F7F Tigercat New VC for FSX & P3D - Page 14
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: F7F Tigercat New VC for FSX & P3D

So I went through a test flight last night. Sorry for the long post, but here it is for what it's worth.

These were my points of interest, and my findings in addition to that which as already mentioned by foreposters:

1. Check the mapping and geometry of the VC and external model

Findings:

- there are two pipes that look to me as they might have reversed normals. See image 1.
    - on my system, I see panel screws flickering in a Z-buffer fight. See image 1 and 2.
    - from the cockpit, the inner (facing toward the fuselage) lower cowl flaps of the engines seem to intersect with another geometry. See image 3.
    - looking down in the cockpit I can see a line of stretched pixels on the edge of the cockpit seat. Might want to check the UV mapping. See image 4.
    - from outside view, I can see the cowl flaps on the back of the wings open. The top of the flap is mapped and OK, but the outer side and the inside seem have stretched pixels (flat uv map?). But maybe the texture just looks that way, I'm not 100% sure. I would suggest to map a darker texture to the inside and a proper one to the outer sides to improve the visibility of the flap system. See image 5.

2. Check cockpit functions

I checked all clickable functions, but as it is work in progress, won't comment on them, other then that those which are supposed to work, do so OK. Some have dummy mappings to cycling the canopy.

I fly with a set of Saitek switch- radio- and autopilot panels and Saitek throttles. The switches on the panel work on those functions that are mapped, and I can set the proper radio frequencies for the radios. Trim wheel works and also the gear switch. The ADF instrument homes to a NDB station properly.

3. Take off

As advertised, easy with slight rudder corrections to counter torque forces.

4. Flight characteristics - stalls in various configurations

Climbed to 5000ft, trimmed her and went through a series of stall tests in clean, flaps down, flaps and gear down tests. She stalls as expected with the stall speeds being lower with fl/gr down and even lower with only flaps down. She has no tendency to spin or nose over during a stall, she just quits flying in a level attitude and drops like a rock. There is hardly any buffeting as a warning. Recovery is to close throttles (if open) and to push forward on the stick, reaction is a bit slow so don't let that happen in low altitudes. I also noticed that she stalls before the horn (which is very faintly audible) sounds.
    You can't stall her by flying in a stable horizontal circle and then keeping tightening it without adjusting the throttle. It seems like the elevator isn't effective anymore after reaching a higher angle of attack. I did, however manage to stall her in that configuration by pulling full elevator until effectiveness is lost and then trimming her up. Again, she just quit flying and did not enter a spin.

--> Did the F7F have a trim indicator? It would be helpful to have a visual on the trim configuration, especially prior to take off.

5. System performance impact

On my system, not noticeable. It is locked at 40 fps and stays there rock solid.
    This is on P3D V3.4 latest, Windows 10, latest drivers, Core I7 3.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 970, and a full set of SSDs.

6. Landing

As you said, Gordon, it takes some planning in the landing process for allowing the speed to bleed off. Once the proper speed is established, the sinkrate can be nicely controlled by adjusting the AOA with the elevator and the vertical speed with the throttles. Very stable and nice landings!

That's all for now, and here are the images referenced above:

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7o1ix0l09y6c47/eng-1.jpg?dl=1[IMG]

Image 4:

Last edited by roger-wilco-66; April 27th, 2017 at 01:55.
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Here the rest of my images:

Image 5:

Image 6 (just for fun):

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    That's the all black interior Butch. Spec was black upper with chromate green below the bottom edge of the panel. I did an all black, just because I think it's gorgeous.
    The big red button is the oxygen flow regulator. I still need to build and code a "blinker". That goes just aft of the hood crank. WIP.

Great screen caps BTW.
    Thanks G,

I had fun taking the Tiger cat on a photo op aboard the Corral Sea

is foreposters a new word?....lol

Blog Entries
    Beta Test Information Update

At this stage, the model I uploaded is only for Prepar3D.

When I first put out the call I had mentioned it, but did not make it clear when I posted my testing guidelines.

For those of you who expressed their interest in beta testing, but are using FSX or FSX_SE, I am working on compiling that model.

My situation has been a bit challenging since I installed Windows 10. The original exterior/interior work was done in Gmax, which does not work for me after two installs of Windows 10, and completely re-building my system following a massive hack which decimated my OS. I can access Gmax, but experience endless crashes when I attempt to do any actual work.
    I've been dealing with some challenges.

