F7F Tigercat New VC for FSX & P3D - Page 13
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: F7F Tigercat New VC for FSX & P3D

Had a first look tonight, great work. The VC is exceptional. I flew with head sets on, when I started the engine I almost fell from my chair. Beautiful sound set! The flying went well for a frist hop. Also landing, very predictable and stable. Only one thing: don't let her become to fast. The aircraft seems suspectible to loss of effectiveness of the elevator (compressibility). It can be countered with pitch trim to a certain degree.

From now on I'll take her up every evening, with a small test list!

Cheers,
    Mark
    Last edited by roger-wilco-66; April 25th, 2017 at 13:43.
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Hi Gordon,
    did a testflight,
    handling is very nice.
    vc is great,all on your checklist work.....
    sound work´s,very nice soundset..
    get no beacon and navlight?

Cheers
    Ralf

Blog Entries
    Those external lights are going to be re-worked with the new exterior model.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Those external lights are going to be re-worked with the new exterior model.
    OK,then i miss nothing............

Great Job !!!

Really looking forward to getting back home in a few days to try this out. I've been looking forward to it.

I love the plane!

But here are a few things that caught my eye (n.b. these are not criticisms, just observations, because they may be known issues!)

(Running in P3D v3.4)

1-The prop blades don't change pitch when engines are off and the prop levers are moved, viewed from the vc
    2-The cowl flaps don't move when in the vc
    3-The flap control markings don't line up with the lever:

4-The ASI under-reads after 100 kts:

5-Some textures are pixellated e.g. the seat base in the black cockpit paint and the artificial horizon:

6- There is a black stripe on the background of the RMI:
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Future Updates

G,

After all the bugs and warts that have been noted are sorted, will the next update remain a beta and will I still be on your distro list for any future udates?

Thank you for letting me test it, I sure do appreciate it.

ATB,

Butch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    G,

After all the bugs and warts that have been noted are sorted, will the next update remain a beta and will I still be on your distro list for any future udates?

Thank you for letting me test it, I sure do appreciate it.

ATB,

Butch
    I appreciate all of your help Butch. Updates will be numbered, and designated beta. There is quite a bit of work to be done yet.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Carrier ops

G,

I'm planning on a test hop to a bat barge (carrier) and see how it traps and launches. This ought to be good.

Blog Entries
    General Testing Guidelines

Feel free to point out any and everything you see, either here, by PM or email. Many of the various artefacts, warts and bugs are already known, but many hands make quick work.
    I'll catalog everything and start picking off the finer details.

What I am most interested in at this stage is the actual model, coding and performance. My priority at this time is that all of the switches, buttons, gauges and controls respond as intended.
    Bear in mind that many of the switches are not live. The ones the respond to mouse roll over are the coded "live" switches and controls. If everyone is getting consistent response to pilot box switches, flaps, parking brake, trim etc., I can check those off as "good".

Performance:
    This is an aggressive build that uses many 32bit textures, high poly definition and extensive modeling detail. That adds up in the aggregate, so I'm very interested in how the model performs on everyone's system.

If the 32 bit textures are too much, I can take those down to DXT5...much smaller, but they lose some of the very subtle painting details.
    If the model is too demanding, I can streamline and economize the model. There is a lot of room there for optimization of individual parts if we need to start trimming. My philosophy is to aim for the sky, then tune as needed.

Instrumentation:
    I want to thoroughly test instrumentation and navigation radios. All three models have full GPS capability, even the military version. The two civilian models have Garmin radios on the panel and available as pop up nav aids. The military version has only the pop up radios available. The panel remains accurate to the original airplane. I included the more modern radios for ease of navigation in the simulator.

Please do as much IFR and VFR flying as possible using the Garmin radios. I want to be sure everything integrates with the simulator. Check that your steam gauges are in synch with HUD and Garmin. ILS is working perfectly for me, but I would like feedback from you in this area.
    Watch for accuracy of HSI, VOR and ADI working together with HUD.

Tips:
    Make sure the airplane is dirty well in advance of glide slope intercept. If you hit the flaps and gear entering the beam, the autopilot may lose the track as it attempts to compensate trim as gear and flap drag comes in to play. Having the airplane on speed and trim prior to glide slope intercept is essential.

