatsoever, is that you CAN install FS9 into it's default directory without any issues, drop the UAC setting down, & you have access to everything.

I've also found that Windows 10 is a little faster than Windows 7 & 8.1, for program access & loading.
    BTW, I'm using a i5 4GB laptop with a separate built-in graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Would Fs9 run on Windows 10? Are there some here who have W10 and can run Fs9 on it?
    Is there anything else i should know about installing Fs9 in a particular place on a Windows 10 system, and enabling access to the Fs9 folder, allowing folder name changes and so on?
    I'm having a new pc put together soon and was told that I should have W10. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.
    I run fs9 on win 10, you will find a straight install to a folder not in the same drive as your windows installation will work best, due to the inbuilt UA 'protection' features of win10 (being a family machine don't really want to drop the settings while teenagers are surfing)..

You will also find some of your favourite addons might not work right away, as win10 doesnt include all the C++ runtime files that used to be in winxp,2000, & 7, no problem just get them from microsoft site....

but most importantly... [hushed tone] you will need the no_cd patch/.exe or fs9 won't run at all (microsoft removed the disc check thingy from win10) you can find it via Google [/hushed tone]....

Took me a little time reassembling all the runtime files as various addons/gauges flagged up error messages etc, still get the occasional one or two when I pick something I havent played on win10 before.

hope this helps

ttfn

Pete

Members +
    Cool. All the UAC really does, is to nag when you want to edit something, or open something that Microsoft thinks that could be a problem, such as trying to edit something in the program folders with a .cfg extension. Dropping the UAC will stop the nagging, As well as all the 'No, you cannot do that' moans. that's all.
    Anyhow, maybe it's just me, but I prefer installers to go where they are supposed to go, without Microsoft being so conditional.
    Maybe I'm also just lucky, but all my add-ons, payware & freeware just worked.

The CD patch has always been in my installs, & is an essential.

Sounds all good, thanks motormouse and zswobbie.
    [hushed tone] yes, I know about the no-cd patch...shhh [hushed tone]
    Sounds like 2 choice's on installation of fs9 regarding UA.
    Yes, thanks motor mouse, I'll have to get the c++ runtime files. My new pc will be a desktop with the latest i5 chip.
    Mark

SOH-CM-2023
    Don't be put off the first time you open FS9, as it defaults to full screen mode & sometimes to default screen resolution. A black screen means select ALT+ENTER, to return to windowed mode. I already had FS9 loaded when I upgraded my laptop to W10, so did not have to reload & was already running the you know what instead of disc 4.
    Good luck
    Keith

Thanks Keith.
    This will be a completely new desktop pc so everything will be transferred from the old pc drive to the new drive. Also I'm making a big jump from win xp to win 10, from a 250 gb hd to a 1 tb hd, from a 13 yr old pc with 4gb memory sticks to a brand new fast pc with 16 gb memory sticks!!
    And probably after i have all the shortcut icons, and everything transferred to the desktop of my new pc, it won't all start straight away like before, so I would still have to restore some progs, links, etc I guess.
    So I'm just now contemplating whether to start from scratch again with clean new installs on this new pc, or do the former, starting with the transferred icons etc and restoring things step by step, so this would take a bit of time :-P
    Mark

Members +
    Clean fresh installs!!
    It's like a brand new book with blank pages. You do not want to paste old cut-out notes/pages into it!

Also, your payware stuff will have to be re-installed anyway!
    So, one way around is to copy your existing install, paste it where you want it to go.
    BTW, I use 'Teracopy' as a copy tool. It's so much faster than the Windows one. (from http://www.codesector.com/teracopy)
    Then you need to use the Registry Repair Tool from Flight1 (http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library) to point the FS9.exe to the registry.
    Do not forget to copy & paste the Flight Sim folder in 'My Documents'.

I've done this many times. Works perfectly. & by renaming the fs9.exe & the main folder, you can have multiple installs of FS9! I have 3! 1x normal, 1x 'Golden Wings'& 1x for the Ford Tri-Motor Project.

It will be a fresh clean install. I made a full copy of fs9 to an external drive that's hooked up to my old computer, with all the current stuff in it, tweaks, scenery, planes, payware and all. Once I get the new pc going I'll copy over parts of it to the new installed fs9, for example the gauges, aircraft, mods, etc. but the payware and more complicated stuff will have to be reinstalled of course.
    Thanks for the links zswobbie, they may come in handy.

I recall reading something about enabling more than one core to run fs9, fsx or something like that. The new pc will be a quad core one, so I was wondering if that would help, or not needed at all?

edit; BTW, I just remembered to ask if the new vid card, a 2GB Nvidia GTX950, would be more than adequate. I'm keeping to a certain budget, the new pc will be a middle of the road one.
    Mark

I've got my new pc up and running, and I'm just getting my head around windows 10, playing around with it, getting to know it, and adjusting the new desktop to my liking. It sure is very different from Windows XP! I've got some questions that I want to ask here.

One is the C++ runtime files. It's needed for FS9 and Windows 10 doesnt have them so I went to the MS website and went to download them. There were 2 download options, one for x64 and the other for x86, and I wasnt sure which one would be appropriate. My Windows 10 is 64 bit. So does anyone here know which would be the appropriate one for me?

Secondly I recall seeing in the system files two folders, one was Program files and there was another folder with the same name but it has x86 at the end. I do know Program Files from XP days but dont know what the other one is for, it had me scratching my head.

Thirdly, I probably shouldnt be asking here in the FS9 forum... but are the C++ files needed for FSX as well?
    Mark

Does no one here know or is just not interested?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Does no one here know or is just not interested?
    Think I got both, x64 is for 64bit programs, x86 is for 32bit programs. Windows will use whichever the program needs... if you take a look in your windows folder you will see x86 and x64 sub folders.

The x86 folder is where 32bit programs and associated files reside, x64 64bit progams

You'll need them for x as well.

Ttfn

Pete

That really helps, thanks Pete.
    Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0