My solution was to build a new 3DS Max exterior model from Mr. Shupe's original files, which I have shown on this blog, but is not airworthy...yet. The model I've shown here is fairly complete, but is in the animation stage.

Secondly, I installed FSX after the computer/OS re-build, but had not really spent any time with it. I recently modified my MS password, which borked FSX resulting in the program only running in Demo mode. I resolved that by re-installing FSX_SE. That happened two days ago.

I re-compiled the Tigercat VC as an FSX .mdl file and the airplane did open in FSX_SE and FSX. The issue at this stage is with mouse activated effects, switches and controls not functioning correctly.

This project from it's inception has been geared towards P3D and DX10-DX11 capable rendering. The process is intensely time consuming, and I have devoted thousands of hours towards it's study and development. The project has been, from its inception, a learning exercise for me. I'm primarily a scenery designer who felt the need to understand the technology of building airplanes. I felt it appropriate to share this process with the community once finished.

Now that the P3D model is at a stage where I am comfortable going into the testing phase, I can direct my attention towards FSX. The last two days I've cleared the decks, evaluated the status of my OS, software and simulators focusing on the process of converting the P3D model to an FSX model. The project will require a re-structuring of the model, code and artwork to make the airplane viable in FSX, which is DX-9 and in a very limited capacity DX-10 (with Steve's Fixer) capable.

It's a ton of work.

I sincerely appreciate the interest and enthusiasm everyone has shown towards the project. The FSX model is on it's way...but it is not a simple re-compile of a completed model.
    It's a process. Thanks for your patience.

G
    Last edited by gman5250; April 27th, 2017 at 11:33.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    F7F-3 Tigercat VC for FSX Status Update

As of this post, the FSX version of the project is flyable in FSX with these provisions:

1. All animations are operating as programed
    2. Mouse rollovers for switches and knobs are not functional at this time
    3. All switched controls i.e. mixture, flaps, prop pitch etc. must be operated via controller switches or hot keys.

If you are using FSUIPC programming for your controllers and switching, the airplane is functional and fully operational.

The mouse roll over glitch stems from my inability to point 3DS Max at the FSX SDK Aces Tools. Exporting the .x file via the P3D SDK Aces Tools exporter is not coding the roll overs correctly. I'm sorting that issue out and will hopefully be able resolve the problem quickly.

For now, you will be able to fly the three variants in FSX with the limitations I've shown above.

I'll upload those files today and forward the links to everyone who signed on.
    Last edited by gman5250; April 28th, 2017 at 09:31.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Tiger sounds

G,

No biggie, but I did observe that these two sound files (TUFUN) were in the F7F-3 Civilian & F7F-3Tanker and not in the F7F-3 Military sound folder:
    TigerHowl-l.wav
    TigerHowl-r.wav

I can just cut and past them there, just found it interesting they were left out.

I wanted to find the sound file where I hear someone saying "Clear Left"
    So I renamed xR2800_leftstarter.wav and put a .bak on it and no more "clear left". Just my preference.

I think I came across that sound in a Convair CV-240 or some such some where before.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    No biggie, but I did observe that these two sound files (TUFUN) were in the F7F-3 Civilian & F7F-3Tanker and not in the F7F-3 Military sound folder:
    TigerHowl-l.wav
    TigerHowl-r.wav
    I can just cut and past them there, just found it interesting they were left out.

I had removed those for some ground taxi video work. The howl was not necessary at ground idle IMO.
    Good ears.
    Last edited by gman5250; April 28th, 2017 at 09:29.
    Thomas Jefferson

Real Tiger sounds

I know you've seen this but I had to listen to the real engine sounds on the F7f. They do sound impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    is foreposters a new word?....lol
    :-) To my dismay. It appears to me that it has been used before, hence the prodigious glory of inventing it can not fall upon me ! :-)

Cheers,
    Mark

Tiger Sounds

G,

Wouldn't it be better to just alias the sounds from one model to the others?
    Think that would help of D/L times, and H/D real estate?
    Or maybe that was your plan all along

"B"

Blog Entries
    G,

Wouldn't it be better to just alias the sounds from one model to the others?
    Think that would help of D/L times, and H/D real estate?
    Or maybe that was your plan all along

"B"
    During development I have to approach each model as a separate entity, so each has it's own texture file library, sound set etc.
    When the package is shaken out and ready to release, I can create a comprehensive package which shares some common files, sound sets and other bits to economize things...