Enter the pattern at flaps one and around 160 indicated. The gear won't drop until you reach 150 indicated, then the HUD will go into pitch ladder mode. In the civilian version you will also have AOA on the panel.

In real world, ATC would bring you in much faster at a high traffic facility, so if you are re-creating those conditions you will need to anticipate energy bleed. This airplane is very slippery and doesn't slow down on a dime, therefore care needs to be taken when flying the pattern "hot". Hitting the beam at 185-200 indicated is do-able, but you may need to bleed energy once you are on the glide slope. I do this with prop pitch, power...then flaps...then finally gear. If you try to slam on the brakes you will probably bork the approach. lol

For carrier traps...just use the play book. Flaps, gear and hook on downwind @ 600'. You should be just below 150 indicated here, reduce to 125 turning base and inch throttle back to below 100 approaching the ball. Once you have the ball, slow to 90-95. Watch power here, the airplane will drop like a brick if you pull power to idle. If AOA and speed are on target, you can fly the airplane all the way to the wire. The airplane behaves well when you trap the wire...not a lot of flopping around.

HUD
    The HUD is not accurate for to the time period, but is a great tool if you are going to shoot traps. The pitch ladder and other visual queues should give accurate readouts.

Here are the hot keys for the pop ups. These can be modified by the end user if they conflict with personal settings.

Last edited by gman5250; April 26th, 2017 at 08:17.
    Thomas Jefferson

CarQuals

Some shots of the Tiger Cat on the Big "E"

This one is a no shoot. When using CTRL + I there is no catapult preload action. Was it added yet? Right now I'd have to deck launch it.

Brilliant Gordon! Seriously fantastic. I hope everyone can appreciate how far this project has come since about last year. Gordon is putting in so much time (way more than what most think) I to it. It certainly has achieved a high bar thus far!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Some shots of the Tiger Cat on the Big "E"

This one is a no shoot. When using CTRL + I there is no catapult preload action. Was it added yet? Right now I'd have to deck launch it.
    That is all exterior model stuff Butch. The new exterior model is WIP, but will be period accurate. For now...flaps full...mash the brakes...53Map...full back on the stick...release the brakes...watch the deck float by out of your right window...usually about eyeball level. Set your weather up for some wind....helps a bunch.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Brilliant Gordon! Seriously fantastic. I hope everyone can appreciate how far this project has come since about last year. Gordon is putting in so much time (way more than what most think) I to it. It certainly has achieved a high bar thus far!
    Thank you Sir.....
    Thomas Jefferson

Hi

Took the Civilian version for a spin

WOW

WOW

2 tiny issues

a bleed through at flapswitch base-->see red Arrow

the Alpha channel of the big spinner differs to rest of plane-->more dull

So far now

Thanks for that gem , no better diamond

Roland
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-4-26_20-14-45-888.jpg   2017-4-26_20-13-31-622.jpg  

That looks like the original vc, not Gordon's new one
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

When using CTRL + I there is no catapult preload action. Was it added yet? Right now I'd have to deck launch it.
    Ummmm...
    Did you hit SHFT+U first?
    Then SHFT+I, not CTRL+I?
    I'm not a member of the Beta team (I'm already a Beta for FSDT's F/A-18C), so I can't test this, wonderful looking, upgrade to the 'Cat's cockpit, but maybe what I mentioned is your cat launch trouble?
    OR...Does this bird need the [launch_Assist] section added to the aircraft.cfg? If it's not built into the .MDL file, you need to do that.
    If it has the [launch_assist] section, have you tried adjusting the launch bar lug positioning, either longitudinal or vertical? It's longitudinal position should be just a hair forward, like .001 or so, or the same as, the contact point for the nose gear. The launch bar, not the lug which I will get to, should be about 2/3 of the way down the nose gear, and the vertical for the lug should put it the rest of the way. So, if the nosegear length (vertical position) in the contact point section is, just for example, 10, the launch bar vertical position should be about 6.6, and the lug would therefore be about 3.4. Thus, the two added together, will add up to the 10 of the nose gear.
    All are rough estimates, but a place to start.

I don't know if this is any help or not...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Military Black

G,

Why is this one called Military Black?

