As the nature of things progress...
Page 1 of 20 12345678911 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 487

Thread: As the nature of things progress...

  1. #1

    As the nature of things progress...

    Friends; in answer to interest and requests on how various projects are shaping up, I'll do my best to keep all you good folk updated.

    So here goes...first shot;

    No.1 priority is the completion of Milton's amazing Grumman Mallard (turboprop) VC textures and sounds.

    The textures are very near completion. Simultaneously doing some touch-ups on gauges, tackling light maps in a few days.
    As usual, Milton has most graciously done mapping marvels to satisfy our greediness for resolution.

    We already have a good working base for the soundtrack - received 3 very awesome CD's from the Skipper - packed with authentic Mallard sound material, a couple of days ago. So this can be expected to significantly boost up the present level of din!







    I have already posted some screenies on the relevant thread for Milton's Grumman Mallard and will continue to do so.
    The pics here are to illustrate the exciting way projects are so often inter-realated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2016-may-28-002.jpg   -2016-may-28-001b.jpg   -2016-may-28-001.jpg  
    Last edited by nigel richards; May 27th, 2016 at 09:52.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  2. #2
    So, not forgetting the Bounty scenery Project...





    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2016-may-28-004.jpg   -2016-may-28-003.jpg   -2016-may-28-002b.jpg  
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  3. #3
    If anyone would be interested in making the Bounty Scenery a TEAM Project, I would be thrilled to provide all source Materials to bring this overdue Project to fruition.

    Most of the items needed, are already in place - most of the work would be lightweight Adex scenery for the airfield and some tinkering with Sbuilder to adjust surroundings.





    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2016-may-28-006.jpg   -2016-may-28-005.jpg   -2016-may-28-007.jpg  
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  4. #4

    AVRO 621 Tutor - Trainer/646 Sea Tutor Project

    The AVRO Trainers Project now comprises 6 models.

    1. AVRO 621 Trainer (early 5-cyl Mongoose powered)
    2. AVRO 621 Trainer (close-cowled 7-cyl Lynx powered)
    3. AVRO 621 Tutor (Townend cowled Lynx).

    All 3 basic versions have now been fitted with custom-built floats, representing 3 additional models.





    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2016-may-28-018.jpg   -2016-may-28-016.jpg   -2016-may-28-020.jpg  
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  5. #5

    nearly there...

    The Tutor models and textures are now a culmination of 8 months work.

    And I cannot even begin to Express in words, my deeply felt gratitude and esteem for Milton Shupe.
    Without his most gracious inspiration, advice and mentoring, I wouldn't have made it beyond the first poly.

    This one's in your honour, Sir.






    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2016-may-28-029.jpg   -2016-may-28-032.jpg   -2016-may-28-021.jpg  
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  6. #6

    FS9 to FSX and hopefully beyond...

    Yesterday, Roman Stoviak most brilliantly pushed the quality margins up beyond the horizon with the addition of fully automated leading edge slats!

    Of-course, if you want to aerobat the AVRO's (and I know most of you will), you simply just click the lever back to LOCK!




    YES! He did that, too..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2016-may-28-031.jpg  
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  7. #7

    Very, very, very impressive Nigel!

    This is something I am really ready to download NOW!!!
    Very realistic look to it... Kudos

    G.

  8. #8
    So......an Avro 504 and a Gloster Gauntlet got drunk and went home together.....and this is the result. You know you're just encouraging this sort of behaviour when you make it look so good, Nigel......

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    This is something I am really ready to download NOW!!!
    Very realistic look to it... Kudos

    Thank YOU - very, very, very much my friend! :-)

    G.
    Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    So......an Avro 504 and a Gloster Gauntlet got drunk and went home together.....and this is the result. You know you're just encouraging this sort of behaviour when you make it look so good, Nigel......
    MAGOOOOO!!!

    Where in heaven's name have you been - thought you'd given up on us.
    My, this is a grand surprise, indeed.

    Gloster Gauntlet...could be on someone's list...
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Gloster Gauntlet...could be on someone's list...
    The Tudor is coming along very nicely, Nigel... Cracking fine job you have done with her so far! Very impressive... but you have always produced excellent goodies for FS9.

    I know what you're up to when you speak of the "Gauntlet" being on "someone's list", as it were. Let's not lead on, mate... "Gauntlet"... then the "Grebe"... lol!

    BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

  11. #11
    MAGOOOOO!!!
    Hey Nigel,

    A little erratic spare time has allowed me to delve back into electric airplanes for a bit. Oddly enough, a new graphics card was all it took to make that dusty old copy of FSX suddenly runable. Nice experience, but man....a lot of catching up to do. Amazing new planes (too many), plus getting over my pout thinking so many old favorites would be left behind, only to find out that they port over nicely with a little effort. If a CR.32 buzzes your place, don't try to shoot it down. It's probably virtual me.

    Beautiful work you've done on that Avro. I'm surprised that you're building planes...but then...I'm not so surprised. This is inspiring, and leaves me thinking that the world may in fact not be totally going to hell in a hand basket.

    Interesting that with two main wings of an apparently vast square yardage.....that Avro would elect to nail on a pair of Handley Page slats. Is it that they wanted to create a plane with such a low stall speed that with the slightest breeze you could tether it to any high structure like a dingy floating on the tide, and leave it in the air....? Sure would save on airfield parking fees....

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    The Tudor is coming along very nicely, Nigel... Cracking fine job you have done with her so far! Very impressive... but you have always produced excellent goodies for FS9.

    I know what you're up to when you speak of the "Gauntlet" being on "someone's list", as it were. Let's not lead on, mate... "Gauntlet"... then the "Grebe"... lol!

    BB686
    LOL. Better get these babies finished First.

    Awesome to have your long-standing, staunch support and behind-the-scenes input, testing and frankness. :-)


    Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    Hey Nigel,

    A little erratic spare time has allowed me to delve back into electric airplanes for a bit. Oddly enough, a new graphics card was all it took to make that dusty old copy of FSX suddenly runable. Nice experience, but man....a lot of catching up to do. Amazing new planes (too many), plus getting over my pout thinking so many old favorites would be left behind, only to find out that they port over nicely with a little effort. If a CR.32 buzzes your place, don't try to shoot it down. It's probably virtual me.

    Beautiful work you've done on that Avro. I'm surprised that you're building planes...but then...I'm not so surprised. This is inspiring, and leaves me thinking that the world may in fact not be totally going to hell in a hand basket.

    Interesting that with two main wings of an apparently vast square yardage.....that Avro would elect to nail on a pair of Handley Page slats. Is it that they wanted to create a plane with such a low stall speed that with the slightest breeze you could tether it to any high structure like a dingy floating on the tide, and leave it in the air....? Sure would save on airfield parking fees....
    Welcome Home Magoo,

    Electric airplanes sound fun!
    I pranged too many scratch, scale glow-plugs and was saved by FS.

    Man it's good to have you around here, again - missed the witt, humor and also vast aeronautical knowledge with which you have always enriched this site.

    Funny you should mention the HP slats - Roy Chadwick obviously had some good purpose in his Logic. And this was adopted in later aircraft such as the Fairey Swordfish (which I highly suspect, was designed with one eye glued to the Tutor). Ahhh! The 'Stringbag'...that wonderfully versatile monument to drag.

    CR. 32...should I dare to hope for such a beautiful sight in our awesome virtual skies?...
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    This is something I am really ready to download NOW!!!
    Very realistic look to it... Kudos

    G.
    gaucho_59; Apologies for somehow muddling up my gratitude with your quote

    Thank YOU very, very, very much, Sir. :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  14. #14
    Senior Administrator huub vink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Noordwijk, The Netherlands (EHVB)
    Age
    60
    Posts
    6,687
    All very interesting project, but the Avro really has my attention!

    And a Gauntlet would really be great. Frank Elton's FS2002 is really showing its age and isn't really repaint friendly.

    Cheers,
    Huub

  15. #15
    Senior Administrator Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    EGCD...they bulldozed it!
    Age
    66
    Posts
    9,613
    I am so looking forward to flying the Tutor! Looks like a great work Nigel.
    SYSTEM :
    OS:Win7 Home Premium 64 bit UAC OFF!
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

    To err is human; to forgive is divine

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    All very interesting project, but the Avro really has my attention!

    And a Gauntlet would really be great. Frank Elton's FS2002 is really showing its age and isn't really repaint friendly.

    Cheers,
    Huub
    Huub: I promise you won't be disappointed from a texturing point of view.

    Even by FSX standards (and she performs seamlessly in that fine sim), the texture sheets provide excellent opportunities for the much loved and appreciated masterpieces of gifted artists like yourself.