But....

Each airplane will have it's own appearance, interiors will vary between restoration quality, colors and service use, exterior markings and finish will also be different. Essentially, each model has to remain unique.

Of course, the end user always has the option of using alias for any models in their livery.
    Example: The HUD in the Tigercat is a generic that I have used for years. I keep one in the sim and alias everything to that, but that is something an end user must, again, create for their own custom setup.

I'm saving La Patrona and Bad Kitty for last. Different panels, gauges, radios, colors, and layout. Once we dial in the basic coding, those will be more cosmetic with modeling elements accurate to each airplane. They will also have a modified FM and sound sets to suit their present life modifications.
    Last edited by gman5250; April 28th, 2017 at 16:57.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    :-) To my dismay. It appears to me that it has been used before, hence the prodigious glory of inventing it can not fall upon me ! :-)

Cheers,
    Mark
    It is rumored that Tony Randal had a habit of learning a new word every day. In an age of LOL's and LMFAO's, I think it is more important than ever to exercise the use of language to it's fullest expression.
    Thomas Jefferson

It is rumored that Tony Randal had a habit of learning a new word every day. In an age of LOL's and LMFAO's, I think it is more important than ever to exercise the use of language to it's fullest expression.

Well said! Same thing over here. I saw people even writing business correspondence completely in lowercase characters, which I find appaling in German, because all nouns have to start with a capital. Along with that, punctution is left out as well as any logical sentence structure and at the end you read that gibberish and don't know what the hell the guy is trying to express. Not good.

Cheers,
    Mark

Icon25

Oh, yeah. Remember paragraphs ?
    Sue

When it comes to modern society's grasp of the English language, I must say that I am appalled. Here is an example of how poor it has become. I recently received a letter from a fellow dentist, updating me on a patient's progress. In the body of the letter, the letter "U" was substituted for "you". This other dentist cannot make the claim that English is his second language. Completely unprofessional and a failure to correctly use the English language.

And by the way, I am the...

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Many experts believe that the use of language is a prime indicator of the current level of a culture. If they are correct, the various cultures in today's global society are in big trouble as our use of language plummets downward into the abyss.
    Last edited by mikewmac; April 30th, 2017 at 08:06.
    Mike M.​

I know you've seen this but I had to listen to the real engine sounds on the F7f. They do sound impressive.

MEEEOW!!!!! .........you SEXY BEAST you!!!
    OS Vista 64 Home Basic
    WD 1.5 TB HD
    EVGA 550Ti 2GB MEM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS 8GB RAM
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHZ
    XION High Performance 1000W PS
    FSX/Acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by mikewmac View Post
    Many experts believe that the use of language is a prime indicator of the current level of a culture. If they are correct the various cultures in today's global society are in big trouble as our use of language plummets downward into the abyss.
    There should be a comma after 'correct'
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Linguach, I am not zo sjure, but wat I do know is that te Tigercat is an biuty!
    Outstanding job so far, Gordon!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by thefrog View Post

LOL.....love that.....im sorry i made that little joke,the word just amused me.

Blog Entries
    When I write or occasionally speak, I use a certain form of language or prose.

When I work with inherently buggy software....I use another form of language entirely.
    Thomas Jefferson

When I write or occasionally speak, I use a certain form of language or prose.

When I work with inherently buggy software....I use another form of language entirely.
    Unfortunately, after a very short time in boot camp, I began using the "other" form of language extensively.

It's a Marine thing. I AM trying very hard to break the habit, but even after this long in the civilian, and civil, world, I still slip on occasion.

I definitely agree, however, that if the quoted professor above is correct, this civilization is in deep trouble.

Well, however you choose to speak, enjoy!
    Life's too short not to.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Yes, there certainly should have been a comma placed after "correct".
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Yes, there certainly should have been a comma placed after "correct".
    I think the "Punctuation Police" have made their point and criticized my oversight on originally leaving out that comma enough, so please move on and criticize someone else's missing punctuation.

Thanks,
    Mike M.​

Members who have read this thread: 3