What is that big red button for (yellow circle)? I don't think it works anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post
    Hi

Took the Civilian version for a spin

WOW

WOW

Roland
    Sorry Stupid-you can never have too much Tigercats but I have MANY

Some hanger shots on the Corral Sea

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Ummmm...
    Did you hit SHFT+U first?
    Then SHFT+I, not CTRL+I?
    I'm not a member of the Beta team (I'm already a Beta for FSDT's F/A-18C), so I can't test this, wonderful looking, upgrade to the 'Cat's cockpit, but maybe what I mentioned is your cat launch trouble?
    OR...Does this bird need the [launch_Assist] section added to the aircraft.cfg? If it's not built into the .MDL file, you need to do that.
    If it has the [launch_assist] section, have you tried adjusting the launch bar lug positioning, either longitudinal or vertical? It's longitudinal position should be just a hair forward, like .001 or so, or the same as, the contact point for the nose gear. The launch bar, not the lug which I will get to, should be about 2/3 of the way down the nose gear, and the vertical for the lug should put it the rest of the way. So, if the nosegear length (vertical position) in the contact point section is, just for example, 10, the launch bar vertical position should be about 6.6, and the lug would therefore be about 3.4. Thus, the two added together, will add up to the 10 of the nose gear.
    All are rough estimates, but a place to start.

I don't know if this is any help or not...
    Pat☺
    Been there, done that, got the "T" shirt Gordon doesn't have it launch equipped yet. So it has to be deck launched for now. Turn the boat into the wind and let er rip. See # 313. ^

Performance:

i use w7,intel3700k@4,6ghz,gtx680,p3d3.4.....perfomance is no problem,smoth and very good frames

Instrumentation
    GPS work,autopilot work......
    gps show not the same speed as gauge......

fuelselector work only for left engine,fuel of right stay on.....

Fun to fly this bird,
    cheers
    Ralf

Blog Entries
    G, Why is this one called Military Black?
    What is that big red button for (yellow circle)? I don't think it works anyway.
    That's the all black interior Butch. Spec was black upper with chromate green below the bottom edge of the panel. I did an all black, just because I think it's gorgeous.
    The big red button is the oxygen flow regulator. I still need to build and code a "blinker". That goes just aft of the hood crank. WIP.

Great screen caps BTW.
    Last edited by gman5250; April 26th, 2017 at 18:42.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Gordon doesn't have it launch equipped yet. So it has to be deck launched for now. Turn the boat into the wind and let er rip. See # 313. ^
    I'm still doing the background on carrier based operations. The Tigercat was too big and fast for WWII carriers, had some trouble with single engine stability, hook failures and came to the game very late for piston powered aircraft. Early models failed carrier qualifications primarily on single engine stability. F7F-3 resolved the early problems but was failed by a catastrophic wing failure landing heavy.

I don't have any data or pictures showing she was ever catapult capable as she never made the cut.
    The airplane will, however, fly off the deck fairly readily if the sim is set up with wind and ship speed correct. Acceleration was the best of any piston engine fighter, so this airplane was capable of non-assisted take off.

Note: Rudder trim tab, flaps and nosewheel in this excellent photo.

F7F-3N_launching_from_USS_Tarawa_(CV-40)_off_Hawaii_1946

Last edited by gman5250; April 26th, 2017 at 19:14.
    Thomas Jefferson

The airplane will, however, fly off the deck fairly readily if the sim is set up with wind and ship speed correct.
    In case anyone wants to know, the default ship's speed in FSX, with the boat placed and set in motion with AICarriers, is 25 kts. I'm not sure what WOD the 'Cat needs for a deck launch, but you can use the wind settings in FSX to make up the difference easily. I do that so I have the correct WOD for the Hornet to land, and launch.
    Heck, if they could deck launch the Corsair, the 'Cat, with it's better acceleration, should be a piece o'cake. Kinda gives a new meaning to the phrase "cat launch"

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't sure if the 'Cat had the "goodies" needed for utilizing the catapults on the FSX carriers. Now I know. It don't

Been there, done that, got the "T" shirt
    Darn embarassing, to roll up to the shuttle, THINK I've pushed all the right buttons, then roll off the end of the deck because I hadn't. Now you know why I don't use multiplayer for carrier ops. Just way too disheartening to make stupid mistakes where others can see...
    Bad enough, the lousy grades the vLSO guys give me. I personally, think they hate me. I must have offended Paddles (the Author of vLSO), and he installed special lines of code, just so the AI LSO's will give me terrible grades

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 1