    Each wing (and top Centre section) has a texture sheet of its own. The fuselage is split in TWO - so rivets, fasteners, stitching and other small details...even fabric, can be joyessly worked on to your heart's desire.

    And with so many Air Forces choosing the AVRO Tutor in the 1930's - the sky's your limit for colour schemes. :-)

    I'll be eagerly looking forward to your awesome artistry, Huub!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I am so looking forward to flying the Tutor! Looks like a great work Nigel.
    Roger - I am sooo looking forward to giving you the opportunity of some real wind-in-face, open air fun-flying, my friend. :-)

    A massive THANKS for your kind words and support - it is very much appreciated. :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  18. #18
    SOH-CM-2017
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Deux-Sevres, France
    Age
    80
    Posts
    1,343
    She looks phantastic...how do you get all those polys looking so smooth & then getting the model to compile without tripping the inevitable dreaded 64k poly limit thrown in ones face?
    Keith

  19. #19

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    She looks phantastic...how do you get all those polys looking so smooth & then getting the model to compile without tripping the inevitable dreaded 64k poly limit thrown in ones face?
    Keith
    Thanks Dev One - aaaaagh the dreaded poly count! No easy way out; I started out being way too lavish in some areas and ended up re-building many of them 3 - 4 times until there was a satisfactory balance between smoothness and poly quota. It's all a great juggling act really... :-)



    Quote Originally Posted by darrenvox View Post
    looks amazing
    Thank You, darrenvox :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Thanks Dev One - aaaaagh the dreaded poly count! No easy way out; I started out being way too lavish in some areas and ended up re-building many of them 3 - 4 times until there was a satisfactory balance between smoothness and poly quota. It's all a great juggling act really... :-)

    Thank You, darrenvox :-)
    It's a common problem with new modelers when building parts to look good in gmax at 2-5' from that part. In the sim however, exterior parts are typically viewed at 20-30', are textured, shaded, "noised up", and low poly parts look just fine at those distances. Of course, in the VC, there are different things at play and high poly parts are more important, although difficult to accomplish in FS9.

    Eventually, modelers find a happy medium where polys and part shapes are balanced and practical and allow for great viewing and good performance even in complex weather or high density scenery. We do have to be mindful that the aircraft is not the only thing being rendered in the sim and leave some capacity for scenery and weather.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners My Uploads on SOH

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    It's a common problem with new modelers when building parts to look good in gmax at 2-5' from that part. In the sim however, exterior parts are typically viewed at 20-30', are textured, shaded, "noised up", and low poly parts look just fine at those distances. Of course, in the VC, there are different things at play and high poly parts are more important, although difficult to accomplish in FS9.

    Eventually, modelers find a happy medium where polys and part shapes are balanced and practical and allow for great viewing and good performance even in complex weather or high density scenery. We do have to be mindful that the aircraft is not the only thing being rendered in the sim and leave some capacity for scenery and weather.
    Aaaaaah Skipper. :-)

    What an honour and great privilege to be under the watchful guidance and wisdom of a true Master modeler. :-)

    Yes Sir! VC modeling and teh dreaded FS9 vertice mangles of the 4mm weld limit (sigh).
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Aaaaaah Skipper. :-)

    What an honour and great privilege to be under the watchful guidance and wisdom of a true Master modeler. :-)

    Yes Sir! VC modeling and teh dreaded FS9 vertice mangles of the 4mm weld limit (sigh).
    Well, any new developing skills take time but you have managed to accomplish in a relative short time what required years of trial and error for me. Your Tutor project is a testament to your talent and artistry. She is a beauty to behold.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners My Uploads on SOH

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Well, any new developing skills take time but you have managed to accomplish in a relative short time what required years of trial and error for me. Your Tutor project is a testament to your talent and artistry. She is a beauty to behold.
    Thank you Milton, for being there each step of the way - I am most humbled and honoured by your most gracious words, Skipper.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Eventually, modelers find a happy medium where polys and part shapes are balanced and practical and allow for great viewing and good performance even in complex weather or high density scenery. We do have to be mindful that the aircraft is not the only thing being rendered in the sim and leave some capacity for scenery and weather.
    As you and your team so eloquently mastered... with the Experimental Republics cockpits, both 2D and VC. What amazing works of art those "pits" are... the leather seats in each are sooooo comfortable, and you can almost smell the environment inside those planes. One of sun baked leather and the slight odiferous 'tinge' of the 'mechanisms'.

    BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members who have read this thread: 191

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •