Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: F7F Tigercat New VC for FSX & P3D

Lovely, the work of an artist.
    Looking forward, very much.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Classic version! Yyaahhh!

I didn't want you to feel left out.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Gordon,

Nothing short of amazing! These are going to get a lot of use in my sim, once released.

Looking forward to them.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

I love the progress Gordon. It's good to know there will be factory fresh and worn gauges. Thank you for the previews.

FSX is like having Christmas almost every day. Thank you for your hard work!

Blog Entries
    Since I'm documenting the process, I thought I'd add some details.

I've been hedging on the radio sets while I developed the other VC components. The entire time I've been scouring the web for source material.I finally found an incredible source for the Bendix ARC-5 radio sets, complete with comprehensive HD photos and a 300 page original tech manual. The data allowed me to template the faceplates in 3D Studio to get hyper accurate placements and typeface styles for the modeling.

Before the digital age of instant fonts, type facing was done by hand. I am the proud owner of an original LeRoy Lettering set that was handed down to me from my dad who used it while working for Jack Northrop as a flight test engineer developing the original YB-49 flying wing. The set is complete and in pristine condition with the expanded set of large letter rules. I've had this set for many, many years and intend to re-produce digital copies of ink lettering from the original LeRoy set. Once I get a master set on velum, I can digitize those and turn them into font sets. That's a ways down the road, but on my punch list.

These are some photos of the first development set of ARC-5 radios for this airplane. There were a number of radio options in the F7F, so I'll be making a few variants. One thing I was able to resource was the actual texture of the paint on the boxes. I've tried to reproduce the heavy textured "hammer" finish in the modeling. The effect is very close to my reference data.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Gordon,

Like all your work on the Tigercat so far, that is just stunning!

Great job, and really love your attention to detail, and making sure things are right.

Cheers

Paul

Wow !!! Mike

Simply amazing! This cat just keeps getting better!

Wow,wish you could have heard me say that,lol,mom busted in my room thinking I'd just moaned ow,low n slow like..lol..anyway G that's just awesome,love your work.looking forward to the finished product.

Again some of progress and again we see great work,
    the truth is such that I can't wait! Thank YOU!!!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Gordon,

-Really gorgeous!

Alain
    -

Gordon,

can you show some of the pics in FSX/P3D and stop showing us real photos of the equipment???

Wow!

No other words for it.

A
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Looks really great, Gordon!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    More, much more, than payware quality, Gordon! Great job!

This ranks right up there amongst the best texturing I've ever seen. From any release/developer and at any price. Great work Gordon.

Man, you weren't kidding about the textures on the radio sets. They look so real it felt like I could just reach through my screen into those pics and adjust the sets; yeah, they look that good.

That's also really cool about the lettering set you have and your Dad's work on the YB-49. Did he happen to work on the YRB-49 as well? It's also lucky for us that you were able to find a manual for the radio set as well. Your work on this bird is far surpassing anything I was expecting and I think we're all going to be truly grateful for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    That's also really cool about the lettering set you have and your Dad's work on the YB-49. Did he happen to work on the YRB-49 as well? It's also lucky for us that you were able to find a manual for the radio set as well. Your work on this bird is far surpassing anything I was expecting and I think we're all going to be truly grateful for it.
    Dad worked at Northrop in the wind tunnel and out at Edwards until the mid sixties. Yeah, he was on the YRB-49, T-38, F-5 and a bunch of the others. He got the axe after the aerospace crunch hit and we lost our family airplane...to my dismay. Good story for him though, he was hired back as the Chief Corporate Pilot in the early seventies and finished out his career flying the execs around in the G2. It was a coveted spot, and he had earned it.

The LeRoy set is complimented by his set of drafting pens and slide rule. All are carrying on the tradition through me, although I have moved into the digital arena. I grew up living and breathing airplanes...funny how things evolve over the course of a lifetime.

BTW...if any of the old timers here remember Hobby House Plans Service...that was my dad too.

This brings up a topic of great interest to me. I've been using the F7F Tigercat project as a training platform to achieve a level of proficiency equal to the marketplace. I've been thinking, very seriously about the YB-49 & YRB-49 as serious projects for release as payware. It only seems fitting, and the need for state-of-the-art renditions of those two aircraft has not been met...yet. They sure would be lovely.
    Thomas Jefferson

Gordo .. Don't ya just love the family ties then adding your own little effort ... would make your Dad as proud as punch

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    ...I've been using the F7F Tigercat project as a training platform to achieve a level of proficiency equal to the marketplace. I've been thinking, very seriously about the YB-49 & YRB-49 as serious projects for release as payware...
    You are certainly reaching your goals sir.

I'd love to see the YB-49. It could be fun, not sure if the market value is there, however.
    I'm following the F-15 Reporter project with interest. Still holding out for a P-61.

While I'm thinking about it..

Razbam's A-26 which was being built under license for I believe A2A (for their Aircraft Factory line), has seemed to have disappeared. I made effort to contact Raz but with no avail. So the A-26 seems to once again be needed for development, and would fit in as a natural spring-board from the F7F, but with great market potential.

Virtually no good native B-26 at the moment either..

Or B-25 for that matter.
    During my brief stint with Vertigo Studios the B-25 was very much a potential release. However with Deanno shifting toward non-FSX related projects, I'm not sure he'll ever find coders to finish the Mitchell. Someone should approach him with a small handful of cash, buy the project and finish it.

Although.. John Terrell has mentioned a B-25 someday..would be very fitting.

With this said, anything you pursue will be great! Love the Northrop stuff..so...

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Blog Entries
    As long as we are on this topic.

My first serious texture work was on Milton's A-26 FSX Native conversion. The idea of doing a high end version of the A-26 has not escaped me, however there is an A-26K in the pipe and I'm not going to step on any toes.

Also on my list of potentials.

de Havilland Hornet/Sea Hornet Dare I say even more sexy than the Mosquito??? And very close to the F7F as a stablemate.
    de Havilland Comet...not the jet, but the racer.
    B-25 Mitchell...the screaming hole needing to be filled
    Beechcraft D-18
    Cessna UC78
    Thomas Jefferson

I am in total agreement.... The B-25 is really a screaming hole that needs filled with something that really allows you to feel the power and performance of the Mitchell. Both an Early "Raiders" Model and a Later J would be wildly popular. Now I'm gonna have to go watch 'CATCH-22' again..... Ha Ha!!

Blog Entries
    It's my humble opinion that the B-25 should be given a place of honor, and undertaken by the developer most worthy of the task.

If John Terrell, Bill Leaming/Milviz or Scott Gentile/A2A were even considering these projects, they would be the rightful heirs to the legacy. I want to make that statement on the record.

There are so many potential projects, and so few developers to take them on, there should be no reason for anyone to be in lack of potential opportunity. I had the need, and opportunity, to enter into the arena and have devoted many thousands of hours in the last five years learning the trade. I still have a very long way to go in the process. If I can contribute in some way to the marketplace, and bring some enjoyment to others along the way, I will have achieved my goal.

You are all very kind, and supportive. I appreciate every word.

Gordon
    Last edited by gman5250; February 5th, 2017 at 16:03.
    Thomas Jefferson

I've long wanted a YRB-49, and a YB-49 for that matter. My wallet's ready. If you need some information let me know, as I have some decent information on both programs.

Members who have read this thread: 3